Replica 2Hap.

5Bel

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words. While I was wiating for the relevant MJT bits to turn up I managed to make a model out of the cut off ends that I have aquired doing this and my 4Epb. I will post pics of it soon. Can anyone guess what it is?

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi All,

While I was waiting for the MJT parts to finish the Hap, I decided to make something out of the scrap ends that I had amassed while doing the Hap and Epb conversions. I was looking on the Departmentals.com website and saw a train heating boiler van. I realised I would be able to make an interpretation of one with the leftovers. Here it is,

post-7006-093907700 1292085674_thumb.jpg

It utilises two suburban ends and BG doors and windows and is mounted on a parkside 12' chassis. It looks OK from a distance.

Cheers for now, Ian

Ah, I've just got back, and logged in ('cos I'm interested)

And, lo & behold,..I said to myself (always doing that, these days),....That's a B.R. Mk.1 Horse Box, (HB)

On closer viewing :blink: , I made up my mind, that, although it being very close, it was, indeed, not.

Have you got any B.R. / TOPS Code for this vehicle ? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Again, 5Bel, many thanks for a very informative build / thread :good_mini:

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

that's a cracking wee beastie ian, built much like the real thing, body and roof panels put together on a wagon chassis! :D

of course, also a good way of using all those 'spare' bits lying around.

link on departmentals.com:

http://www.departmentals.com/photos.php?cat=DS (scroll down to ADS 70185)

a comment on the photo of this particular one gives the origins of these boiler vans:

"An excerpt from the April 1963 Southern Carriage and Wagon Society Notes gives the origins of theses vehicles:

'Steam Heating - Boiler Vans - DS70185/6/7/8/9 are "0 SR Train Heating Boiler Van", all Southampton Docks; built at Eastleigh on 20ton mineral wagon u/frames:, 21'6" over buffers, wheelbase 12ft; not vacuum braked; new bodywork resembling a BR horsebox. DS 70190/1 are similar but larger, converted at Ashford from SCVs, suitable for use in express passenger trains, vacuum braked, 26ft over buffers, wheelbase 17'6"; existing body structure steel-sheeted. Both types have oleo-pneumatic buffers, automatic oil-fired boilers, a blue light to indicate "boiler steaming", an orange warning light showing fault (with automatic boiler shut-down) and fault alarm bell. 70185-9 take 880 gals water, 280 gals oil; 70190/1 take 360 gals fuel, 1000 gals water. 70185 is dated 5.2.62 - 70190/1 are for Bournemouth West, or Weymouth if required.'

further pics at paul bartlett's site: http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1832220.html

can't see any coding on these, but presumably would be Zxx?

EDIT: a quick flick through a book i have has ZSP/ZSV for 'train pre-heating unit'

Hi All,

Again, thanks for the comments and the explanation. Ceptic, I hadn't thought of a horsebox. I might have a look to see if it is possible, don't see any reason why not. The steam heat van will lurk on a siding in the EMU depot on my as yet unstarted layout.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• 6 years later...

I'll be interested to see how you get on with it - you're the first person that I've heard of actually using one! I might give one a try when I get round to finishing my VEP (odds are that the Hornby one will be out first! laugh.gif )

I was right, it was :lol:   My Replica/MJT VEP is still a collection of parts under my workbench.

Archived