Heljan Kestrel is here

Guest Phil

Spotted one in Modellers Mecca yesterday looking absolutely stunning. Top marks to Heljan for producing the beast.

Can't justify one for Sedgeley Jn though !!

Hi Pete.

I'm quite sure Kessie will be a sellout without my help thank you !!!

D0280 - yes - I'll definately need one, so messrs Heljan, if you are listening - two or three years time will be really good.

Think its a great looking model of the prototype, more than captures the original brilliantly. Both examples I've converted to EM Gauge this afternoon are superb slow speed runners, high speed trials will have to wait until a visit to a suitable piece of EM ECML!!

Evenin' all

Dropped into Hattons today and had to practically clamber over the boxes from Heljan. Every pigeonhole for outbound post contained a lovely blue box, so if you ordered yours from Hattons, it is definitely on it's way.

Simply stunning !!

I have model of Winchester (SR) around 1978

- "Kestrel" simply didn't go to Russia but spent its days working York - Bournemouth inter-regional trains ;) - running over the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton (which was never closed after all) alongside the small batch of Claytons re-allocated to Eastleigh to work oil trains out of Fawley. See where I'm going with this..... :D

Now how do I get them class 15's in ??????

Got a call from Hattons this afternoon, Sunday !!!They were just confirming my order placed in Jan 09 for this model.. Model on its way, 2-4 days, can't wait... Just need somebody to do DP2... Surely won't be long now......

Ah, come on. Buy one! We still need Lion and an affordable 10000/10001.

Anyone measured the fan grills yet and sourced an appropriate etched part?

14.75mm ... Bachmann fan grill on the Class 47 is also 14.75mm. So maybe Shawplan 47's? I don't have any in my "stores" so can't give a measurement.

On Kestrel, I've just noticed under certain lighting conditions there is an impression of the spinning fans under the grills much like the Lima 40 but more subtle. A good bit of tool making. Makes up for the visible mould lines on the roof.

Also as the loco in in ECML (and later) spec. the two raised sections on the pressurising fan access plate should be removed and intake grills for the same were profiled to the roof curve. That??™s the area immediately behind the closer spaced fan group.

See:

Phot of Kestral 1

Also apparent from this pic is that the loco had Steam engine type wind deflectors in front of the drivers side window.

And you ask later...

1N06? It was the 07:55 am from Kings Cross to Newcastle. See:

My link

hth

Porcy

Also as the loco in in ECML (and later) spec. the two raised sections on the pressurising fan access plate should be removed and intake grills for the same were profiled to the roof curve. That??™s the area immediately behind the closer spaced fan group.

See:

Phot of Kestral 1

Also apparent from this pic is that the loco had Steam engine type wind deflectors in front of the drivers side window.

Hi all,

Looking at the photos this small grill seems to have been a bit of an afterthought.

Here's a pic of Kestrel after completion. The grill seems to be absent (far end)

http://www.derbysulz...mpletelarge.jpg

Later the roof as per the model...

http://www.derbysulz...00coaltrain.jpg

And finally as mentioned above.

http://commons.wikim...en_Day_1971.jpg

Simply stunning !!

- "Kestrel" simply didn't go to Russia but spent its days working York - Bournemouth inter-regional trains ;) - running over the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton (which was never closed after all) alongside the small batch of Claytons re-allocated to Eastleigh to work oil trains out of Fawley. See where I'm going with this..... :D

Presumably your model still has the up yard in place in preference to it being a car park?

And with redundant class 07's from Soton docks replacing the old B4 that used to work there too?

As for the DN&S, I was walking over Hockley (Shawford) viaduct a couple of weekends ago on the way to Winchester, getting a bit ropey on the parapets these days, seems strange to think that my father was driving trains across it shortly before the line finally closed.

My Kestrel arrived a couple of days ago and very pleased with it I am too, if only your prediction for its XC work had come to fruition I might have got a few cab rides in the thing, would have made a change from 47's anyway :D

I don't mean to pour cold water on things but I have a problem with my Kestrel, which I collected today. When I took it out of the box at home to test it, I found the buffer beam at one end had snapped off and was hanging by the ETH cable. Also very minor damage to the body end. I rang the shop, which will not be named, and the proprietor informed me that a few others in their consignment also had broken buffer beams, all at one end only. Most were OK though.

By the way, 1N06 was an East Coast 'high-speed' set of air-braked stock, formed 3 TSO IIa, RB, RU, 2 FO, BFK IIa. RU and Mark IIa stock from Bachmann. RB from Mainline. FO from Replica.

• Like 1

By the way, 1N06 was an East Coast 'high-speed' set of air-braked stock, formed 3 TSO IIa, RB, RU, 2 FO, BFK IIa. RU and Mark IIa stock from Bachmann. RB from Mainline. FO from Replica.

1N06 was the 07.55 Kings Cross-Newcastle and 1A32 was the 16.45 return service.

Mark

Thanks for that Robert. Good info, and confirmed by John Boyes photograph linked above. Saves a bit of research into what the coaches were at the Kings X end. My dilemma now is whether to repaint my maroon RB.

Sorry to here about damage. Howes have full sets of spare sprues available but hopefully you'll not need to resort to them

Thanks again,

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Really do like the model, the slightly naff horns aside (easily corrected) but is it evily wrong of me to think about stripping one down and respraying it in two tone green or even rail blue....? :D

Simply stunning !!

Quite easy.

It is not commonly known granted, but a D82xx was diagrammed for the Micheldever shunt turn. It worked out of Eastleigh late evening shunting Winchester en-route. The night turn at Micheldever had the loco to shunt with all night, then it worked back to Eastleigh mid morning the next day.

I've heard that on occasions one worked over to Salisbury too, but this was never diagrammed.

Not seen any evidence of the class at Keyhaven though, although Eastleigh men did sign down there :D:rolleyes:

By far Heljan's best to date, nice attention to detail like the labeling on the ETH fitting -(Other manfacturers take note), just a small comment that does not detrach from such a fine model, but the window frames could have been a little more flush and painted aluminium.

Roll on the Lion/DP2/Blue Pullman.

Isn't it strange that 40 years ago we could design such an iconic machine and yet in 2009 we have the Class 70 looking like something knocked up on 'Blue Peter'' .(Maybe the first one should be named ''Shep'').

A superb model. Who would have though we would get a RTR 'one-off/short life' diesel loco such as this from the proprietory manufacturers.

Someone said in a Trains4U thread... "Who would be the first to repaint one in Corporate Blue?" So I thought I would use the opportunity to try and post a digitally altered Train4U shot on this new site....

post-6680-12554283763446_thumb.jpg