Heljan Kestrel is here

Guest Phil

• RMweb Premium

I've posted in a seperate thread, but had a call from Howes that Heljan are proving some revised CV values for the lighting if you are running on DCC. They apparently feel the lighting is too bright on factory default settings.

http://www.Heljan.dk/faste_filer/modul.asp?vis=nyhedmod&fModul=web588.asp&mode=laesnyhed&artikelid=245

Hi,

I've just had a phone call from Howes (having received a Kestrel from them a few days ago) to enquire if I used DCC and to inform me about this very subject. First class service from Howes I think (no connections etc. etc) :icon_clap:

Brian.

p.s. I think Kestrel is fantastic - no sign of any bad seams etc. in the moulding whatsoever and I can't see any problem with the horns either; so maybe a little dimple in the end would've been nice but hey, so what. They even made the horns different lengths, for the twin tone sound. Fantastic.

The only thing I can note is that when starting off very slowly the headcode lighting flickers a bit - but to sort that Heljan would've needed electronics etc. which would put the price up. So no complaints from me :icon_smile:

Mine arrived yesterday and has already been seen on the ACElaugh.gif Good to see that the valance is easily removable. I have disconnected the blind lighting as I don't think it really needs them. Did the same on my Clayton as well. As for others comments on the typeface, I thought that this was unique to Kestrel. Painted the exhausts black and also the front of the horns as can be seen on my Somercombe blog. Overall very pleased with it, although I am still trying to work out why I bought it in the first placeblink.gif . It doesn't fit in my time frame and it was never seen around these parts. But then again, I like it.

Now that Heljan have brought out Falcon and Kestrel, one can't help wondering how long it will be before they announce Lion.

That might be the difference in using a box shifter as opposed to a model shop. I got mine from Gareth at Trains4U and the couplings were supplied in the box in a little zippy bag. I don't know, but suspect that it might even have been tested before shipping. certainly had no problems with mine, no damage, well packed - very, very happy bunny biggrin.gif

Quite likely but it was an impulse buy when browsing the Hattons website one evening.

Have to say the replacement buffer beam arrived this morning so can't fault the response.

Mike

Now that Heljan have brought out Falcon and Kestrel, one can't help wondering how long it will be before they announce Lion.

Yeesss pleeeez !!!!

Of the prototype diesels, Lion was the only one to have been associated with the Midlands. The big ivory BRCW beast would be most welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Yeesss pleeeez !!!!

Of the prototype diesels, Lion was the only one to have been associated with the Midlands. The big ivory BRCW beast would be most welcome.

eh? since when was Mansfield & Shirebrook not in the midlands?

Lion would be tempting though, I must admit ......

I would imagine they must have at least considered Lion, it would make sense to complement the other oddball prototype releases, the other remaining obvious choice of DP2 probably being best left for conversion from the Bachmann Deltic by those keen on tinkering?

Heljan do seem to have a fairly large back catalogue at present, and in these current times perhaps may not feel it prudent to announce yet another large diesel, though if they do I will not be complaining.

The idea of Lion as an RTR is definitely one that appeals - forming a little trinity of prototype diesels in Heljan's reserve. I'm not sure after Kestrel you can aim the same "limited sphere of operation, interest" etc arguments at Lion, which I'm wondering if we could accurately predict its entry into the market in 2011...

Unless Heljan have already been working on it, in which case roll on 2010! ;)

The point I'm making, is that both Falcon and Kestrel have sold enough surely to warrant a third unusual d/e prototype.

Hell - having said that - who's up for DP2 from Bachmann?! :D

• RMweb Premium

'Waverley Deltic' probably. Cue Ebay at a 700 note buy it now price.....:icon_e_surprised::icon_mrgreen:

More importantly I suspect, who's got Number 1.......

Heljan probably....

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Writing first post in this new version of RMweb.

Lovely model, but my feel is that the headcode characters are too small - something in common with the class 27s and Claytons.

No evidence in terms of dimensions, just an "eyeball" thing.

Anyone looked at changing the headcodes?

Looking at pictures of the real Kestrel, it did seem to have a different typeface for its headcodes than any other diesel on BR.

Mine arrived from Hattons with the buffer beam at one end hanging off and the mounting spigots still in the holes on the chassis. However, since I want it to have a coupling at one end only I have fitted the alternative buffer beam with no pipework and will keep the damaged one for possible future repair and re-use. The model runs beautifully (as Heljan mechs should!).

I fitted a TCS MiP-UK decoder and set it to address 4000 and turned the light settings down to a value of 2 in CV64. That makes the tail lights much more acceptable but the headcode still appears very bright.

I fitted a TCS MiP-UK decoder and set it to address 4000 and turned the light settings down to a value of 2 in CV64. That makes the tail lights much more acceptable but the headcode still appears very bright.

See our DCC fitting guide at http://www.bromsgrov...reldccinstr.htm for full instructions for setting CVs for TCS decoders.

I'm back, after trying those settings, John. I have to report that using the "constant dim" settings in CVs 49 and 50 failed, and resulted in a constant flickering instead. I reverted to the defaults for those CVs.

As far as diesel prototypes go the real joker in the pack must be DHP1- the Clayton hydraulic (the mind boggles!). Mind you only about 10 people ever saw the beast

and it only ran on a few goods lines around Derby. How about it Heljan!

• RMweb Premium

As far as diesel prototypes go the real joker in the pack must be DHP1- the Clayton hydraulic (the mind boggles!). Mind you only about 10 people ever saw the beast

I would buy one as to has me as in the form of how did the keep four engines working in balance.

Terry

D0270 Taurus? I don't think that one was ever seen in daylight.