Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoder

RFS

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking to use a couple of R8247 accessory decoders to operate some colour light signals - a mixture of Berko and Traintronics. I understand the outputs of the R8247 can be set to continuous but is the output 12V DC? I can't find the R8247 documentation anywhere on the web.

Also, am I correct in assuming that these boxes are NMRA-compliant and hence will work with my Lenz LH100/LZV100 system?

Thanks

There are papers in the box with the decoders - do they not give the information you require? I use the decoders for my points and use a Powercab as my controller without difficulty, having changed recently from the Elite. I cannot say whether it would be the same with the Lenz but, since operation is successful with the Powercab, I suspect it would also be with the Lenz. I will check my papers tomorrow for the power output and post what I find if you have not found the answer in the mean time.

Harold.

Just dug out a Hornby R8247 awaiting installation and there are detailed instructions in the paperwork for setting the output as continuous for controlling lights but, as you would expect, the instructions relate to programming with the Select and Elite controllers. I imagine it can be done with other controllers but I have not tried it. You have to change the value of the CV relating to the appropriate outlet (ie CV 515, 516, 517 or 518 for outlets 1-4 respectively) to zero. The paperwork does not state the output voltage etc. However, the label on the back of the unit states "input 15v AC; output 15v DC". I hope this helps.

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again - that's what I needed to know. Just need to check now whether the signals are OK for 15V instead of 12V, but they have resistors so I assume that would be fine.

• 2 years later...

Guys, just read this thread. Does anyone know how much current can be drawn through the each port of the R8247 in continuous mode? I understand the output provides 15vDC but I presume there is a limit on the wattage of the device you can attach. I am thinking of operating some Kytes Lights platform lights, and perhaps some semaphore signal operations, and need to know what the limitations are. Am I more likely to require some kind of relay rather than running the lamps directly through the decoder outputs?

Any ideas?

Paul.

Paul,

The information is not in the instructions.  I have had a quick look on Hornby website but couldn't find the information.  However, R8247 is stated to be suitable for driving Hornby's turntable which I would guess draws more current that platform lights.  Signals might draw more than the lights for a short period but probably not as much as a set of points.  I am sure Hornby's technical department would tell you the answer to your questions.

How many lights are you planning to use?  I don't know whether this will help you but I have nearly 150 of Kytes Lights bulbs on my layout, connected to one of his small transformers and they all work without trouble.  when I asked how many bulbs the transformer would cope with, Joe said he thought about 80-100 so perhaps the lights do not draw as much current as I was led to believe.  I hope that is so as I still have some more to instal.

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

This may help:-

Cheers

Ian

R8247 and R8216 Current Limits..

The R8247 Point and Accessory Controller (PAD) and R8216 Point Decoder (PD) can
in total “sink/source” approximately 240mA.  This is “shared”  e.g. this could
be all ports turned continually “on” drawing a total of 240mA, or a single port
turned on drawing approximately 240mA. To control loads which exceed the total
current capability of the R8247/R8215 will require relays. i.e. relays are
connected to the ports of the unit, and in turn these are used to “slave” switch
power to various loads e.g. signals, lighting motors… anything which you wish to
control form the DCC controller.

Edited by traction

Thanks Ian - that's interesting.  Whilst it is not relevant to my requirements, it suggests that the decoder cannot handle many grain-of-wheat/rice bulbs as I was told they draw about 80mA each.  Just three lamps per port then!

Harold.

EDIT - correction - three lamps in total per decoder

Edited by HLT 0109

Thanks Guys,

Ian, this has confirmed my suspicion that the Accessory Decoder, whilst good at sending a short high power burst from the Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU), is not much good for continuous operation; so the relays will be the answer. I guess I need to have a trawl of the Radio Spares (RS) Catalogue and see what is involved in making up a small circuit board of relay units to drive various lighting circuits.

Harold, what is the transformer you use to drive your lights? I think I will need one of these to power the lights through each relay.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul,

The transformer I use is from Kytes Lights.  It gives 12v A/C from 240v mains and costs £14.99.  It is listed under their "electrical parts" category.  It can be used with a bridge rectifier if you want to use it for LEDs and it can be connected to a dimmer switch on the input side.  I've no idea how it relates to DCC operation of the lights - my lights are controlled by flick switches.

Harold.

If you have not yet bought the Hornby decoder you could try the following:

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:ls-dec-br

I use them with my Berko signals, powered from a Lenz transformer TR100 that powers my accessory bus, the decoder powers the LEDs directly (in-built resistors) and can be set for common anode or cathode and DC or AC output.

Mike

If you have not yet bought the Hornby decoder you could try the following:

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:ls-dec-br

I use them with my Berko signals, powered from a Lenz transformer TR100 that powers my accessory bus, the decoder powers the LEDs directly (in-built resistors) and can be set for common anode or cathode and DC or AC output.

Mike

Hi Mike,

My layout is fully wired using R8247 accessory decoders already, operating all the pointwork. I was considering using some of the spare ports to run the lights and perhaps the odd semaphore signal, so this is probably not an option.

I would be interested if anyone has experience of switching DC lighting circuits using latching relays powered from the R8247 outputs...on the face of it, it doesn't look that difficult (famous last words)

Paul.

• 6 years later...

hi guys

im hoping someone can help me out as im using an a R8247 decoder for my points an it works well

but i have been reading in the Forums that you are able to change it from a short high power burst of power to a continuous output feed of power

witch is  exactly what i'm looking for

as i have read the instructions that with it but  i've noticed there is nothing there to tell you how to Chang i to  continuous output feed of power

regarding the Hornby e link controller as im using it with Hornby rail master software

as im hoping sumone is able to help me out with this  please

look foward to hearing from you

Thank you  Gavin

hi all 

i hope i don't sound a little silly but i checked out the the manual an it only covers the Hornby Select  an the Elite  nothing there to tells you how anything   regarding the Hornby e link controller

as im using the e link  it with Hornby rail master software

so i was hopeing you may be able to help me out with this  please mate

look foward to hearing from you

Thank you  Gavin

Connect the acc decoder to the eLink prog outputs, then in RM select programming a decoder. Pull down R8247 and tick the continuous output boxes for the ports in question. Ensure the correct addresses are listed, then write these new values to the decoder.

If you read back the values ofttimes you will get odd values for the address. Just reconnect to the main again and see if the correct points respond.

Note that if it is an older R8216 acc decoder then that is pulse only and cannot be set to continuous.

Edit - always ensure you are using the latest version of RM downloadable from a link in the Hornby RM forum page. Currently v1.72.0 despite what it says on that page. The correct version will download, in fact it should have prompted you to update anyhow.

Edited by RAF96
More info and correction of typos
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Chrissaf, did an excellent tutorial on the Hornby forum for this:-

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/programming-accessory-decoders/?p=1/

Just scroll through the thread to find the star of his post, it's quitw long but very useful.

That should help.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

Connect the acc decoder to the eLink prog outputs, then in RM select programming a decoder. Pull down R8247 and tick the continuous output boxes for the ports in question. Ensure the correct addresses are listed, then write these new values to the decoder.

If you read back the values ofttimes you will get odd values for the address. Just reconnect to the main again and see if the correct points respond.

Note that if it is an older R8216 acc decoder then that is pulse only and cannot be set to continuous.

Edit - always ensure you are using the latest fersion of RM downloadable from a link in the Hornby RM forum page. Currently v1.72.0 despite what it says on that page. The correct vesrion will download, in fact it should have prompted you to update anyhow.

Thank you very mutch as i really appreciate your help 

• 1 year later...