Much Snoring - my old layout

Jules

Last Trains to Much Snoring

by Jules

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:27 pm

These have been seen on the previous forum (and the one before, and probably the one before!) but I thought I would share them anyway, to show that not every layoput featured on here is a brilliant piece of craftsmanship.

It gives me a lot of fun, and has proved useful in re-learning how to do, and not to do certain things. The next one will be better!

st4cw6.jpg

st2eo7.jpg

st1ro1.jpg

12160011xp1.jpg

12160019cp9.jpg

12160020tx8.jpg

12160013jg4.jpg

12160007uq5.jpg

12160006jh1.jpg

ms2nj0.jpg

ms1vm0.jpg

Comment posted by John B on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:35 pm

Jules -

You may not think it is a brilliant piece of craftsmanship, yet to me it looks like a model of a railway, not just a train set, and a well-thought-out one at that. It has atmosphere a-plenty, and a good sense of place.

And if it works, gives you enjoyment, and provides impetus for improvement it has well and truly served it's purpose.

Comment posted by blue_tigers_eyes on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:05 pm

My apologies for being very late on this thread.

It's a very nice looking layout.

I'm just about to start building my first new layout in a while and I noticed that you've used dead frog turnouts. How have they been working out, do you have any problens with loco's stalling on them?

Comment posted by whrbert on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Ah yes! Much Snoring, I do like this layout very much! icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by Ddolfelin on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:30 pm

In pic no 2 it looks like the next stop is Light Reading.

Looks like fun and well-planned.

More please.

Comment posted by Jamie on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:34 pm

blue_tigers_eyes wrote:

My apologies for being very late on this thread.

No apologies, criminally ignored at the time by the scarcity of replies. Must be due an update, how about it Jules?

As I think I might have said a forum or two ago, reminds me of a past layout which I regret having got rid of.

??? posted on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:21 am

This took me a bit by suprise ! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments..

blue_tiger_eyes : generally, the dead frog turnouts have been ok; however I have had a couple that have bowed upwards, raising the frog that causes problems with some locos, particular my kit built N7 which is rather anoying. Not sure if this is a general problem with Peco points, or my bad track laying - I suspect the latter!

dd : it is fun - but not sure about the well planned bit!

Jamie : There is a lot to update - I have mainly been building wagons and the like that I don't really need, rather than attending to the layout! It might have an update or two - some of the scenics need freshening and I might relay some of the track to ease a curve or two and replace the bowed points. Might be easier to start again tho....

??? posted on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

A couple of other images I found.....for those that are interested!

file.php?id=1924

file.php?id=1923

Comment posted by blue_tigers_eyes on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Jules wrote:

blue_tiger_eyes : generally, the dead frog turnouts have been ok; however I have had a couple that have bowed upwards, raising the frog that causes problems with some locos, particular my kit built N7 which is rather anoying. Not sure if this is a general problem with Peco points, or my bad track laying - I suspect the latter!

Thanks for that. I'm still trying to decide between live and dead frogs.

Comment posted by Hammer on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:08 pm

blue_tigers_eyes wrote:

Jules wrote:

Thanks for that. I'm still trying to decide between live and dead frogs.

As am I at present (Really need to get round to putting the cork down soon so I can make more progress). Thanks for the info guys.

??? posted on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Another couple of pics, mainly showing items recently off the work bench :

D16 - cobbled together from Hornby bits

Modified Lima Horsebox

Chivers full brake/pigeon van.

3*Parkside fish vans in bay platform

file.php?id=2074

file.php?id=2075

Comment posted by Brian D on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Jules,

This is really very good. Puts my meagre efforts to shame. I'd be proud to be this layout's owner.

icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, I have an iritating habit of not reading all the thread and just scanning the layout photos. Is that a D16 in one of the pictures? How did you make it?

Regards, Brian.

??? posted on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi Brian

It is indeed a 'D16' in the last two pictures. Hopefully the link below will explain how it came about

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8229

Comment posted by smudgeloco on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Wow, how did I miss this one first time around?

Jules, you must have felt totally ignored! Sorry for not seeing this until now, it is indeed worthy of praise. A very nice, and nicely laid out layout. Everything about it looks right.

I'm so pleased that it got refound.

Comment posted by Brian D on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Jules wrote:

Hi Brian

It is indeed a 'D16' in the last two pictures. Hopefully the link below will explain how it came about

Thanks for that Jules. An excellent piece of "cut and shut". Years ago in the Railway Modeller, I remember an article about a similar coming together of a Triang B12 body and the same manufacturer's L1 4-4-0 chassis. The modern day Hornby tender drives get so much bad press (I don't have any of these loco's - always fancied a B17 but managed to resist the temptation to buy one) but how do they run? The mechanism looks very similar to the modern Hornby dmu motor bogie of which I have two examples, the Metro-Cammel and the Calder Valley set. I find that, although they are smooth runners and accelerate smoothly, they seem to start off and slow down (at low voltages) very suddenly requiring fairly delicate control in order to stop giving all the passengers severe whip-lash injuries!

Regards,

Brian.

Comment posted by SweeneyTodd on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Jules if i can get my layout to look half as good as yours i'll be pleased , i've found out it's not so easy to make a layout but yours look great thanks for posting it , it's given me a few good idea's

Shaun ( complete novice )

??? posted on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Brian - it runs pretty much as you say 0-20 in 0.5 seconds! Once going it is pretty smooth, its just the initial start and stop. Mine is helped by the fact that only one pair of wheels on the loc is picking up, despite them all being wired. I've yey to work out what is wrong icon_cry.gif

Shaun - thanks for the comments. This was my first attempt after about 20 years away from the hobby. It was really a re-learning exercise, hopefully the next one will benift from it!!

Comment posted by Brinkly on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi,

Looks like a lot of hours have gone into this layout! Well done! icon_biggrin.gif

Nick

??? posted on Sun May 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Due to a change of job, abd a change of location (good time to be trying to sell a house!!), my layout Much Snoring is seeing its final trains. So I thought I would post a few final pics as I pack up the stock for an unknown period.

file.php?id=16497

file.php?id=16498

file.php?id=16499

file.php?id=16500

More later if anyone is interested icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by davidpk212 on Sun May 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Beeching claims another victim... will be a much missed layout, I'm sure.

??? posted on Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm

It will be missed, but it is now 8years old so it was begining to need tome work dping anyway. Still, I will miss playing with it!

The final load of pics......

file.php?id=16520

file.php?id=16521

file.php?id=16522

file.php?id=16523

file.php?id=16524

file.php?id=16525

file.php?id=16526

file.php?id=16527

file.php?id=16528

file.php?id=16529

file.php?id=16530

file.php?id=16531

file.php?id=16532

Comment posted by lbsc123 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:44 pm

sorry to revive an old thread but i wanted to ask some questions.

that djh contractors loco looks superb can you tell me weather the name plates are cast onto the saddle tank or if they are sparate leaving the builder to fit themselfves?

cheers

will

??? posted on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:55 pm

They are cast onto the tank : I wish I had removed them beofre assembling it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

The would be easy enough to remove with a file - carefully icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by Ravenser on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:32 am

Best of luck with the replacement . You've made an excellent job of all the kits you've worked with - any limitations are down to the kits themselves (eg the Wills station rather outclasses the Superquick goods shed)

It may be worth considering code 75 live frog next time. If you can build an N7 and D16/3 to that standard, wiring up the points should not be an obstacle

??? posted on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 am

Thnaks Ravenser! icon_biggrin.gif

The goods shed was due to be replaced by a more representative scratch built shed - but I never got round to it!

The track will certainlt be all live frog next time - probably code 75, but judging by the lack of interest in house buyers the new layout might be some time off icon_cry.gif icon_evil.gif

These have been seen on the previous forum (and the one before, and probably the one before!) but I thought I would share them anyway, to show that not every layoput featured on here is a brilliant piece of craftsmanship.

It gives me a lot of fun, and has proved useful in re-learning how to do, and not to do certain things. The next one will be better!

Not bad for RTR IMHO

I wouldn't mind managing something similar...hope you can !

Are you planning to move North or South?

Stockie

Archived