Pre-WW2 Hong Kong and Shanghai trams

Ley Reynolds

• RMweb Premium

You need to get a copy of 'Double Deck Trams of the World' by Brian Patton. The design of Hong Kong trams has changed little over the years except that the upper decks were 'open' despite an all over roof. Unfortunately Shanghai only operated single deckers and are not included but they did operate trolleybuses that were almost identical to those in Singapore as both were operated by the same company. So it is a reasonable assumption the preceding Singapore tramcars would probably been similar if not identical. There is a lot more information on the Singapore tramways available than mainland China but very little remains in any case as most was lost during the war. Incidently prior to 1946 the Chinese drove on the left.

Only an indirect suggestion - the Tramway Museum Society has a library and archive at Crich in Derbyshire. Though my computer connection is intermittent, I've had a quick look at their web pages:

http://www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/22/tramway-museum-library-databases

Their library seems to have a copy of a 1946 publication: "Tramways in Shanghai"

Very likely to be other publications on the details of the Hong Kong system and vehicles.

They have copies of various trade journals of the previous century, which are likely to have some relevant articles listed on the database. If lucky, there might be a drawing or two included.

• RMweb Premium

A society that I belong to may have a copy of a history of the Hong Kong Tramway for a few pounds. If you want me to have a look for you let me know via PM and I can get our sales officer to check. It may have drawings and photos of the trams from that era.

Jamie

The Light Rail Transit Association may have some more material. Their historical journal, Tramway Review, had an article in issue No. 205, Spring 2006, on the Singapore centenary. May be back numbers and other books available. There have been occasional articles on other tramways in that part of the world.

Having looked at the few small internet references to Shanghai tramways [Wikipedia,tramz.com] it seems that there were smaller French and Chinese systems in the city, too. Suggest taking a look at other systems of French origin in that part of the world, as the vehicles were likely to be similar. Again, best sources are probably the industry journals at the time of opening, such as Tramway and Railway World.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for these pointers. Are there any references on Singapore trams around please?

Singapore. A history of its Trams, Trolleybuses and Buses. by F. W. York & A. R. Phillips. Published by DTS. ISBN 1 900515 00 8

Your local library may be able to get a copy.

The Singapore trams resembled the San Francisco cable cars but with the open section at both ends and 'toast rack' type seating (two facing pairs of seats at each end).

• RMweb Premium

A society that I belong to may have a copy of a history of the Hong Kong Tramway for a few pounds. If you want me to have a look for you let me know via PM and I can get our sales officer to check. It may have drawings and photos of the trams from that era.

Jamie

'Tramlines' by Martin Barnett. Publisher SCMP, ISBN 962 10 0032 7

Excellent drawings of Hong Kong trams.

• RMweb Gold

A book I have "Hong Kong Trams - HongKong Tramways - 100 Years" by Mike Davis, DTS Publishing ISBN 1 900515 95 4 has many pictures and a couple of drawings of the original single-deck trams and early double-deck trams. The early single-deck trams were built by the Electric Railway & Tramway Carraige Works, Preston in 1904 and assembled in Hong Kong.

At the back of the book is a fleet summary 1904-2004 in which is mentioned that all the early single-deck car bodies were scrapped and replaced by double-deck, open-top bodies by 1926 so the period you are interested in seems to cover both single-deck and double-deck trams.

Keith

• 2 months later...

This may be of interest. The half tram in the pictre is in a mock 1930's section of an underground shopping mall beneath People's Park in Shanghai. It appeard to me be real -just cut in half, certainly the controller was real but all the markings were in Chinese.

Regards

Steve

post-1075-0-38638100-1296051206_thumb.jpg

Archived