Early Dart Valley Railway Pics

Guest 34008Padstow

I've often thought that Buckfastleigh in its original form would make a great layout - although it might take up a far amount of room (in 00 at least).

Mind you, I need to finish my other layout before thinking about the next.....

Guest 34008Padstow

you have the same prob as me then jules. half finish a layout, then you se something else that catches your eye. i did try modelling ashburton as a preservation site but i had trouble finding a way of building the overall roof. i may give it another go in the future

• RMweb Premium

Interesting photo's. As has been said it's a real shame that Ashburton was lost, but whether a line on a new alignment would have had the same appeal is a mute point, although the advertising potential that could have been gained from running next to the A38 could have been massive.

It you want to get details of the current Buckfastleigh station you should visit soon as there is planning afoot for some quite large changes to the track layout, including the addition of a TT.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know works are still a little way off. There is a transport works order in place but I'm not sure about the planning permission that is also required - This might not have been submitted yet. There is still that little matter of finding the money to complete them.

I've often thought that Buckfastleigh in its original form would make a great layout - although it might take up a far amount of room (in 00 at least).

Plans of:

• Ashburton - Karau, P. (1978). Great Western Branch Line Terminii Volume Two. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 30-53
  • Buckfastleigh - Clark, R.H. (1979). An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations, Layouts and Illustrations, Volume Two. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 36-37
  • Staverton - Clark, R.H. (1981). An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations, Layouts and Illustrations, Volume Three. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 188-189
  • Totnes - Clark, R.H. (1981). An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations, Layouts and Illustrations, Volume Three. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 200-204

C.J.Freezer idea for a complete branch

• Kingdom, A.R. (1977). The Ashburton Branch (and the Totnes Quay Line). Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp.144-145 which was sourced from:
  • Railway Modeller, Plan of the Month for February 1968

Buckfastleigh to scale in 4mm (bridge to bridge) would be about 25ft x 5ft.

If the blue grey Mk1 coach refered to is the one on the dock in photo No 9 I believe you wil find it is one of the Excursion stock either 1285 or 1295, Dia C74, suffering from 1970's film colour instability. Only one of these exists now after vandals set fire to them several years ago.

For those who are not familiar with the original Buckfastleigh the photographer is standing in the current cafeteria area, when I was regularly working up there this area was home to the Royal Navy's strategic coal stock from Devonport Dockyard after the Dart Valey bought it.

Wally

Plans of:

• Ashburton - Karau, P. (1978). Great Western Branch Line Terminii Volume Two. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 30-53
  • Buckfastleigh - Clark, R.H. (1979). An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations, Layouts and Illustrations, Volume Two. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 36-37
  • Staverton - Clark, R.H. (1981). An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations, Layouts and Illustrations, Volume Three. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 188-189
  • Totnes - Clark, R.H. (1981). An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations, Layouts and Illustrations, Volume Three. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 200-204

C.J.Freezer idea for a complete branch

• Kingdom, A.R. (1977). The Ashburton Branch (and the Totnes Quay Line). Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. pp.144-145 which was sourced from:
  • Railway Modeller, Plan of the Month for February 1968

Buckfastleigh to scale in 4mm (bridge to bridge) would be about 25ft x 5ft.

Thanks for the info and sources. At 25ft I think I might have to give it a miss for a few years or so biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

CJF got it into 13ft or so. Still not small.

Do it in N gauge 12.5ft bridge to bridge, add a foot and a half on each end and turn it into a roundy roundy, maybe having Staverton on the return run if you have enough space to have a fiddle yard on the ends.

• 8 years later...

Dragging this thread up from the archives...

When the thread was started, I knew I had these two pictures of Ashburton (shewing 6412 and 4555) but I couldn't find them.  

DVR1.jpg.ba88478ec01713011a750eb9f3b30789.jpg

DVR2.jpg.4cebcea3c1be84c2bd9f0f4b1ed2373d.jpg

I found them while sorting through my Dad's files/boxes/etc (is it really 12 years ago this October...).  I have no idea of the date, or who took the photos, but thought they might be of some interest.

Edited by Jules
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 07/11/2010 at 22:54, R A Watson said:

If the blue grey Mk1 coach refered to is the one on the dock in photo No 9 I believe you wil find it is one of the Excursion stock either 1285 or 1295, Dia C74, suffering from 1970's film colour instability. Only one of these exists now after vandals set fire to them several years ago.

For those who are not familiar with the original Buckfastleigh the photographer is standing in the current cafeteria area, when I was regularly working up there this area was home to the Royal Navy's strategic coal stock from Devonport Dockyard after the Dart Valey bought it.

Wally

I've just come across this stream some years late. The coach is probably in chocolate and cream and subject to colour fading as you suggest, but is unquestionably a Mk 1. The DVR did buy a couple quite early on. I'm glad to report both 1285 and 1295 do still exist, although 1295 is a long-term restoration project. Great photos