Modelling Aylesbury Station (Risborough & District MRC)

As I am waiting to get the roof parts on the station building cut on our laser cutter I thought I would design another building, It is cabin used for S&T behind the engine shed. I think it was a signal box at one point although never located as such at Aylesbury. I think it is a MSLR type 2 so must have been transported there from up north.

Again it has been designed in 3D in Autodeck Fusion 360, once I am happy with it I will export the parts to be cut to the laser cutter for a kit of bits. 

I have learnt quite a bit and could produce this one a kit if people are interested.

David

post-186-0-87204700-1504127293.jpg

post-186-0-68536000-1504127305.jpg

post-186-0-15042900-1504127315.jpg

post-186-0-36571600-1504127329.jpg

post-186-0-20452400-1504127997_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 5

It looks as though there should be a door into the ground floor under the stairs, the second prototype photo especially looks to have a timber floor as a threshold, with a rough concrete lead in.

If that's not the door where is it?

Other than that it has come out very well.

Regards

Edited by Grovenor

• 2 months later...

​The model of Aylesbury in P4 is coming on well, I have been working on the main station building The roof is progressing well with laser cut formers, the roof surfaces have now been added and this is where the 3D design software comes into its own as I know exactly the shape that needs to be laser cut as it would be a long time working it out using trigonometry

We have now laid and wired all the fiddle yard track work including the point motors, Chris checking everything works around the curved crossovers.

post-186-0-05441200-1509894381_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02484400-1509894810_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I have been working up the roof on the station building the edges of the roof sections were sanded to the angles so each part fitted snuggly with its neighbour, I am glad I designed the model in 3D as there are some very complex shapes and it saves hours working it out using trigonometry. once the basic outer shell was completed I printed of paper with lines 1.6mm wide, this was so when I laid the tiles I had a guide to follow as I didn't want to go out of horizontal. once the paper was stuck to the shell of the roof shellac was painted on to seal the edges.

I plan to laser cut the tiles in strips using coloured thin card or paper, I think the next job is the chimneys there is still the canopy over the entrance too, The Cupola of the centre is a 3-D print, which is just sat there at the moment.

post-186-0-18209000-1510496804_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I have been working up the roof on the station building the edges of the roof sections were sanded to the angles so each part fitted snuggly with its neighbour, I am glad I designed the model in 3D as there are some very complex shapes and it saves hours working it out using trigonometry. once the basic outer shell was completed I printed of paper with lines 1.6mm wide, this was so when I laid the tiles I had a guide to follow as I didn't want to go out of horizontal. once the paper was stuck to the shell of the roof shellac was painted on to seal the edges.

I plan to laser cut the tiles in strips using coloured thin card or paper, I think the next job is the chimneys there is still the canopy over the entrance too, The Cupola of the centre is a 3-D print, which is just sat there at the moment.

Looking very realistic.

A question that I need advice on, I am not one for lighting in models thinking in most cases it looks a bit naff with too light too bright. For the Aylesbury station building I may put some dim lights in the ticket office and booking hall as these would have had some kind of lighting on most of the time. The roof once I start to add tiles will not be removable so was think of either adding some kind of bulbs with wiring down to base where power can be plugged in or fire optics and a light box hidden in one of the rooms. As wiring lighting is something I know very little about can someone point me in the right direction and were to get the bits I need. 

I may put some dim lights in the ticket office and booking hall as these would have had some kind of lighting on most of the time.

I agree with you that lighting in or on models is often excessively bright.  I would look at using LEDs inside your buildings.  They are low power, and hence low heat (so are unlikely to ignite wood or card).  White LEDs are available in various colour temperatures.  If that statement is meaningless goobledegook, visit a lighting showroom and ask about LED white light colours.  However, a yellow LED may do just what you want to mimic a gas light or an old incandescent light.

Edited by Podhunter

• RMweb Gold
Weird thing is that they are the right way up when I view on an ipad but upside down on a PC or laptop!

[/quote ]

I believe that, that is a regular thing with the ipad.

It was not shown in the biopic of Steve Jobs but I believe the founders of Apple were a bit fond of ganja.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with you that lighting in or on models is often excessively bright. I would look at using LEDs inside your buildings. They are low power, and hence low heat (so are unlikely to ignite wood or card). White LEDs are available in various colour temperatures. If that statement is meaningless goobledegook, visit a lighting showroom and ask about LED white light colours. A yellow LED may do just what you want to mimic a gas light or an old incandescent light.

Increase the resistor size to reduce the brightness. From memory tungsten light bulbs always seemed to have a yellowish glow to them when looking from outside.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more work on the station building, the roof is now being tiled using laser cut strips in thin brown card, the bonnet hips again are laser cut and bent then attached a rather mind blowing job so far one hip took an hour.

The chimneys are laser cut in Rowmark with mitred edges, strangely each chimney is half a brick wider being 3, 30.5 and 4 bricks wide.

Other the last couple of weeks the cupula on the real station has been removed, I hear that it may be replaced with a GRP replica!

post-186-0-95844600-1512404014_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71677300-1512404732_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

We had a working day on Aylesbury yesterday while most of the team were working on the fiddle yard and ensuring everything works and runs though all the point work, I continued on the station building which is progressing well, having now tiled most of one side of the roof.

I managed to pick of a copy of the attached photo which I think is really nice and fits in with the period of the model. What I like is the road vehicles. Oxford diecast do the royal mail van the Morris traveller and van farthest away from the camera. what I would like to know is what the van nearest the camera is as it looks quite old, and the car.

David

post-186-0-72568600-1514731834_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

We had a working day on Aylesbury yesterday while most of the team were working on the fiddle yard and ensuring everything works and runs though all the point work, I continued on the station building which is progressing well, having now tiled most of one side of the roof.

I managed to pick of a copy of the attached photo which I think is really nice and fits in with the period of the model. What I like is the road vehicles. Oxford diecast do the royal mail van the Morris traveller and van farthest away from the camera. what I would like to know is what the van nearest the camera is as it looks quite old, and the car.

David

Hi David

The van nearest the camera looks very much like a GPO van and I believe it is a Morris - circa 1940s or early 50s.  I think that Langley do a kit of one or something very similar.  Keep up the good work.

Gerry

Hi David

The van nearest the camera looks very much like a GPO van and I believe it is a Morris - circa 1940s or early 50s.  I think that Langley do a kit of one or something very similar.  Keep up the good work.

Gerry

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/morris-j-type-van-royal-mail-morris-76mj004

I have just order the above seems to match the photo, I think I need to cut make some laser cut glazing .

David

Is the van closest on the right one of these?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-morris-commercial-lc3-post-office-van-165641150.html

Morris c11

https://goo.gl/images/tkyVZS

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/AdSDV1oXDFZGpWaqQI7JbNzzBkekOUw1CQ23pElWWksud0DaiVzmvHM/

Or a slightly earlier version

https://prestonservices.co.uk/item/morris-1947-commercial-van/

Edited by Shadow

Hi David

Gerry

Actually, think that Gerry got it Yesterday!

From Langley models

post-3744-0-83431800-1514808483.jpg

http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/shop/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elangleymodels%2eco%2euk%2fshop%2fss000001%2epl%3fpage%3dsearch%26PR%3d-1%26TB%3dA%26SS%3dMorris%26ACTION%3dquick%20search&WD=morris&PN=Online_Catalogue_OO_Vehicle_kits_G1___G84_23%2ehtml%23aG40#aG40

• 3 weeks later...

Progress is being made on the layout, the fiddle yard is complete and working, as we are exhibiting the layout at our Risex show in February we have temporary laid flex track through the scenic areas so we can run trains all the way round. We will have some of the buildings in place so hopefully it wont be just bare baseboards. 

post-186-0-95866100-1516537443_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-66447100-1516537789_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...