A new railway bookshop opens in Bath!

Captain Kernow

Having fled the country I still appreciate the excellent mail order service, even if I miss the browsing and inevitable dent on my bank account.

Previously I did wonder if a more curated second hand shelf was the way to go since some titles appeared to hang around for an extended period.

I respect the move in hours as we all want to spend more quality time with friends and family.

Daft idea time:  there are many retired people who do days for charities for nowt so how about a few trustworthy folks to open/run the shop on say a Saturday?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Simon,

One thing not asked  about your revised timetable is whether there will still be any special excursions from Bath in the shape of attendance at shows.  Presumably, and hopefully, that will continue?

Hi  Mike

Good point, and yes they will continue, thank you for asking.

The next sortie is Telford at the beginning of September, followed by Scalefourum and then Warley, all this year. The trick will have been to have produced some new books to sell before then!!

I will also hopefully be attending the goldmembers day at Didcot that Andy is sorting out.

And I also hope to open the shop for themed days as briefly mentioned on the new signalling book thread, which I hope you may be able to get involved in.

Best Wishes

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon -

I now feel slightly guilty about relieving you of your secondhand stock several years back. 

The idea of suitably trained volunteers is not to be sniffed at, so long as they meet some simple level of competence (opposable thumbs is my basic requirement). 

I'm sure if were to find myself at a loose end in your vicinity I could oblige in holding the fort, always assuming that that might be reciprocated when you were next on manoeuvres in West Dorset.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new shop is dead, long live the new shop!

Well of course you can't visit it, but when you can I like to think you'll like it.

Mail order continues, plus planning for the future of course, there is now much better potential for launches and mini events as discussed above...

An explanation of this insanity is here

Simon

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon

Just had a read of the above and saw your reference to Barry Norman’s ’Designing a Layout” book, where you said ”This 1997 book has an interesting section on small stations that featured industrial sidings, with a splendid unidentified photograph (page 10) of a small dairy siding that I have never managed to identify”.

I can put you out of your misery and tell you dairy in the picture was the Express Dairy at the London end of Frome Station, in Somerset.  The site occupied by the dairy is a branch of Jewsons these days.

Good luck with the new shop - I look forward to paying a visit once the lockdown is over.

Regards

Dan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 11:29, Not Jeremy said:

Dan!

Thank you so much, I have asked loads of people about that picture and drawn a blank every time.

Even PK himself couldn't say where it was - you are a star!

Simon

Just pulled that book off my shelf for a quick flick through. I'd forgotten about the lovely design for Hallatrow in there, very tempting in 2mm as its the other end of my fictitious North Somerset Light. Mmmmm.....

Very much looking forward to being able to visit the new premises.

Jerry

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if I should post this here, or in a 'review' section, or both. Either way, I want as many RMWeb members to see this post as possible.

For many years, I have bought my railway books from Simon and always look forward to my item(s) arriving. Today was no different! 

The postman (thank you Royal Mail!) delivered a parcel, which I knew instantly who the sender was! Any package I received from the Titfield Thunderbolt shop arrives in a manner that no harm may come to the treasured contents. The books are always wrapped in either a paper bag or tissue paper, inside the cardboard sleeve. 

Inside there is always a thankyou note, and I have quite a collection of postcards depicting various railway scenes across the country, most of the South West. This card isn't a pre-printed message, no, no, this is handwritten - a lovely touch. I always look forward to the postcards!

Since the start of lockdown, I have ordered a couple of books and MRJs from Simon. My previous order arrived with a copy of the MRJ 1990 Exhibition Guide and a note apologising for sending, potentially, unsolicited mail! It certainly wasn't! 

IMG_4516.jpg.31db8832f6d3e5b4e17d50a27e95828b.jpg

The first note arrived earlier in the month, towards the start of the lockdown. The second arrived with today's order.

IMG_4515.jpg.07b5b03a03edf418cf562ec94e2f6264.jpg

Earlier today, my second order arrived, a copy of this month's MRJ and a copy of Don Rowland's latest book - one I thoroughly recommend for any wagon enthusiast - but also a free copy of The Somersetshire Coal Canal. Accompanying these great reads, another note, again apologising for the 'potentially unwanted paper'. I wouldn't have ever thought of buying this title, but it is such a lovely record of a long-gone world, and I am incredibly grateful for such a kind gesture during what is such a grim time for so many people - families and business proprietors alike.  

So, next time you are thinking of buying that new book, don't go to Amazon, visit Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop website. Buy it from a proper shop, run by a proper owner, who publishes railway books, supports the hobby and, who I presume, pays his fair share of tax to the UK exchequer! 

Once again, thank you Simon @Not Jeremyfor your fantastic service! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree, Brinkers. 

Hussar!!

My MRJ 278 arrived today accompanied by said show guide and covering 'apology' for the sending of an unsolicited item.  

A splendid personal touch which many businesses have lost sight of. 

Certainly raised a smile and quite frankly I was touched by it. 

I echo the sentiments expressed by Brinkers. Simon deserves our support in these odd times. 

Now looking forward to a quiet moment with a glass of port to enjoy my magazine. 

Rob. 

images-1.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Whilst it is a beautiful  book with many delightful views it should of course be pointed out that the Somerset Coal Canal book contains  'fake news', perpetuating the myth that the Great Western built the line along the Cam Valley when everybody knows it was in fact the North Somerset Light Railway from its terminus at Tucking Mill to a junction with the GWR at Hallatrow.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Gosh, thank you both very much...

And to all the senders of kind emails that have come in too.

I should just say that I couldn't do half of what I do without the help of my Friend George Mumford, who is currently doing nearly all of the packaging, which has been quite "significant" of late.

Thank you George!

Here seen earlier this week - the image is blurred because he is moving so fast!!

And today I am having a racking morning, lots of nuts and bolts - tally ho!

On the enclosures note, we are now out of the MRJ exhibition guides, but I/we have a cunning plan for inflicting something completely different on future customers - you have been warned!

Best wishes to all.

Simon

superGeorge.JPG

racking.JPG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Along with everyone else I'd like to express my great thanks to Simon (and George) for their excellent service and that amazing book shop. My parcel arrived yesterday with a couple of MRJs, a Weathering Magazine and the lovely, generous, free copy of the MRJ show guide. I even managed to get to that London show...amazing to think it was 30 years ago!

I only got to visit the old shop once (having dragged my sister there after a walk along the canal) but we had a great chin wag with Simon and I came away with a nicely weighty bag of goodies to drag back to South Wales on the train!

Can't wait to visit the new shop...although it might be a longer walk down that canal to get there!

All the very best with the new premises, Simon and George,

Hywel

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Here seen earlier this week - the image is blurred because he is moving so fast!!

Is that Gullivers copy of "Twilight of the Gods Goods"?

P

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2020 at 11:07, Dan Randall said:

I can put you out of your misery and tell you dairy in the picture was the Express Dairy at the London end of Frome Station, in Somerset.  The site occupied by the dairy is a branch of Jewsons these days.

There are some nice shots of the dairy at Frome on the Britain From Above website. The image below is part of a sequence taken in 1946. There are shots from virtually all directions.spacer.png

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW002015

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW005114

gallery_82363_15677_171749.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Karhedron said:

There are some nice shots of the dairy at Frome on the Britain From Above website. The image below is part of a sequence taken in 1946. There are shots from virtually all directions.spacer.png

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW002015

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW005114

gallery_82363_15677_171749.jpg

Fascinating.

What was that massive building behind the station, anyone know? It's certainly not there now!

11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

What was that massive building behind the station, anyone know?

Looks like a maltings.

Edit:  Old maps is your friend.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/378460/147647/12/100954

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/377500/147500/12/100730

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Confirmation (not religious)
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2020 at 10:29, Not Jeremy said:

The new shop is dead, long live the new shop!

Well of course you can't visit it, but when you can I like to think you'll like it.

Mail order continues, plus planning for the future of course, there is now much better potential for launches and mini events as discussed above...

An explanation of this insanity is here

Simon

HA! you tried hiding it from me but I found it!

Dear Sir

I would like to express my gratitude to you once more for sending me some books before I had even ordered them!

Cheers Simon, wasn't expecting next day delivery right now, not even from BA1 to BA2!  

(This postage thing is, of course, new to me but rest assured now that I know it's cheaper than an "Alldayer" on the number 3, by a substantial 20p! I needn't get up from my chair, excepting for the deliveries).

Timbo

• Informative/Useful 1