BR 1608 0-6-0PT

• RMweb Premium

As far as I am aware BR 1608 0-6-0PT was the only one of the 16xx Class to be allocated to 83A Newton Abbott (08/50 to 02/60) can anyone please advise on what duties the locomotive would have been allocated to and also did it ever appear on any Moretonhampstead duties?

• RMweb Gold

Several of the class went to Newton for works attention over the years including 1630, 1631, 1632, 1642, 1650, and 1664 - presumably they would have done at least some running-in in the area before going back to their home shed(?).

I presume Newton had one for a particular job, possibly the works pilot(?) but there is photographic evidence of it working along the sea wall on freight and I can't think of anything that would have prevented it being used up to Moretonhampstead.

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at this Irwell Press book on the 16XX panniers - http://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/GREAT_WESTERN_RAILWAY.html

Should tell you all you want to know about the 16XX class - it's a super publication!

Otherwise, I agree with Mr Stationmaster, when shedded at Newton Abbot, any diagram that was within the loco's suitability would be fair game - that may have included (for example) the Ashburton goods.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Several of the class went to Newton for works attention over the years including 1630, 1631, 1632, 1642, 1650, and 1664 - presumably they would have done at least some running-in in the area before going back to their home shed(?).

I presume Newton had one for a particular job, possibly the works pilot(?) but there is photographic evidence of it working along the sea wall on freight and I can't think of anything that would have prevented it being used up to Moretonhampstead.

It did cross my mind that in choosing Moretonhamstead for a layout that I could run various locos that were on 'running in' turns from Newton Abbott Works on the branch.

• RMweb Gold

Could it have been used on the Totnes Quay branch? [Due to low axle load?]

As far as I can trace - albeit from photographs - the Totnes Quay branch was at least a 'Yellow' route although some sidings might have had tight curvature? Regrettably I have no original source material for route restrictions on that line.

• RMweb Premium

The Plymouth railways website (see here) suggests that in March 1953, 1608 was being used on the Sutton harbour branch. I don't know where they have got this information from or how reliable it is.

• RMweb Premium

The Plymouth railways website (see here) suggests that in March 1953, 1608 was being used on the Sutton harbour branch. I don't know where they have got this information from or how reliable it is.

Sounds plausable although why a Newton Abbott Engine would work a Plymouth Diagram I don't know.

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at this Irwell Press book on the 16XX panniers - http://www.irwellpre...RN_RAILWAY.html

Should tell you all you want to know about the 16XX class - it's a super publication!

Otherwise, I agree with Mr Stationmaster, when shedded at Newton Abbot, any diagram that was within the loco's suitability would be fair game - that may have included (for example) the Ashburton goods.

Thanks Captain.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds plausable although why a Newton Abbott Engine would work a Plymouth Diagram I don't know.

There was a couple of months between the withdrawal of the normal loco on this route and it's replacement arriving, whether the old loco had been having problems before and 1608 was drafted in to cover?

As a additional not I have found information saying that 1608 was shedded at Laira in September and October 1954

Hi David,

1608 was allocated to Newton Abbot mainly for the duty of Works Pilot as some posters have eluded to. The staff at the works affectionately called her 'Charlie'. It replaced 1362 which returned to Laira.

It was obviously used on other turns during its time at 83A, such as the Ashburton Goods and the Teignmouth Pick Up Goods, pictures have been published of it on both duties. I have had it confirmed by David Rouse (ex Newton Fireman) amongst others that it did venture up to Moretonhampstead and to Christow on the Teign Valley but not as a regular diagram due to its power rating and the fact it was needed at the works!

If you are modelling her and need some images let me know as I have quite a few in my collection.

Regards,

Andy.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

1608 was allocated to Newton Abbot mainly for the duty of Works Pilot as some posters have eluded to. The staff at the works affectionately called her 'Charlie'. It replaced 1362 which returned to Laira.

It was obviously used on other turns during its time at 83A, such as the Ashburton Goods and the Teignmouth Pick Up Goods, pictures have been published of it on both duties. I have had it confirmed by David Rouse (ex Newton Fireman) amongst others that it did venture up to Moretonhampstead and to Christow on the Teign Valley but not as a regular diagram due to its power rating and the fact it was needed at the works!

If you are modelling her and need some images let me know as I have quite a few in my collection.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy,

What can I say, many thanks for the very useful information.

It is nice to know that the engine did indeed venture onto the Moretonhampstead Line and indeed the Ashburton Line. I will drop you a pm re: the images.

David,

No problems at all, I have quite a soft spot for 1608,as did many of the crews at 83A during its time there. It could often be seen charging up and down the lower yard with dead ex-works engines bedding in their springs and running gear.

Off the top of my head I'm sure there is a colour image of it on the Ashburton Goods leaving Dainton Tunnel in Peter Gray's 'Steam in Devon' (Ian Allan) and a B+W one of it on the Teignmouth Goods in the same authors 'Rail Trails South West'.

I will PM you with other details and how I can get some other tasty images I have of it at Newton to you.

Regards,

Andy.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi David - have you decided what route you are going to take to build a model of 1608 (I am assuming this is part of your plan?)...

Sorry Captain I missed this one.

I have NuCast Kit as the basis although the chassis will probably need to be scratch built.

Was hoping Bachmann or Hornby would do something, a 16xx, 64xx/74xx, no chance :blink:

• RMweb Premium

Apparently 1608 was re-allocated to 85B (Gloucester Horton Road) prior to withdrawal. She was withdrawn on 30th September 63 and disposed of at Swindon Works in November of the same year. A total of 8 16xx Panniers were withdrawn at 85B. The original shed allocation was 10 of the class. She was, as I think has already been said, the only 16xx allocated to Newton Abbot. They had the advantage of being the smallest and lightest Panniers built even to the extent of being built to a reduced loading gauge.

One of its classmates, 1669, was the last GWR designed engine to be built at Swindon. 1646 and 1649 found their way to work the Dornock branch in Scotland in the mid 1950's.

First of the class withdrawn was 1603 in June 1959 when just 9 years old, it was cut up at Cohens apparently having spent it's working life in Wales. the last was 1628 which was disposed of by Cashmores in January 1967 after withdrawal in September 1966.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently 1608 was re-allocated to 85B (Gloucester Horton Road) prior to withdrawal. She was withdrawn on 30th September 63 and disposed of at Swindon Works in November of the same year. A total of 8 16xx Panniers were withdrawn at 85B. The original shed allocation was 10 of the class. She was, as I think has already been said, the only 16xx allocated to Newton Abbot. They had the advantage of being the smallest and lightest Panniers built even to the extent of being built to a reduced loading gauge.

One of its classmates, 1669, was the last GWR designed engine to be built at Swindon. 1646 and 1649 found their way to work the Dornock branch in Scotland in the mid 1950's.

First of the class withdrawn was 1603 in June 1959 when just 9 years old, it was cut up at Cohens apparently having spent it's working life in Wales. the last was 1628 which was disposed of by Cashmores in January 1967 after withdrawal in September 1966.

Definitely not the lightest GW pannier tanks - some members of the 2021 Class, on which the 16XX were based, were a tad over 3.5 tons lighter, however the 16Xx were the lightest of the 'modern' pannier designs. As far as I can trace 1607 was the last survivor having passed into NCB service on withdrawal it was not cut up until 1969.

1607, which seems to have been a Llanelly (87F) loco for its entire BR life, ended up working for the NCB at Cynheidre- this was on the same BR branch as it spent its BR career. It, with two of its classmates, would have hammered past my primary-school class room several times a day, to the annoyance of Miss Jenkins. I wonder if Llanelly had the largest concentration of 16xx, as both the L&MMR and BP&GV branches relied on them from their introduction until the mid-1960s.

• RMweb Premium

OK - I stand corrected - lightest 'modern' pannier and I was not counting the pair that made it into NCB service in terms of last withdrawal since I was thinking of BR withdrawals when writing - I must ensure clarity of posting in future rolleyes.gif

1607 and 1600 were the NCB locos, my research agrees with The Stationmaster that 1607 was the last one scrapped - there is, of course, one (1638) that has been preserved on the KESR.

• RMweb Premium

My list of Moretonhampstead Branch locos doesn't include any 16xxs. The list I refer to is from 'The Newton Abbot to Moretonhampstead Railway' - Anthony R.Kingdom and Mike Lang and I believe it to be definitive. I have a particular interest in the line and have never seen a photo of a 16xx!

See post above from Andy M re: 1608 on Moretonhampstead line.

• RMweb Gold

the chassis will probably need to be scratch built.

Alan Gibson do milled side frames for the 54XX/64XX/74XX pannier, and the wheelbase between the driving wheels is the same as for the 16XX. You will need to remove a bit of frame material from one end, and extend the frames slightly at the other end, and ensure that the body sits at the right height, but it could save cutting a completely fresh set of frames from sheet brass?

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 22:46, Andy M said:

David,

No problems at all, I have quite a soft spot for 1608,as did many of the crews at 83A during its time there. 

Off the top of my head I'm sure there is a colour image of it on the Ashburton Goods leaving Dainton Tunnel in Peter Gray's 'Steam in Devon' (Ian Allan) and a B+W one of it on the Teignmouth Goods in the same authors 'Rail Trails South West'.

I will PM you with other details and how I can get some other tasty images I have of it at Newton to you.

Regards,

Andy.

With the Model Rail/Rapido model order book opening shortly I'd be interested in those tasty images too.

57 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

With the Model Rail/Rapido model order book opening shortly I'd be interested in those tasty images too.

Blimey Rob,

You’ve dug this thread out from the long grass!

I’ll have a search for 1608 images for you.  It went brand new to Newton in Dec 1949 and stayed till Feb 1960, when it moved up the line to Exeter for a short time.

Are you stretching your period a bit?

Regards,

Andy.

• Informative/Useful 1