BR 1608 0-6-0PT

For those who are interested in 4mm /00 16xx locos South Eastern Finecast along with Branchlines of Westbury have re released the NuCast body kit (New moulds) and have produced a new etched chassis kit to fit the body.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

They tended to be allocated as 2021 replacements, and the 2021s tended to survive where there was a job for a lightweight loco, so an allocation to Newton Abbot suggests such a job, and the allocation of only one engine suggests an 'as required' rather than a daily booked working.  A wharf branch sounds very much like this job.  But, and especially if as often happened on lightly laid branches, traffic was 'as required', the loco would be available for any work within it's capacity on days when it was not needed on the weight restricted branch and could turn up elsewhere.

A Barry 16xx was used after withdrawal in 1965 by the contractors recovering track in Cadoxton yard, and incurred wrath by racing the dmus between Cadoxton and Barry Dock.  I think the problem was that it always won, and the dmu drivers complained that the passengers were mocking them.

On 27 May 2019 at 21:36, gwrrob said:

Thanks Andy, yes the thread came up searching for photos of 1608 and I also model the '57 period too.

Rob,

If it helps with your prototype selection, in addition to 1608 at 83A, 1650 was allocated to Plymouth Laira from new in Dec 54 until Mar 60. It's main duty was on the Sutton Harbour Branch, but the only image I have of it is from April 1957, sat on the Laira coal road.

Additionally, throughout the 1950's the following 16xx's received attention in the Newton Factory: 1623, 1624, 1626, 1627, 1630, 1631, 1632, 1642, 1650, 1664. 

Regards,

Andy.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is  picture of 1608 at Totnes on the Model Rail Offers web site, see the Big Picture. Model Rail (Rapido) are making 22 versions of the 16xx but 1608 is not one as far as I can see. The picture will probably be in this months copy of Model rail with the full announcement.

• Thanks 1