Mike's 2010 Challenge Entry: Capstan Shunting Summary

Link to original layout topic: Link

The original inspiration behind this layout came from two fellow club members shunting with a chain on the club's O gauge layout Wensleydale Cement & Lime Co.

This got me thinking about another O gauge layout I saw at York show a good few years back where a series of wagon turntables and capstans were used to move wagons about.

I then wondered whether the same could be done in 4mm scale and this layout is the (somewhat successful in operational terms) result of my 'experiment'.

A great deal of playing research was done to ensure that the capstans were in the right places and fortunately not many needed too much adjustment.

The layout depicts a small section of a busy goods depot somewhere between LMS and LNER territories and is set in the late 1930s.

The overall size including the legs and supporting board is 48" by 18", thus 864 square inches.

The scenic section including 'fiddle yard' is half of this size at 48" by 9".

The baseboard is constructed from 6mm ply with 1"x1" framing, now supported by a seperate board constructed from 2"x1" framing with a 6mm flat board covering half of the surface and fitted with 2" by 1" legs.

This results in a 9" wide flat shelf behind the layout for important things like cups of tea and spare rolling stock, the controller is also fitted here.

The layout features 5 sidings, 10 capstans, 2 points and 2 fully functional wagon turntables.

Motive power is provided by small 0-4-0 locos, at present a Hornby LMS pug, a scratchbuilt Atkinson Walker vertical boiler geared loco (not unlike a sentinel) and a kitbashed knightwing diesel on an Underground Ernie Ernie 1 chassis, I aim to add a Model Rail LNER sentinel when available.

All of the wagons are Parkside or Cambrian kits fitted with Smiths 3 link couplings.

Langley fine S link chain (the smallest they sell) is used to move the wagons around in the absence of a suitable scaled down rope.

All of the track is constructed from code 75 bullhead rail on copperclad sleepers, full check rails are fitted to all of the track which was then inlaid with Metcalfe cobblestones, with strategically placed removable sections in the event of a loose point blade or wire.

The wagon turntables are constructed from copperclad board, cut into a circle with the rails soldered in place and then plasticard scribed to replicate planks glued in place.

All of the buildings are scratchbuilt from Slaters embossed brick plasticard with wills windows.

A few photos:

post-6837-080434100 1289392805_thumb.jpg

post-6837-099186300 1289392864_thumb.jpg

post-6837-090706800 1289392880_thumb.jpg

post-6837-008487800 1289392889_thumb.jpg

post-6837-072323100 1289392895_thumb.jpg

And 2 short videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSYXGbncOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHwywenAYw

Mike

Archived