New Paul Lunn Book - MAKING TRACKS

PMP

• RMweb Premium

Just reaching the shops. Published by Atlantic at £18.50 112 pages softback.

Nicely written and illustrated in Paul Lunns regular style, the book looks at design theory as well as providing many track plans, the track plans being drawn by Atlantics Trevor Ridley in colour. On my quick look, the designs look practical and that they will fit the space advertised, unlike some other plan books that are available. Theres little modelling content as such, in you won't find a section on how to build baseboards, and few model photos. There are a good number of prototype images complementary to the text and layouts being described. It covers past era's and also looking to the future with light railways, tramways and how rail may develop and how to model it. I found the future section very interesting and thought provoking, to the extent I was thinking 'I wonder' ... I felt the cover didn't light any fires for me personally, but its well worth a look through, and is probably good value for money.

NB PL's a good mate of mine, so with that in mind I've done the above mini review as objectively as possible.

• RMweb Gold

Well Amazon doesn't know about it, the Atlantic website (which had disappeared the last time I checked) didn't know about it either. It would be helpful to know when it is being published because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been yet. Suspect the magazine copies are advance ones, perhaps.

The advert by Atlantic in the December Railway Modeller says publishing date is November 2010 - no date though.

I popped in to Booklaw and enquired about this book. They were not aware of it.

Have patience - it will turn up in due course.....

ColinW

Hi PMP

Have sent a message to everyone who's commented on your site about 'Making Tracks' just to let folks know about progress re availability. At the moment there's not much to say but as soon as I have news I'll pass it on.

All the best Paul (Lunn)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Raith Station

Books are in the country, having been printed in China. Snow and freezing conditions causing a few problems for release, will let you know as soon as I have something definitive. In the meantime thanks for your interest, please be patient. Regards Paul.

As promised, here's an update as accurate as can be given all the circumstances. 'Making Tracks' is now available and can be ordered direct from Atlantic Publishers as per their advertisment in the various railway modelling magazines and website. I had hoped to attend the Wigan Show with one of my design surgeries and to promote the book, but the extreme weather conditions in my part of Derbyshire and the lack of space has meant we've deferred the event, most likely to Doncaster...if there's enough space! If you have any difficulties please contact me through rmweb and I'll do my best to help. Regards Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived