A Tale of Four TRAXXes

NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

A Tale of Four TRAXXes

by 1216 025

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Afternoon,

as promised I would like to showcase my two newest acquisitions icon_wink.gif . A while ago I found a retailer who offers a broad range of ACME H0 scale engines, and this at what I found were reasonable prices - all well below 200 ?‚¬, whereas the RRP for most ACME engines seems to be quite a bit over 200. Anyway, as I long since fell for their excellent renderings of Bombardier TRAXX engines I decided to treat myself to two of them - one being an E483 and the other a Re 484.

It would, however, far exceed the scope of this thread to try and outline the entire history of Bombardier's TRAXX family, so I'll limit myself to some specific information about those engines which I am going to present here. Actually I would have to begin with the 484 as this type precedes the 483, in spite of its higher class number.

In 2004 SBB Cargo received a first batch of 18 class Re 484 engines, followed by an additional three in 2007. These engines, designated by Bombardier as TRAXX F140 MS, were a development from the original TRAXX platform and were the first to have a redesigned body providing enhanced crash safety. There also were several additional modifications, among the most important being IGBT-based inverters instead of the GTO-based units. Also, unlike all previous TRAXX engines the Re 484 was fitted for four voltage systems. Whereas the original TRAXX F140 AC line could only handle 15 and 25 kV AC, the MS line could also operate under 1.5 and 3 kV DC. For this reason the 484 is equipped with a bimodal kind of electric brake which works in regenerative mode under AC power and in rheostatic mode under DC power, meaning that the engine is fitted with a vertically mounted, ventilated array of rheostats which takes cool air from underneath the engine and ejects it from the roof.

SBB Cargo and MRCE were the only customers for the Re 484, with MRCE acquiring five engines. Two of these had been hired to Swiss freight operator Crossrail who but terminated their leasing contract in the meantime. The former Crossrail 484s are now operated by Veolia Cargo. SBB Cargo hired the remaining three MRCE 484s for their Italian subsidiary and had them repainted into their corporate livery. As an additional note, Re 484s were also used for hauling several Eurocity trains between Switzerland and Italy until about 2008. These engines were partially repainted in the Cisalpino livery.

The E483, on the other hand, is a third generation TRAXX engine, the 484 being a second generation type. While externally very similar to the second generation, the third generation TRAXX does have several external differences. As Bombardier wanted to offer a diesel-electric variant as well but use the same basic body for both electric and diesel-electric units, the original second generation body had to be modified accordingly. While the body sides are smooth on the second generation, also known as the TRAXX 2 line, it consists of three distinct panels on the third generation which is also known as the TRAXX 2E line. One of these panels is removed on the diesel-electrics and replaced by an air intake. Also, a recess for a fuel tank filler cap was integrated into the frame. Obviously, this cap is present only on the diesel-electrics, but the recess is also present on the "full" electrics. There is, however, an exception in the shape of the Spanish class 253 engines, which, though technically also a TRAXX 2E type, have smooth body sides, and the recess for the filler cap has been deleted, both owing to demands by RENFE. The headlights are also different on the class 253, and more powerful air-conditioning units have been fitted to the cab roofs. Naturally, the 253 is also different in being built for the Iberian 1,668 mm broad gauge.

There also are several internal differences between the TRAXX 2 and 2E engines. One of the major changes is that the inverters were relocated from both sides of the engine room to a central mounting position, which is where the prime mover/inverter assembly is located on the diesel-electrics. Naturally, there are also differences to the roof between electric and diesel-electric units.

At this time Bombardier have a total of 37 E483 engines, which belong to the TRAXX F140 DC subfamily, on their order books. Twenty of these were ordered by rolling stock leasing company Angel Trains who subsequently hired them to Italian freight operators Nordcargo, DB Schenker Rail Italia and Rail Traction Company. The E483 is only fitted for DC operation, but could have AC equipment added in the future if required.

But now on to the models icon_wink.gif .

dsc01288jsnr.jpg

This here is Re 484 021, the last Re 484 to be bought by SBB Cargo proper. It has been given the name of "Gottardo" as a tribute to the 125th anniversary of the Gotthard Railway in 2007. The model has the item number 60054. The distinctive SBB Cargo billboard livery fits these engines rather well, I would think icon_thumbsup2.gif .

dsc01289hoeq.jpg

Head-on view of Re 484 021. Note that the engine number is written out simply as "E 484.021" on the fronts owing to a demand by Italian network operator RFI, as well as the name below the black anti-glare panel. The detailing on ACME's TRAXX engines is outstanding, but some of the add-on parts can be very fiddly to fit icon_mutter.gif . For example, the full snow ploughs, which can only be used if you do not want model couplers to be fitted, requires the NEM extension coupler pocket to be removed by loosening two small screws per side which but were so tight on my models that I had to be careful in order not to demolish the screw heads by applying too much force. After the coupler pocket has been removed you can snap the full plough in place and secure it with said screws.

dsc01290xr07.jpg

Side view of the number 1 end of Re 484 021. Painting and lettering are crisp and clean - again, full marks for ACME icon_thumbsup2.gif . Looking closely you can see the Integra-Signum magnet on the left side of the bogie between the wheels. These parts must be attached with a very small amount of CA glue as there are no retaining pins and holes. However, they are notoriously difficult to fit straight, and I wonder if ACME could not have found a different and easier solution here icon_neutral.gif .

dsc01291hshh.jpg

And the number 2 end. What I definitely like about ACME's TRAXX models is how they designed the bogie gearboxes such that they do not block the view between the wheelsets, much as on the real thing.

dsc01292qrlc.jpg

And this is a roofside view of the 484. The outer two pantographs, which are Stemmann DSA 200 units, are for Switzerland, and the inner two, which are Schunk WBL 85/3 units, for Italy. The high voltage busbar really is a "bar" as it must have a sufficiently large cross section to withstand the high electric currents under DC power.

dsc01283xq1o.jpg

This is E483 004, one of four such engines currently operated by Rail Traction Company (RTC). RTC chose not to apply a full livery of their own and only had the company badge and name inscribed on the sides. The item number of this model is 60072.

dsc012842scf.jpg

And a head-on view of E483 004. The story behind the white and red cab fronts is that the Dutch and Italian authorities demanded a "high visibility panel" be applied - white for the Netherlands and red for Italy. Of course, no 483s are currently operating in the Netherlands, but apparently Angel Trains anticipated a possible future use for these engines there. The "RT" suffix behind the engine number refers to RTC and is another requirement by the Italian authorities. Similarly, SBB Cargo is coded as "SR", as can be seen on the head-on photo of Re 484 021 earlier in this posting. Also note the blanked over slot for a destination indicator at the top of the windshield.

dsc012856k3v.jpg

Side view of the number 1 end of the engine. Note the recess for the fuel filler cap in the frame halfway down the engine side as well as the three distinct side panels. The low-slung casing under the frame between the bogies does not hold a transformer on the E483, but an electric inductor. Due to the absence of the transformer the E483 carries a few tonnes of ballast to provide for sufficient weight.

dsc01286lti0.jpg

And the number 2 end. The Italian train protection system, called "SCMT" nowadays, relies on frequency-modulated currents transmitted through the running rails, and therefore the 483 does not have any receivers mounted between the wheelsets.

dsc01287ou3a.jpg

Roofside view of the E483. The engine carries only two Schunk WBL 85/3 pans, but the mounting positions for an additional pair of AC pans over the cabs are present but blanked over, as on the real thing. Again, top marks for ACME here!

dsc012931quz.jpg

Yes, I did say smething about "four TRAXXes" in the subject, didn't I? icon_lol.gif This here is my Roco 185 which I thought I should include again in order to illustrate the external differences between the first generation TRAXX and the second and third generation.

dsc01294pq2k.jpg

The most obvious external difference is, of course, the different shape of the body fronts which I believe is clearly visible from this angle.

dsc012983rw5.jpg

This here is my ACME 185 again, shown here to illustrate the second generation TRAXX once more.

dsc01295lugk.jpg

Five TRAXXes? No icon_wink.gif . This here is a class 145 engine which, though externally quite similar, actually is the forerunner to the TRAXX family. Some German railfans refer to the 145s as "Baby TRAXX" due to them having only 4,200 kW instead of 5,600 kW, but strictly speaking it is incorrect to refer to these engines as "TRAXX".

dsc01296xsu1.jpg

And a final detail view of my 145 (of which I actually have two as these engines are frequently operated in pairs). As you can see, the overall shape is very similar to that of the 1st generation TRAXX, but one major difference between the 145 and the later TRAXX engines is that the roof on the latter had to be reduced in height in order to allow for operation under 25 kV AC.

Well, that would be it for the moment icon_biggrin.gif !

Comment posted by 1W03 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:02 pm

i See the differences on what you could call Progress with Bombardier.

Very top notch models their mind you. Good pics too, keep em coming.

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:06 am

Britannia_70045 wrote:

dsc01295lugk.jpg

Five TRAXXes? No
icon_wink.gif
. This here is a class 145 engine which, though externally quite similar, actually is the forerunner to the TRAXX family. Some German railfans refer to the 145s as "Baby TRAXX" due to them having only 4,200 kW instead of 5,600 kW, but strictly speaking it is incorrect to refer to these engines as "TRAXX".

dsc01296xsu1.jpg

And a final detail view of my 145 (of which I actually have two as these engines are frequently operated in pairs). As you can see, the overall shape is very similar to that of the 1st generation TRAXX, but one major difference between the 145 and the later TRAXX engines is that the roof on the latter had to be reduced in height in order to allow for operation under 25 kV AC.

Dominik - nice locos. I've a few Siemens & Bombardier Euro Sprinter derivations and I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

You mentioned the Class 145 being the forerunner of the TRAXX species - I have a Fleischmann 145 and they're a nice chunky model. I also have the Fleischmann DBAG Class 101, which I understand was built by Adtranz and between 1996 and 1999 to replace the the flagship TEE DB Class 103.

However, my question is: given that the New Jersey Transit US 7500 hp ALP-46 locomotive is derived from the DBAG Class 101 - and was built by Bombardier (previously ADtranz) - couldn't the 101 also be considered a loosely-related originator of the TRAXX family?

By the way, it's good to see that the Dark Side came over to the Euro Side via the ALP-46!!

??? posted on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:13 pm

DaveGeo wrote:

Dominik - nice locos. I've a few Siemens & Bombardier Euro Sprinter derivations and I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Yes, having a comparative view of Bombardier and Siemens engines might be quite interesting. I'm also planning on getting at least a 1216 and a 189 eventually, and maybe Roco's new 152 which has been announced for later this year.

You mentioned the Class 145 being the forerunner of the TRAXX species - I have a Fleischmann 145 and they're a nice chunky model.

Fleischmann do make well-engineered and well-running engines. The only downside to them - which but is a personal opinion of mine - is that Fleischmann do not have add-on bits like brake hoses for the buffer beams as these items definitely improve the look of any model. On a side note, however, I did see images of Fleischmann 101s and 151s which had brake hoses and other buffer beam equipment added. This required a number of holes to be drilled into the engine body, which but I am rather cautious about, so close to the edge of the body.

In addition I think the pantographs which Fleischmann use are a bit too - well, coarse might be the right word. No match for Roco pans by a large margin, if you ask me. If I were to buy a 101 now I would most probably fit it with Roco pans.

I also have the Fleischmann DBAG Class 101, which I understand was built by Adtranz and between 1996 and 1999 to replace the the flagship TEE DB Class 103.

However, my question is: given that the New Jersey Transit
locomotive is derived from the DBAG Class 101 - and was built by Bombardier (previously ADtranz) - couldn't the 101 also be considered a loosely-related originator of the TRAXX family?

Far as I understand the matter the TRAXX platform is some sort of an amalgam from the 101 and 145. The 145 is basically a derivative of AEG's class 128 or "12X" prototype which was unveiled in 1994 and which looks like this: Click. However, AEG was acquired by ABB Henschel in 1995, the resulting company then being called ADtranz. The 101, on the other hand, was part of a locomotive concept called Eco 2000 for which there was no real prototype in a strict sense - components meant for this design having been evaluated on engines 120 004 and 005 from 1992 onwards.

As for the ALP-46, I'm not sure where exactly to put this engine in the development which culminated in the TRAXX platform. But, yes, it does stand to reason that it could be considered sort of an ancestor to the TRAXX engines.

By the way, it's good to see that the Dark Side came over to the Euro Side via the ALP-46!!

I do like the ALP-46 - and I wonder why no H0 scale model of it has been done thus far. I would most likely buy one icon_biggrin.gif .

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Continuing your Bombardier theme, this week I purchased a Roco TRAXX 2 F140 AC2 class 185.2 hired to CrossRail AG and adorned with its new EVR:

91 80 6185 579-0 D-BTK

Here are a couple of pics:

file.php?id=86225

and

file.php?id=86226

I know what you mean about the coarseness of Fleischmann pantographs - the Roco standard is very good - similar sharpness as on my Bemo stuff.

The loco cost ?‚??129 - and when I enquired with Tim at Arcadia Models (see shop guide) about the Roco black version that was brought out at the same time, he said it was still available but had gone up by ?‚??40. Quite a rise since it was in stock with this white one in October! - so a white "Adriana" it was.

I think it looks quite smart.

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Just moving along to the Siemens EuroSprinter, here's a few pics of the ES 64 F4 MRCE Roco class 189 City Night Line - this time I got a black loco!

file.php?id=86230

file.php?id=86231

file.php?id=86232

The black paint job really does look excellent in the flesh. Excellent detail on the bogies and the roof electrics.

It also has it's new EVR: 91 80 6 189 090-4 D-DISPO

Really do like the Roco City Night Line loco - they also have matching stock for it. Expensive though - ?‚??167 when I got it in February - but it is so smooth running.

??? posted on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:22 pm

DaveGeo wrote:

Just moving along to the Siemens EuroSprinter, here's a few pics of the ES 64 F4 MRCE Roco class 189 City Night Line - this time I got a black loco!

EuroSprinter3_ES-64-F4_1.jpg

EuroSprinter3_ES-64-F4_2.jpg

EuroSprinter3_ES-64-F4_3.jpg

The black paint job really does look excellent in the flesh. Excellent detail on the bogies and the roof electrics.

Interesting indeed to be seeing Bombardier and Siemens engines in one thread icon_smile.gif . As for the Crossrail 185 from your previous post, I initially considered getting the black Crossrail Re 484, but I then learned that the two engines they had have long been returned to MRCE and re-hired to SBB Cargo. In addition the retailer I got the two models from told me the Crossrail 484 was sold out anyway, so I went for the SBB one instead. I might also have got the Cisalpino liveried SBB variant, but as Cisalpino no longer uses these engines I thought getting the "plain" SBB variant would give me the greatest degree of flexibility.

To expand on the MRCE 189 - Roco sure did a good job on the ES 64 F4. The only small issue I have with the model is that Roco have not done bogie frames with Integra-Signum and SHP receivers for those variants fitted for running in Switzerland or Poland respectively. Also, they have not yet done any prototypical Italian or Polish DC pantographs, so the two DC pans on the MRCE 189 - the ones on the inner two positions - are generic items. However, the MRCE 189s used for CityNightLine services have Dutch DC pans, and these have, in fact, been done by Roco. They can be obtained as spares. Likewise, to my knowledge the CityNightLine 189s actually have two German AC pans, whereas the model has one for Germany and a narrower one for Switzerland. I'd have to ask if I am not mistaken on this point or have a look at the real thing, but I'm quite certain. So, this means you would have to exchange three of the four pans on your engine if you would like to have it fitted like the real thing. However, this might be a somewhat pricey affair as one Roco pan comes at around 15 EUR a piece - more in the case of the Dutch DC pans, if memory serves me right.

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info Dominik. Two questions occur to me icon_question.gif .

First, so far as Dutch pantographs are concerned - I've found NS 1800 - is this what you refer to - or is there a Roco list of pantographs for all national rail operators?

Second, the City Night Line "Aurora" goes between Copenhagen and Basel - would it not therefore require a Swiss pantograph? Or, as Basel is on the border, does the rail access support German systems/pantographs?

??? posted on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:33 pm

DaveGeo wrote:

First, so far as Dutch pantographs are concerned - I've found
- is this what you refer to - or is there a Roco list of pantographs for all national rail operators?

No, the NS 1800 has a different kind of pantograph - to my knowledge a Faiveley type. As for the Dutch pans on the 189, these have the item number 85405 as the parts sheet for the Railion 189 (item 62432) reveals. I'm not sure how much they cost, but you should prepare to spend some 15 to 20 ?‚¬ a piece.

However, there is no actual list of which Roco pans correspond to which country.

Second, the City Night Line "Aurora" goes between Copenhagen and Basel - would it not therefore require a Swiss pantograph? Or, as Basel is on the border, does the rail access support German systems/pantographs?

I believe the Aurora is not hauled by the 189s as these were hired specifically for services to and from the Netherlands. In addition, Basle SBB Station can be reached with engines fitted only with DB pans. Same for the Muttenz marshalling yard, by the way icon_smile.gif .

??? posted on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am

An update to the 189-hauled CNL services: As of this month these are operated with DB Schenker engines rather than the black Dispolok ones.

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:24 pm

That's interesting - I also see that 91 80 6 189 090-4 D-DISPO was hired to DB AutoZug GmbH in Feb 2008.

Comment posted by admiles on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:44 pm

I hope a small hijack of this thread is ok. I was in Germany (Munich/Passau area) and noticed several locos

with additional numbers added to their running numbers.

I assume this is the "EVR" you've mentioned above? I'm guessing it's fairly new, certainly the last time I went in 2006 there were

no signs of it.

Many Thanks

Anthony

??? posted on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38 pm

admiles wrote:

I hope a small hijack of this thread is ok. I was in Germany (Munich/Passau area) and noticed several locos

with additional numbers added to their running numbers.

I assume this is the "EVR" you've mentioned above? I'm guessing it's fairly new, certainly the last time I went in 2006 there were

no signs of it.

Yes, these are the EVR numbers. They were first introduced in early 2007 and originally applied to newly built engines only. Existing motive power had these numbers added only later on. There still are many engines with only the original short numbers, though. Here is an explanation about what these numbers mean.

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Anthony

Dominik has nipped in before me but that's good because he started the thread. Anyway, I'll leave my comments intact and hopefully they'll complement Dominiks:

The "EVR" - as termed in this thread, is the unified approach based on earlier UIC member initiatives to create a 12-digit European Vehicle Registration number - there was an article in Today's Railways Europe issue TR158 and previously TR141 and TR144.

The 12-digit number is made up of various elements: UIC country codes, power type, individual national vehicle registers (loco class and serial number, the vehicle keeper marking - see interoperability or vehicle keeper marking (then 16th preliminary list) at: (VKM).

EDIT: Make that the 22nd preliminary list now.

So, "91 80 6 189 090-4 D-DISPO" translates to a german electric (91 80), electric class 189 loco (6 189-090), the check-digit for those these items (4) then the country code again and owner (D-DISPO) i.e. Deutsche-Dispolok.

In case anyones interested, I've developed a Java program to calculate them - it's in early stages but I'll post a link shortly.

UK modellers should be aware that this applies to all UIC members i.e. including GB.

Comment posted by admiles on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:42 am

Thank you for the information both Dominik and Dave.

I was in Germany two weeks ago having not been since mid 2006.

Munich Hbf was frantic as always though sadly the 113/115 (ex.110) pilots working ECS trains seem to have

disappeared. These duties were mostly in the hands of radio control equiped 363's with atleast four different

examples seem within a few hours. That said I did see two 110's in the depot on the station approaches.

There also seemed to be a lot more propelling of ECS out of the station by the inbound train loco than I remember from previous visits.

Muhldorf based "SudOst BayernBahn" 218 were still in charge of most internal trains heading south and east of

Munich, some in pairs too. Electric hauled RB/RE trains all seem to be hauled by 111's at the moment, back in 2006

many were 143 hauled.

Strangely I saw no class 120's at all so I guess they don't work that far south any more. 101's seem to haul all the IC trains

now. Shame as I always rather liked the 120's. Any idea of gooed areas to see them these days?

Likewise most trains from Austria/Italy seem to be hauled by OBB Taurus locos, with only a couple of 1044/1144's mixed in.

Anyway ramble over. I can post some photos if anyone is interested, not great as the weather was pretty wet while I was there icon_frustrated.gif

Anthony

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Anthony - thanks for the information and, from my perspective, some photos would be great to see, particularly any loco hauled freight - but passenger would be every bit as good.

This thread could become very Bombardier/Siemens flavoured by the looks of it. I'm a Taurus fan in particular - just acquired another one very recently (Roco HUPAC 1116 ) - that makes 8!! I'm sure Dominik won't mind lots of Euro locos appearing on this thread and serving as enlightenment for others - at least it will strike a balance with the dark side - although I've been bitten there recently aswell!

Dominik's your man for 120 sightings - no doubt he'll be along shortly.

NB: see the edit to my Vehicle Keeper Marking link post above.

??? posted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm

DaveGeo wrote:

Dominik's your man for 120 sightings - no doubt he'll be along shortly.

You called me and here I am icon_biggrin.gif . I have two locomotive schedules for the 120 at hand from the railway magazine "Bahn-Report" which were valid from 14 December 2008 until 14 June 2009. Obviously I cannot scan and post them here for copyright reasons, but there were, in fact, several workings out of and into Munich, but not very many. In addition, many of those workings around Munich were actually empty stock services or simple locomotive positioning moves. For example, engines slated for "Day 3" duty on Wednesdays worked the following services which I believe should be okay to post as an excerpt:

* 1201 Munich Central (MH) 6:56-7:05 Munich Eastern (MOP)

* Lr 78197 Munich Eastern 11:17-12:27 Munich-Pasing Betriebsbahnhof (MPB)

* Lr 78194 MPB 13:31-13:43 MH

* Tfzf 79487 G2 (engine dead in tow) MH 17:13-17:25 MPB

* Lr 78204 MPB 18:22-18:36 MH

* Lr 78203 MH 19:27-19:37 MOP

* Tfzf 79510 MOP 20:37-20:47 Munich-Laim marshalling yard (MLR)

* 13328 MLR 21:55-11:33 Hamburg-Altona (AA) 11:50-12:05 Hamburg-Langenfelde Betriebsbahnhof (ALA)

The bracketed letters are station codes from the "DS100" directory. The "Lr" prefix means "Leerreisezug" or empty stock service, and "Tfzf" means "Triebfahrzeugfahrt" or locomotive positioning move.

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:17 pm

How's that then - I knew it, I just knew you'd have the info Dominik. icon_clap.gif

??? posted on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:51 am

DaveGeo wrote:

How's that then - I knew it, I just knew you'd have the info Dominik.
icon_clap.gif

This was actually a coincidence as I bought that specific issue of Bahn-Report in order to check whether the magazine itself was any good, not in order to get these specific schedules icon_lol.gif . There are, of course, German railway forums which circulate locomotive schedules, but I personally have come to have rather big reservations about German railway forums as too many of the folks there have a frightening absence of manners and reason. But that's just my personal view icon_smile.gif .

Archived