Peak rail at Matlock

Michael Delamar

engineering work on 24th appears to be at Ambergate.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.html?nojs=true&action=true&txtTravelDate=24%2F04%2F2011&toc=em

but as I say, the trackwork at Matlock is to be laid by contractors, would be an ideal time to do it.

has to be done by contractors as its Network rail land. PR obtained a grant for this a while back, think it was £30,000?

they plan to retain riverside station for emergencies.

the sceptic in me says it may not be long before someone upstairs decides that using 2 locos and 2 sets of paid crew to run one train is expensive and then they start using riverside again.

apart from dmu's is there any sort of push pull sets around, like the ex LNWR LMS ones? that could be restored for use?

• 2 weeks later...

seen some pics of the reconnection taking place,I think over the last day or so, will post if get permission.

Excellent news, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

I'll be going past tonight on my way home from work, so I'll have to see what's going on.

They were working on the track on Monday when I was there but they hadn't moved the fence or anything, looks like they are advancing with it quickly though. I guess the signalling will take a while to commission yet anyway before the opening and will need to be inspected before the public can use it. I took pictures of most of the posts that are ready and waiting without the arms fitted yet.

Inspired by the recent EVR poster, here is what I hope will one day be a Peak rail poster.

peakrailposter.jpg

Peak Rail really is the sleeping giant of preservation. They've got so much wonderful defunct infrastructure on their doorstep, but don't seem to have the publicity clout to get access to - and use it - in the way that the Great Central have.

Hopefully they will be able to extend northward (and hopefully in my lifetime!) , but how they will co-exist with the cycle and walking routes which use the formation is quite another matter.

next stop for Peak rail after Matlock is finished is Rowsley station, known as Rowsley 2nd station

http://www.disused-s...ley/index.shtml

its 1 mile from the current Rowsley south MPD site where there wasnt originally a station and is right on the edge of the A6 where the missing bridge is, I believe they have cut down a lot of trees for this. they have a lease for the station site and the 1 mile of line.

at least it will then go from somewhere to somewhere. Rowsley having pubs restaurants etc nearby (the first station site and building exist in a shopping centre but is off the mainline route), the platforms at the 2nd station will need digging out and new station buildings built. Peak rail actually took down the station building many years ago to build a toilet building at Darley dale.

from the current Rowsley south the track will skirt the river around the outer path of the marshalling yard, the mainline formation has been built on with a restaurant.

then if/when they can get over the problem of the missing 100ft A6 bridge where they have a problem as the road has been raised there is the viaduct which still exists which may need work, then there is another missing bridge demolished by the Haddon estate then Haddon tunnel (where the haddon estate are not too keen on the railway being reinstated and the tunnel may need work) and then its Bakewell station.

theyve had a hard time compared to other preserved railways as this railway has had to be rebuilt totally and dug out of woodlands, theyve also had a lot of paperwork with regards Matlock.

once they get to Bakewell then the route is a little easier as station buildings etc exist and its in the Peak park, but Ive heard a rumour the peak park dont want any terminus stations in the peak park,

there is also a concern over bridge 35 at Matlocks condition

lmnp if youve got a camera with you on the off chance, take some pics :)

I can confirm that the fence has gone and the connection has been made. I didn't have a camera, but if I get a chance I'll grab a few shots tomorrow.

thanks LMNP

im not sure when they are putting in the track at the platform, they keep everything a bit to themselves, bit hard to extract info out of them.

but I have seen that the DWVRT have secured period midland gaslamps for Matlock to be placed in the original positions and are the moment drelling and painting them, i assume they will be electric.

and they are working on the midland benches they have aquired.

they also have got the funding for the totems for these. I think the man in charge is looking for funding for a running in board.

Well I managed to take a few snaps this afternoon. The curve doesn't look as tight as I expected, but there does seem to be an elevation change.

post-644-0-95659000-1304099193_thumb.jpg

post-644-0-82803800-1304099198_thumb.jpg

post-644-0-62213700-1304099204_thumb.jpg

post-644-0-31351400-1304099210_thumb.jpg

All the point rodding is still to be attached, and there's a small pile of balast in the middle of the track. Do they have access to a track tamper machine, or is it done by hand?

next stop for Peak rail after Matlock is finished is Rowsley station, known as Rowsley 2nd station

theyve had a hard time compared to other preserved railways as this railway has had to be rebuilt totally and dug out of woodlands, theyve also had a lot of paperwork with regards Matlock.

once they get to Bakewell then the route is a little easier as station buildings etc exist and its in the Peak park, but Ive heard a rumour the peak park dont want any terminus stations in the peak park,

there is also a concern over bridge 35 at Matlocks condition

Can be done with the right publicity though, witness the Welsh Highland Railway with almost identical problems, right down to a national park that wouldn't allow a temporary terminus station at Beddgelert and didn't really want the temporary one that was at Rhyd Ddu and a replacement bridge over a river.

Phil T.

I dont think the tamper does work, or if it does its not for this work according to one of the volunteers.

Im wondering when trackwork and platform clearence will start at Matlock station, I think it is now or very soon, can our man on the spot report on this?

Mike

I haven't been on the train to work for a week, but there was certainly no sign of any work taking place in the station area then.

There is a bit of info in the local rag:

Matlock Mercury

I'll be round the station area on Thursday, so I'll take a look then and grab some photos of anything going on.

do you catch the train from Matlock regular?

Not as often as I used to, I recently moved further away so the walk to the station now takes 20 minutes. Mostly I drive to Whatstandwell station and catch the train from there. Unfortunately EMT are now introducing parking charges at this station, which makes it a much less viable option.

Archived