Peak rail at Matlock

Michael Delamar

Julia Bradbury hosted a railway walks programe over the Monsal Trail not much about the line when working but it did show what has been lost to the network and a few ph otos of BR trains, shame trains wont run over this section again shows how poloticians should be kept out of transport issues.

Julia Bradbury hosted a railway walks programe over the Monsal Trail not much about the line when working but it did show what has been lost to the network and a few ph otos of BR trains, shame trains wont run over this section again shows how poloticians should be kept out of transport issues.

Dont know what happenned to that post did not mean to post in triplicate!

You can edit your post by clicking on the edit button then highlight the parts you don't want and delete them and then save changes and will all be done.

• RMweb Gold

If its true that they are relaying the track this weekend

could that be a reason why the tour had to be called off.

say if they couldnt get it done any other time?

either way we shall wait and see.

I suspect a very good reason for calling off the railtour is that there isn't yet a proper railway there to run it overwink.gif - the signalling is incomplete (and still being 'fiddled with' - judging by some comments I have just read elsewhere on the 'net - following some fairly elementary errors coming to light), certain critical documentation has not even been started as they are reportedly only this week trying to find someone who is qualified to do that work, there are various other things which they are required to have in place before through working can begin and from what I have heard today none of the few people who are competent to do that have even been approached or asked to tender for the work.

I also think their 02 July opening date seems bit optimistic unless they have a large gang they can put onto platform clearance & preparation work at Matlock; plus the photos in this thread don't reveal how that platform is to be accessed - does anyone know if there is some sort of separate entrance to it?

• RMweb Gold

from what ive read it is to have a ramp/staircase to meet the Sainsburys footbridge

Is there any sign of that starting yet I wonder? they do seem to be cutting things rather fine (I know that is not uncommon but there does seem to be an awful lot which hasn't started happening when it should really have been underway some time back).

exactly

I ask the same question many times, but the volunteers seem to get upset.

and the volunteers who have left seem bitter about the Mother and daughter managing directors who they are very critical of.

basically on their lack of getting things done, communication, strict discpline code and lack of railway experience, also that they cant be voted out.

but at least somethings happening.

1 reason this has taken so long is the red tape with Network rail.

I imagine if Network rail didnt use Matlock station, Peak rail would have been in there years ago.

the 1 mile extension the other way into Peak village shouldnt take as long I would think.

• RMweb Gold

exactly

I ask the same question many times, but the volunteers seem to get upset.

and the volunteers who have left seem bitter about the Mother and daughter managing directors who they are very critical of.

basically on their lack of getting things done, communication, strict discpline code and lack of railway experience, also that they cant be voted out.

but at least somethings happening.

1 reason this has taken so long is the red tape with Network rail.

I imagine if Network rail didnt use Matlock station, Peak rail would have been in there years ago.

the 1 mile extension the other way into Peak village shouldnt take as long I would think.

From what I have heard today they are still a long way from being out of the wood with NR both in terms of procedural stuff and fees. I also get the impression - albeit at third hand - that they are not really sufficiently experienced in doing this sort of thing - hence what appear to be some procedural 'holes' on their part plus they seem to be trying to do some of it 'on the cheap' and, not surprisingly, nobody is biting at that sort of (non) bait. A big reason for the latter, which I think probably hasn't even occurred to them, is that anyone doing procedural work for them on an unpaid basis would not be covered by professional indemnity insurance (which could put their business/livelihood at risk, for no return).

As you say going the other way would, in many respects, be far simpler as they are at least not having to deal with NR and be bound by NR's timescales.

the photos in this thread don't reveal how that platform is to be accessed - does anyone know if there is some sort of separate entrance to it?[/i]

The entrance is planned to be at the north end of the Down platform (Platform 2) i.e. next to the 'back door' to Sainsbury's and quite a hike for people transferring off the East Midlands Trains service or parking in the Town Centre car park next to the Rail and Bus stations. Handy if you need to buy sarnies though :D

Now why aren't I surprised when I read that PR want to do things 'on the cheap'?

I'll keep my eyes and ears open at the weekend Mike for signs of any work taking place. The station is just at the bottom of our road.

I agree they want to do things on the cheap

They did have a grant in the region of £30,000 for this work to be done.

but that would soon be gone on paperwork

I do think however that something isnt right with the managing side. and that a lot of people want them out, although theyve secured themselves a solid unmoveable positon.

volunteers have been dismissed for bad mouthing them, Ive heard stories of volunteers who've being threatned with legal action over trying to get them out, even for things like asking on internet groups,or talking about them round the worksites. solicitors fees for this being spent from the company funds.

but the management do seem overly fussy, Ive heard they oversee things like shunting manouvers for example.

with results that a lot of owners of stock have moved elsewhere.

the managing directeress seems very good at contacting the local newspaper whenever something is planned, but very little good at anything else.

I think the managers want the railway to be like the paignton and dartmouth, in the way its run..

Im not sure how many other preserved railways employ drivers as staff?

the attitude is that the railway should carry families who dont care what the train or engine is, rather than the enthusiast. which is were a lot of enthusiasts and volunteers seem to disagree.

forgetting that a lot of enthusiasts take their families to preserved railways.

cant seem to get any answer from them with regards bridge 35, Ive heard that just refurbing it wont bring up the route availablity but it would need a new bridge, like the NYMR bridge.

but it seems to be getting better. they are in a position opposite to say the East lancs, where the area around the east lancs benefited from the railway being restored and the councillers could see that.

here the attractions and visitors are already there in the peak park, so they have to be careful with all the local authorities to keep them happy.

• RMweb Gold

I agree they want to do things on the cheap

They did have a grant in the region of £30,000 for this work to be done.

but that would soon be gone on paperwork

I think part of the current problem is that it didn't go on paperwork (or on all the paperwork that is needed - possibly because they didn't know what is needed?)

I do think however that something isnt right with the managing side. and that a lot of people want them out, although theyve secured themselves a solid unmoveable positon.

volunteers have been dismissed for bad mouthing them, Ive heard stories of volunteers who've being threatned with legal action over trying to get them out, even for things like asking on internet groups,or talking about them round the worksites. solicitors fees for this being spent from the company funds.

but the management do seem overly fussy, Ive heard they oversee things like shunting manouvers for example.

with results that a lot of owners of stock have moved elsewhere.

the managing directeress seems very good at contacting the local newspaper whenever something is planned, but very little good at anything else.

I think the managers want the railway to be like the paignton and dartmouth, in the way its run..

Im not sure how many other preserved railways employ drivers as staff?

Running a preserved/heritage/tourist railway is a very difficult business involving rationalising the situation between all sorts of conflicting interests. My experience with the sector generally indicates that a cohesive management (or 'dictator' in some cases) works well in keeping things focused and moving ahead. Also getting rid of 'helpful' resident groups can also be a good thing in some cases. But the key to all of it is keeping the core people on side and taking them with you and if that doesn't happen there will be problems sooner or later - managing it all is a difficult job and it needs some good 'people skills' (to use the buzz words) and it needs good knowledge of at least some areas of the business. Some people are excellent at it, others are not. And to my knowledge a number of railways employ paid staff as Drivers - it isn't unusual although very few operate with only paid Drivers.

the attitude is that the railway should carry families who dont care what the train or engine is, rather than the enthusiast. which is were a lot of enthusiasts and volunteers seem to disagree.

forgetting that a lot of enthusiasts take their families to preserved railways.

A railway has to decide its best market area and then exploit it to the maximum if it wishes to remain in business. I know of two - both in tourist areas - which concentrate heavily on the 'family' and 'coach tour' markets and both are profitable concerns which are well managed (by paid managers) employing a number of permanent staff providing valuable local employment. Maybe that is the model the lady at PR is trying to emulate - one day?

cant seem to get any answer from them with regards bridge 35, Ive heard that just refurbing it wont bring up the route availablity but it would need a new bridge, like the NYMR bridge.

but it seems to be getting better. they are in a position opposite to say the East lancs, where the area around the east lancs benefited from the railway being restored and the councillers could see that.

here the attractions and visitors are already there in the peak park, so they have to be careful with all the local authorities to keep them happy.

All a question of relationships and marketing - making friends and influencing people. If you can't do that you're going nowhere>

Peak Rail isn't actually in the Peak Park yet, and won't be until they first reach Rowsley (a likely scenario) and then progress to the north of the A6.

On the subject of Haddon Hall owned by the Manners family. The family was very anti-railway in the nineteenth century, hence the cut & cover tunnel to avoid spoiling the view. Maybe their views haven't changed a great deal with the passing generations.

The station is just at the bottom of our road.

I'm without a camera this weekend, so any chance you could get some pictures of the work in progress and post them on here?

.....On the subject of Haddon Hall owned by the Manners family. The family was very anti-railway in the nineteenth century, hence the cut & cover tunnel to avoid spoiling the view. Maybe their views haven't changed a great deal with the passing generations.

I've seen glaciers move faster.

I've seen glaciers move faster.

As a geography student about to sit a glaciers exam, I can say that glaciers do move quite quickly when they want to!

Hopefully the work at Matlock and Rowsley will move a bit faster though.

• RMweb Gold

My experience with the sector generally indicates that a cohesive management (or 'dictator' in some cases) works well in keeping things focused and moving ahead.

>

I think it was the late Gianni Agnelli of Fiat who expressed the view that a committee should have an odd number of members and three is too many.

I'm without a camera this weekend, so any chance you could get some pictures of the work in progress and post them on here?

Well, I've walked down to the station and not a lot appears to have been done. In fact, nothing at all! All the plant is sitting where it was parked yesterday morning. Will report further when there is something to add.

Archived