LNER Building and Structure Paint Colours

I've been putting together a document/information sheet that attempts to summarise in detail the 2 different painting schemes in use from 1923 and then 1937. Unfortunately there are a number of errors and omissions in the sources I currently have.

I realise it's a long shot, but does anybody out there have, or know of someone who has, any of the following:

A copy of the original 1923 (or 1924) painting specification;

A copy of the 1937 version;

Either a colour chart or some other means of identifying the specific LNER colours (as opposed to BS colours), referenced NE 1xx in the specification.

TIA.

Hi Mick,

Thanks but that site has comparatively minimal information and also some errors!

I'm working to a level of detail that identifies individual elements of a structure, even down to the separate parts of a single element - for example a high column is painted one colour at the base to about 4'6" high, then a 1.5" wide band, with a different colour up to the top. My 'data sheet' so far has an introductory page, 7 pages of closely-typed details of individual elements and colours for both specifications, and 3 appendices covering details of the actual paint colours, preservatives, and the symbology used on notices etc.

That's why I really need sight of copies of the original specifications.

• 10 years later...
On 07/11/2009 at 14:25, Pint of Adnams said:

I've been putting together a document/information sheet that attempts to summarise in detail the 2 different painting schemes in use from 1923 and then 1937. Unfortunately there are a number of errors and omissions in the sources I currently have.

I realise it's a long shot, but does anybody out there have, or know of someone who has, any of the following:

A copy of the original 1923 (or 1924) painting specification;

A copy of the 1937 version;

Either a colour chart or some other means of identifying the specific LNER colours (as opposed to BS colours), referenced NE 1xx in the specification.

TIA.

It is a while since you posted this. Did you have any joy getting further info on the 1937 scheme?

Cheers,

Martin

Yes, but still some information missing and details to check. The main difference from 1937 is in the change from browns to greens. There are in fact 4 different schemes, 1923 and 1930 which are based on brown and creams and are very similar, 1937 which made the change to greens and creams and lasted into BR days on some lines such as the GE, and a mid-30s 'brighter stations' initiative which used additional colours but for which information is frustratingly sparse.

Edited by Pint of Adnams