Did BRM pull the plug on it's old forum?

AndyB

Well, it's all in the title.

But I just tried to find BRM's old website and forum.

Whisks straight forward to their new website.

Have they pulled the plug on the old forum?

If so, farewell to the small group of regular posters! It was nice meeting you all.

Hope to hear from you occassionaly on RMWeb!

Best, Andy

• RMweb Premium

yep, seems to have gone; only random snapshots available via the wayback machine now:-

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080119214050/http://www.brmodelling.co.uk/forum/default.asp

There was some useful info buried in the forum here and there, pity if it's gone forever.

EDIT: anyone got an offline copy of the thread announcing the birth of RMweb 1.0? B)

Guest dilbert

Visited it a few times in the past, a little disappointing with not a lot going for it, besides I got the impression that a few members are/were anti RMWeb ??

Interesting comment re. the anti/pro RMweb position... there are quite a few members here that were on the original BRM site (rolling back those years) ... given the activity in recent times, the number of anti-RMweb members could be counted your forefinger. The lack of functionality that is taken for granted today didn't exist.. this has been covered in other threads on this site...

What would be a shame is that if the old BRM archives were lost - there were some gems in there, that showed the ingenuity of the contributor where there was no image upload interface and no way that a post could be edited (post finger afterthought)... another page is turned ... dilbert

Well let's start here....

RailwayModellingWeb(1) — folkestonekeith — 17/03/2005 19:42:13Last night and today I've tried to register on the RailwayModellingWeb but cannot seem to get past the "Privacy Statement". I click on agree but it returns to the Privacy Agreement.

Talking to RMW it seems as though there are two of us suffereing from the this problem. I wonder if there are more - anyone else out there tried to register but gave up without contacting RMW?

Keithtrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(2) — Norm — 17/03/2005 20:49:29Have you tried adjusting your internet privacy settings a bit lower?? And making sure your cookies are enabled?

We need a computer literate techie to answer this one really!

It IS worth signing up to!trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(3) — folkestonekeith — 17/03/2005 21:41:22Yep, Norm, I've done everything that Andy has suggested but still can't get past that Privacy Statement. What is really wierd is that I signed up to the ModelRailroader forum (which uses similar forum software) and had no problems.

Andy is working on it so hope I can get in soon!!!

Keithtrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(4) — Gordon S — 17/03/2005 21:50:27Just tried this evening and had the same problem. I would like to register so will watch this space.

Gordon Strans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(5) — makemineadouble — 18/03/2005 05:43:27I think it's a vast improvement on presentation

and the feature for photo's will be very useful.

great job Andy

8-)trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(6) — Norm — 18/03/2005 15:34:45Another suggestion - use a different email address to sign up with if you have one?

I understand these things when they work, but when my pc breaks I'm clueless!trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(7) — Paul — 18/03/2005 19:39:23I cannot get in either, and had quite an e-mail discussion with Andy about privacy settings. The problem I have is that the privacy settings in use on my PC have proven to be necessary, so backing them off is not an option. There is a custom privacy setting facility that appears to offer the possibility of setting a lower level of privacy for site addresses nominated by the user: however this did not help either. trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(8) — Fat Controller — 18/03/2005 22:51:34Maybe its Andy who needs to relax his site's requirements so that potential users can become resident users before they loose interest?

FCtrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(9) — Col H — 19/03/2005 09:13:32Curious, I got on no problem and have barbed wire and machine gun nests surrounding my computer. Mind you, these days, 'Noddy' and 'Faraway Tree' probably have alternative meanings that set off alarm bells. I dread to think what A2 Pacific fans get when they type in 'Bachelor's Button'.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(10) — Norm — 19/03/2005 20:22:40Col H I am the same as you, except i'd say I also had missile launchers, a few tanks and a pack of rotties!

No problems for me, and my pc is locked up tighter than a nun's knickers (no offence to anyone there!).trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(11) — Simon — 20/03/2005 10:05:40I've got the same problem, can't get past the privacy statement.

Considering how well my PC normally works, my conclusion is that this needs resolving at Andy's end, I'm sure he'll be keen to sort it out.

Indidentally, my "coming out" post here was unanswerable, in a technical not accepting replies sort of way, don't know why that was either....trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifRailwayModellingWeb(12) — Andy Y — 21/03/2005 08:11:40The problem appears to be a software firewall issue particularly with Norton and ZoneAlarm.

There is no "security" issue with the RMWEB site but there is something within Norton and Zone Alarm which causes the forum software to run in a loop at this point.

Other users have managed to get in by temporarily disabling the firewall software, registering, and the re-enabling their firewall software. No further occurrence happens when the user carries out a normal login.

I hope this is of some assistance.

...and the next day......Who'd have thought it....B)

New Railway Modelling Forum(1) — Bob — 19/03/2005 10:20:44There is a new forum at <www.rmweb.co.uk> which is all the things that this BRM forum could be.

Unfortunately some of the members of this BRM forum, after praising the new forum have found that their posts have been removed and their memberships revoked.

BRM has an acceptable use policy which this post does not breach in any way.

Should BRM wish to revoke my membership of this forum for this posting they will be guilty of a breach of my human rights in that they are denying my rights to freedom of speech. This, they may well find, is actionable.

There is plenty of scope for two forums on our favourite hobby and I would wish that both forums go from strength to strength.

Bob.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(2) — Colin McLeod — 19/03/2005 11:14:50Bob. What damages will you claim?trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(3) — Bob — 19/03/2005 11:24:17Hi Colin

An LNER K3 if, and when,I can get one that makes it out of the dealers without breaking down.

But that's another niggle.

Just got very annoyed at the way 250bob has been treated so, if I'm going to be booted off as well I may as well make a point.

Right...Rant over, looking forward to the Six Nations this afternoon, feet up, cheering on Wales and drinking a glass of Guinness. Best of both worlds.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(4) — paulmag — 19/03/2005 12:35:42Both forums seem helpful and informative. More the merrier I say.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(5) — Bob — 19/03/2005 13:10:06Hi Paul

Couldn't agree more.

Just a shame that this one throws members off when they express enthusiasm about an alternative forum.

Ideally the two should be complimentary and not competitive.

Bob.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(6) — paulmag — 19/03/2005 13:30:44Can only compare it to being like an away supporter sat with the home fans!

Nuff said.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(7) — Colin McLeod — 19/03/2005 14:49:17Hi Bob. I Agree with you about 250bob. He should nt be thrown off for saying good things about another site. I believe that Andy himself did nt suffer that fate.

Now abut that rugby match. I'll be cheering Ireland, but no hard feelings.

Colin from Cork.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(8) — Colin McLeod — 19/03/2005 17:48:08Bob.

Have to conceed Rugby match.Congratulations. Well there is always next time.

Now back to railway modelling.

Colintrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(8) — Bob — 19/03/2005 17:56:08Hi Colin

What a match!

The result takes nothing away from Ireland who played magnificently.

That's brightened my weekend considerably but to get back to this forum, I'm just waiting for the chop sometime on Monday which will reinforce my opinion of the site owners earlier actions with regard to 250bob.

We bobs must stick together!

Bob. trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(9) — Colin McLeod — 19/03/2005 18:34:20BOb

If you anticiapte really being cut off, perhaps you should print out this thread for use when you submit your claim for the K3 :-)trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(10) — Bob — 19/03/2005 21:20:42Colin

I'd consider honour to be satisfied if 250bob is reinstated.

Bobtrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(11) — Colin McLeod — 19/03/2005 22:08:37So would Itrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(12) — Andrew — 20/03/2005 10:40:09Simple solution... If BRM revoke membership for acknowledging another site everybody pack your bags and decant to the other site! I cannot imagine why BRM would revoke membership on these gounds though, they advertise other sites, we can mention other websites, and there is room for all. If membership is revoked on these grounds then BRM will be the loosertrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(13) — Colin McLeod — 21/03/2005 08:36:41Monday Morning 08:37

Good to see you are still here Bob.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(14) — Bob — 21/03/2005 10:47:16Good morning Colin

Yes, still here and able to log on, let's see how long it lasts.

All we need is for our friend 250bob to reappear and we'll be able to put the whole thing down to an "Unfortunate Computer Error"

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(15) — cambrian5982 — 25/03/2005 13:06:28judging from the "other forum" involved, I doubt he'll want to come back anyway ...

briantrans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(16) — Andy Gilbert — 29/03/2005 10:32:08"their memberships revoked" - We haven't revoked any memberships.trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gif<A name=14261>New Railway Modelling Forum(17) — Bob — 29/03/2005 21:52:47"Its me, 250BOB, who posted on the BRM site yesterday, a thread saying what a fantastic site this is. GUESS WHAT..!!!!

The thread I posted has been removed, and my membership recinded, I have been cleansed, banned from the site, unable to log in, etc etc etc

Oh well.."

The above was posted 17/3/05 on the RMWeb forum.

It may well be that, as previously suggested, an "Unfortunate Computer Error" has indeed been the cause.

trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gifNew Railway Modelling Forum(18) — timboward — 29/03/2005 22:38:34Speaking as mainly a lurker makng an occasional contribution I think there is room for several forums (or is it fora).

Maybe a bit of competition would make BRM smarten up its act. For a publisher, it does not do a good job in keeping its site up to date. I hope it improves because I have found this site to be a good read when it is at its best.

tim

Found it......:)

A lot of blood, sweat and tears....(1) — Andy Y — 15/03/2005 15:02:26.....but I think I've got the basic framework sorted on the website I mentioned in an earlier posting (http://www.brmodelling.com/forum/view.asp?postID=12532. Thanks for the input given, I've tried to build most of it in, not everything yet but it's well on its way.

We have: Forums, articles, reviews, free classifieds, diary dates - yes I know there's a lot of empty space on there but it is day1! :-)

Anyway pop by and tell me what you think!

www.rmweb.co.uk

Thanks, Andy :-)

trans.giftrans.gif999999.giftrans.gif

999999.gif<A name=13546>A lot of blood, sweat and tears....(2) — 250BOB — 15/03/2005 20:26:09The website looks great Andy, its seems exactly what I have been hoping someone would come up with sooner or later. I hope everyone gets on board and gives it their support now. Perhaps now people will post pics of their layouts in all their various stages of construction, that will help me immensley in the early stages of my construction.

Fantastic.....good luck. Hope to see you all on the rmweb soon.

999999.gifA lot of blood, sweat and tears....(3) — Pete H — 15/03/2005 23:36:23Well done Andy,the site looks great.I will try to register tomorrow,dont know what Ill post but it will fill up a bit of space :-)

See you there....

Pete

• RMweb Premium

None of the mainstream UK magazines have a significant 'real time' web presence do they? In particular forums. Totally understandable given that the time, effort and money required to run a forum like RMweb would presumably be very difficult to justify for commercial magazines with circulations in the 25-45K* per issue range. IIRC Model Railroader circulation is about 160K, in comparison.

* My estimate based on public domain data for MR and RM from abc:-

http://www.abc.org.uk/Data/ProductPage.aspx?tid=12377

http://www.abc.org.uk/Data/ProductPage.aspx?tid=342

None of the mainstream UK magazines have a significant 'real time' web presence do they? In particular forums.

They missed the opportunity.

It would be a logical part of advertising spend.

But I think it conflicts with the mindset of a "traditional" set in its way publication. See also how slow the newspaper industry were to take up an online presence and are now just a "me2" when compared to other media such as the BBC and Sky.

I think the BRM forum was out there in the lead - I just think they failed to keep up with the rapid changes in the internet. Just like the original CompuServe forums they became locked into the old text-only format. This hobby and the internet is all about imagery. RMWeb's success IMO has all been about displaying the assets of the hobby along while being diverse in its approach. We can thank Andy for that. There are many other sites out there with a narrower focus and often with some quality posts but they all seem to lack that "life" that RMWeb exhibits. Andy can thank (or curse) the membership for that.

My nephew used to like driving the little train around. He hasn't tried lately, probably due to the fact that he is now 13 years old. I guess he won't miss it.

Geoff Endacott

I'd forgotten about that!

Mind you there's probably a mobile phone app with it on these days.

If not, there should be! B)

• RMweb Premium

I got introduced to this site via the old BRM forum, and I then gave up with BRM as the forum was slow to progress, and there was not a lot of interest some days. I was lucky as I never got my membership cancelled, but then I stayed away from the discussion about other forums. I also felt that many of the members of the BRM forum needed a sense of humour transplant.

• RMweb Premium

I got introduced to this site via the old BRM forum, and I then gave up with BRM as the forum was slow to progress, and there was not a lot of interest some days. I was lucky as I never got my membership cancelled, but then I stayed away from the discussion about other forums. I also felt that many of the members of the BRM forum needed a sense of humour transplant.

That's a bit unfair. We are/were just old (and not so old) f***s! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

New Railway Modelling Forum(1) — Bob — 19/03/2005 10:20:44

Should BRM wish to revoke my membership of this forum for this posting they will be guilty of a breach of my human rights in that they are denying my rights to freedom of speech. This, they may well find, is actionable.

:rolleyes: :D

Was this the forum that didn't move threads to the top of the pile when they had new replies? So you'd have a thread with loads of activity/replies and it would be buried on page 2 because other threads had been posted since? I remember having a chat with the owner about changing to the more traditional forum format (as used on practically every other forum on the entire interweb) and he said he wanted to try something different based on the amount of 'interest' in a thread, and not the number of replies.

I then remember starting a thread asking people how they'd like the forum to operate so we could feed the info back and it got removed. Twice. Promptly followed by a pm from said owner saying (in robust language) that I should just stick to discussing railway modelling and stop trying to interfere with his running of the forum. In short, he knew best, and the rest of the interweb had got the design of forums wrong and what the users wanted was irrelevant.

For some bizarre reason I didn't bother going there from then on. Strange that.

• 3 months later...

A railway magazine I won't mention started a website many years ago. I suppose it was quite venturesome. One Saturday morning I read that enthusiasts were arranging 'meetings' in the toilet on Warrington station....My eyes watered! It was early days and seeing as no one thought to moderate the site at weekends, some people were having a laugh. Embarrassingly my grandson had read some bits and as the remarks were doing the magazine no favours I made the publishers aware. The following Monday a very annoyed editor phoned me saying that his publisher had made him "waste his weekend moderating the site".

enthusiasts were arranging 'meetings' in the toilet on Warrington station.

That is why I am always wary of "enthusiasts" and never describe myself as one..........rolleyes.gif

I remember being 16 and was told by a colleague about "cottaging" - I still didn't catch on at the time. An innocent abroad, I was, Larry.

Best, Pete.

Archived