Change here for Penhydd, Llangunllo & Bleddfa Road.

sparky

Well thanks Chaps for all your kind words :blush_mini:

All this has come as a surprise as the post was a result of my son uploading one of my pics. elsewhere on the forum. The Mod's decided it was more suited to this area and so moved it here thus starting a new thread !

To be honest I prefer it here with the old format and so will be taking Penhydd off blog. and posting anything new here. I won't be moving any material from the blog here as it is available on http://thechronicles...d.blogspot.com/

As for shadows Jim, you are going to need them all on New St., !!

I have a new batch of pics. and will post them here soon.

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

As for shadows Jim, you are going to need them all on New St., !!

I have a new batch of pics. and will post them here soon.

Cheers,

Geoff

[/i]

Hi Geoff

You have that right! I am still toying with the idea of backlighting the layout

Really looking forward to your new pics

Cheers

Jim

Hi Chaps,

Hi Geoff

You have that right! I am still toying with the idea of backlighting the layout

Really looking forward to your new pics

Cheers

Jim

Interesting Jim, knowing you we should see some interesting shots., thought pic. of the week showing New St. was brilliant.

I tried capturing a natural sunrise on Penhydd earlier this year as when it rises and shines it casts a fantastic effect over the layout. I couldn't quite capture the scene with my camera though, mind you I didn't get many chances with our weather this year !

Anyway moving on, some rather nice comments have been made about the layouts atmosphere........thank you. Those who have followed Penhydd on my blog or the old RMweb will be aware that the whole idea behind the layout was to capture the feel of the rural branchline as I experienced it in the fifties and sixties.

This whole thread kicked off with the arrival of an early evening passenger train and I will pick up the story from there.

post-93-034082400 1289837088_thumb.jpg

Having passed the small goods yard 4560 rumbles over the bridge and into the platform.

post-93-028775200 1289837216_thumb.jpg

Once uncoupled she runs into the loop prior to backing into the cattle dock to collect one solitary milk tank. The tank is a modified Dapol model and is heavily weathered, the real things were filthy.

post-93-033837900 1289838136_thumb.jpg

With the tank coupled upto the train 4560 gets the right away...................

post-93-085889100 1289838356_thumb.jpg

................next stop Presteign and then all stations to Leominster.

post-93-091585900 1289838324_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 11

Once uncoupled she runs into the loop prior to backing into the cattle dock to collect one solitary milk tank. The tank is a modified Dapol model and is heavily weathered, the real things were filthy.

post-93-033837900 1289838136_thumb.jpg

Geoff, I dont say this lightly but that milk tanker is probably one of the most convincingly weathered freight vehicles I've ever seen - it certainly belies its origins and proves that overall appearance and colouration are just as (or more) important than absolute fidelity to prototype

Hi Sparky

Have to concur with all the other respondents: fantastic layout and full of atmosphere. Back scene really effective. Did you trace the outline of a photograph and then paint with watercolours/oils/emulsions? I must say, personally, I prefer painted backscenes to the new panoramic photo variety. Perhaps I'm just a traditionalist? ;)

Regards,

Jonte

Hi Chaps,

Hi

Good to see you back one here, more photo please .

Darren01

Thanks Darren,

I will slowly add more photos but am wary of duplicating those on my old blog

Geoff, I dont say this lightly but that milk tanker is probably one of the most convincingly weathered freight vehicles I've ever seen - it certainly belies its origins and proves that overall appearance and colouration are just as (or more) important than absolute fidelity to prototype

Thank you Ian that is praise indeed, but I have to say I had a pretty good mentor didn't I ? <_<

For those of you who haven't read Ian's weathering topic then do so, his methods really do work and with a little practice you will soon have some nicely weatherd stock

I think Dapol made a huge mistake with the 6 wheel tank because with a little more effort they could have produced a superb replica rather than the cross breed they have. As I write this another tank, this time a converted and I hope improved old Lima example is in the final stages of weathering.

The pic. below is another shot of the Dapol model in different surroundings.

post-93-060805700 1289924544_thumb.jpg

Hi Sparky

Have to concur with all the other respondents: fantastic layout and full of atmosphere. Back scene really effective. Did you trace the outline of a photograph and then paint with watercolours/oils/emulsions? I must say, personally, I prefer painted backscenes to the new panoramic photo variety. Perhaps I'm just a traditionalist? ;)

Regards,

Jonte

Jonte, Alan,

Thanks for your comments,

I expect you will be a little disappointed to learn that the backscene is German ! I got it from http://www.internati...ackscenes.html. Look at the one titled "The Valley " and it's extension piece. I cut most of the foreground away just leaving a low horizon and large expanse of sky. This gives a feeling of depth and certainly makes the layout look wider than it's 16" max width.

Don't rest on your laurels, mate, but it doesn't get much better than this, does it?

One thing I noticed about the PCB pointwork, is that I cannot see the gap in the copper surface. I presume you have gone to the small trouble of applying filler?

The impact of this is immense: although it will never look as good as chaired track, the thing that usually lets PCB track down is the gap left on the surface: another example of appearance and condition having a big impact on the final scene. Here the eye is not drawn to an easily rectifiable omission, because you have rectified it, and the missing chairs are not so obvious as the eye is elsewhere, focussed on the trains/backgroun, etc.

Hi Simon,

It certainly doesn't get any better, Ians comment has really made my day I can tell you. Don't worry though my feet are still on the ground and my hat still fits. <_<

Yes I did fill the PCB gaps, all it takes is a little Squadron Green and as you point out makes all the difference. I think the absence of chairs is more noticeable on the inside of the rails. When I started to build the pointwork for Penhydd it was a case of ply and rivet or PCB. The new systems by C & L and later Exactoscale were still to appear, if I was starting again then I would be tempted to try the new "Timber Tracks " products. PCB has however served me well, reliability being superb when operated with slow action Tortoise motors.

Paul,

Glad you found the tree thread of use and the photos inspiring.

Cheers,

Geoff

• Like 2

Hi Geoff

I must admit that I hadn't come across your layout before on the Forum and just wanted to say I think you have done a brilliant job in evoking that most elusive of things - atmosphere. Either it exists on a layout or it doesn't - no matter how good the modelling. I certainly agree with a previous comment as well about the superb realism on the weathering of the milk tanker - it's certainly how I remember them. Any info on how you achieved that would be very welcome. In the meanwhile I shall hide my tankers until I can arouse some confidence to have another crack!!

Really great Geoff & many congratulations and I look forward to any future photos you may post

All the best

exmoordave

Jonte, Alan,

Thanks for your comments,

I expect you will be a little disappointed to learn that the backscene is German ! I got it from http://www.internati...ackscenes.html. Look at the one titled "The Valley " and it's extension piece. I cut most of the foreground away just leaving a low horizon and large expanse of sky. This gives a feeling of depth and certainly makes the layout look wider than it's 16" max width.

Ingenious, Sparky, thanks.

Jonte :)

• RMweb Gold

Great work as ever, Geoff. This quote of yours:

Those who have followed Penhydd on my blog or the old RMweb will be aware that the whole idea behind the layout was to capture the feel of the rural branchline as I experienced it in the fifties and sixties.

rather sums up the reason behind the plaudits you are so richly deserving of - your memory has served you well, your recollection from your personal observations is plain to see, and the overall, consistently excellent effect is due in no small part to that first-hand experience that you bring to the picture. All that can be seen is plausible, nothing out of place, and no hint of any "model of a model" cliche - this is very definitely a model of a railway rather than a model railway.