Change here for Penhydd, Llangunllo & Bleddfa Road.

sparky

• RMweb Premium

AS KNP said, that is rather lovely. I'm a big fan of the quiet, rural look.

Is there an extension beyond the bridge in the last picture, or a clever bit of mirror usage?

I think it's a mirror. Whatever it is it's rather lovely.

Thanks for your kind comments chaps, all of which are very much appreciated. The idea of using a mirror is nothing new really, and is something that I came across many years ago in the Railway Modeller. John Dormon also used the same trick when modelling his 7mm scale roundhouse, which appeared in MRJ No.113.

Geoff

Only just come across this thread for some reason. An inspiring layout with so much attention to small details. 

Thanks Larry, the small details help make up for the lack of space, and track. 

I don't really spend a lot of time on the forum, and when I do update my thread my posts seem to disappear down the list quickly. That is why you probably haven't come across my thread before.

Geoff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The idea of using a mirror is nothing new really, and is something that I came across many years ago in the Railway Modeller. John Dormon also used the same trick when modelling his 7mm scale roundhouse, which appeared in MRJ No.113.

There you go again, recycling other people's ideas...

Be careful: attention to what other people have done, learning from it, and having a go yourself might catch on!

• 1 month later...

I had a little time to kill at Oxford railway station, popped into WHS and found this layout in MRJ 263.

WoW - Blown away - absolutely superb :good:

Many thanks Pete, in my day and age it was a pleasure to kill time at Oxford, how times change!

Since the article was prepared a little more progress has been made on the layout. Nothing major mind you, just the addition of a few of those smaller details that can make all the difference.

post-93-0-90758500-1527939722_thumb.jpg

Decent platform and yard lamps are sadly lacking in 4mm scale, these here are a mix of Gaugemaster posts, Langley lanterns and top castings. 

post-93-0-40081400-1527939983_thumb.jpg

For the past few weeks I've been busy refining some Ratio line side fencing, the old moulds must be worn out judging by the amount of flash that needs trimming away. Some of the trees have been upgraded, and more will follow in due course.

post-93-0-61574700-1527940328_thumb.jpg

GWR ground signals are available once again from MSE, so a couple of kits were purchased to replace the old Ratio offering . The castings are lovely, and the etched disc, and counter weights are crisply etched. I've also been installing some MSE signal wire posts, which are also very fine castings. 

What next, well the cottage and signal box roofs will be improved by replacing the current Wills slates with those from York Modelmaking. Once that job is completed I'll be turning my attention to the first of two planned diorama's.

Geoff

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Lovely views Geoff.

Much food for thought and totally agree regarding the small details. I am at the same point with my own layout.

A few well placed 'accessories' can really add to the overall picture.

Rob

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This may be of interest for those who don’t yet know about it:

https://luggvalleyrailway.wordpress.com

Thanks for the plug Mr D.

Over the past few weeks I've been putting the finishing touches to Llangunllo, whilst converting my old Class 121 Bubblecar into a Class 122, and planning my next two projects. If you thought Llangunllo was simple then you are in for a shock!

In the meantime this is how Llangunllo looks today............

post-93-0-45708100-1539595055_thumb.jpg

Both the signal box and cottage now have new slate roofs to bring them in line with the station building, once again I used York Modelmaking slates. 

post-93-0-26762000-1539595462_thumb.jpg

Signal wire posts have also been installed but still need more toning down. 

post-93-0-20024900-1539595521_thumb.jpg

Whilst the cottage was removed from the layout for work on its new roof I took this photo of the allotments huts, which were built and presented to me by Iain Robinson.

post-93-0-73800900-1539595761_thumb.jpg

One job that I had been dreading was adding the line side fencing, it took ages to clean up, and thin down the old Ratio mouldings.

post-93-0-61742100-1539595961_thumb.jpg

Well that more or less brings Llangunllo to a close, I still have a couple of small jobs to do and details to add, but I'm now focusing on Llanbister Road engine shed. Unlike Penhydd the layout isn't being dismantled but will live on, as I have no intention of building a replacement. The new projects that I mentioned being small diorama's that feature other scenes along the Lugg Valley line.

Geoff

• Like 18

Only just found your thread on here Geoff! Great to see Llangunllo again!

Always an inspiration!

Best wishes

Tom

Cheers Tom, the old layout surfaces from the depths of the forum every now and again :-)

Its good to see you actively modelling and posting more of Cym Prysor again. Its coming along superbly, and just goes to show how effective and satisfying small layouts can be.

Best Wishes,

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

I never tire of seeing this layout. Such an inspiration for my own more modest efforts.

Top drawer.

Rob.

Thanks to Steve, Dave, Rob for your kind words, and to everyone who ticked a like against my last post.

Rob said that he never tired of seeing the layout, so we'll see if he stills feel the same after viewing the following photos:-)

post-93-0-29459800-1539699166_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-71245100-1539699221_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-11500900-1539699301_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-41950800-1539699429_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-18477400-1539699832_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-54849900-1539700656_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-63008000-1539700471_thumb.jpg

I'll now disappear before I bore everyone to death.

Geoff

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, as you know I am a huge fan of Ben Ashworth and Geoff Bannister so many of my model photos are based upon their work.

Geoff

You are more than welcome, and yes I did know.

Of course, the colour ones are rubbish.

But you knew I would say that. ;)

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Geoff.

Great photos. Looking forward to you scaling a lineside tree for that classic B J Ashworth view of the Llangunllo goods.....

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Steve, Dave, Rob for your kind words, and to everyone who ticked a like against my last post.

Rob said that he never tired of seeing the layout, so we'll see if he stills feel the same after viewing the following photos:-)

Geoff

I would never get tired of seeing your pictures, Geoff. I haven't been clicking on Likes etc as I'm using the mobile version so please take this instead

[Like, very much] ;)