Change here for Penhydd, Llangunllo & Bleddfa Road.

sparky

• RMweb Gold

How nice to see images of this popping up on the forum.

Lovely work, Geoff.

I have to say your modelling has proved inspirational to me and will continue to do so.

Please keep the images coming.

Rob.

The latest release from Shawplan is a set of laserglaze for the old Lima GWR Railcar. I've had the privilege of trying it out and can tell you that its to the same high standard as other glazing packs in the range. I'm currently detailing another Railcar and this is how its looking to date...

post-93-0-01515300-1511462401.jpg

Full spec includes replacing the roof vents, and all the moulded handrails, those below the window have already been done. New large buffers, screw link couplings, pipework and missing lamp irons will complete the job.

post-93-0-61640200-1511462417.jpg

Brian tells me that he will have stocks of the glazing available at Warley should you be interested.

Geoff

Edited by sparky
  • Like 9

How nice to see images of this popping up on the forum.

Lovely work, Geoff.

I have to say your modelling has proved inspirational to me and will continue to do so.

Please keep the images coming.

Rob.

Thank you Rob, I'm pleased that my stuff inspires you.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For the past few weeks I've been fitting Laser Glazing to a Lima Railcar, at times its been a fiddly job. But that's not down to the product, which in my opinion is superb, each piece only needing a little cleaning up with wet and dry paper to achieve an excellent fit.

attachicon.gifP1150703.JPG

I also replaced the roof vents, and buffers with Comet (Wizard Models) castings, then parred away the moulded grab rails and fitted etched ones from the 'Frogmore' range.

attachicon.gifP1150710.JPG

I made my own vacumn and steam heating pipes from wire, along with the missing lamp irons, and fitted a pair of Masokits screwlink couplings to complete the drawbar detail. 

attachicon.gifP1150701.JPG

The chassis was converted to EM using Ultrascale drop in wheels many years ago, in keeping with my chosen 50's era the drive shafts to the outer wheels has been removed from each bogie.

Its been rather satisfying to take an old model and bring it up to standard, its very cost effective as well.

Geoff

The first picture just seems so... real

Thank you for your kind comments, likes and whatnot, sometimes I think the atmosphere of the 50's, and early 60's era is best captured in monochrome.

post-93-0-28372800-1513782506_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-66871800-1513782745_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-56050600-1513783188_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-10212300-1513783387_thumb.jpg

Anyway enough, have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Geoff

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to work out why I find your modelling so attractive. Apart from the fact that it is a beautiful piece of art, I think perhaps it is because it looks as though the slice of landscape you have created came first, and everything else including the railway came later having been built through the existing landscape. Which of course is what happened in reality. I think it is very impressive to have achieved that in such a small space.

Edited by Sandpiper

I've been trying to work out why I find your modelling so attractive. Apart from the fact that it is a beautiful piece of art, I think perhaps it is because it looks as though the slice of landscape you have created came first, and everything else including the railway came later having been built through the existing landscape. Which of course is what happened in reality. I think it is very impressive to have achieved that in such a small space.

Thank you,

I've always been a great believer in the Iain Rice approach to layout design, Iain considers all aspects of layout planning, not just the track plan. So following his advice I have always decided what features I would like to model, including the landscape, then planned the railway to suit. The open frame method of baseboard construction is used so the land can rise and fall naturally, in harmony with the backscene. 

Geoff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-93-0-60637700-1519060536_thumb.jpg

A little more progress, work continues on both dairy buildings which have now received rainwater goods, and in the case of the new building, roof slates are being added. The 16T mineral wagons on the left are Parkside kits in various stages of construction.

Geoff

• Like 11

That's a new viewpoint! Is this the 'scenic fiddle area' with extra sidings at the front?

The photo was indeed taken from the 'scenic fiddle yard' Rich. The siding on which the milk tanks stand has been inlaid with stone sets, the one behind is of plain PCB construction. 

Geoff

• Like 1

Geoff,

I'm contemplating a pair of scenic fiddle yards for my new home layout in P4. I would ideally need a removable section of track so that trains can be swapped over. Have you included this feature, and if so, how easy was it to 'hide the joins' within the scenery?

Keep up the good work - I've been inspired by the composition and quality of your layouts for some time!

Regards,

Geraint

Geoff,

I'm contemplating a pair of scenic fiddle yards for my new home layout in P4. I would ideally need a removable section of track so that trains can be swapped over. Have you included this feature, and if so, how easy was it to 'hide the joins' within the scenery?

Keep up the good work - I've been inspired by the composition and quality of your layouts for some time!

Regards,

Geraint

Hi Geraint,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I had intended to use a removable section of track, and also tried single cassettes, but I found it impossible to disguise their joints with the scenery when looking through the arch of the bridge. Had the layout been in an urban setting rather than rural, or the bridge been on a different angle, and just spanned one track then it might have been easier to achieve.

Space was a problem for me, ideally a longer run into a conventional fiddle yard would have been better. As it could have resembled some exchange sidings with an engine release etc, etc

However given my limited operational needs, and the short trains that I favour, I find my simple fiddle yard works well.

I hope you can come up with a workable solution for your own scenic fiddle yard.

Geoff

• Like 2

• 1 month later...