Buxton Articles

0O00

Hello

I'm looking to do some research on the Buxton area (not sure if it will be for a layout idea) and was wondering if anyone knew of any articles that have been prepared in magazines (or even books) that cover the subject.

My main timeframe of interest is 1980's.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Either PM or add to the thread - I don't mind which!

Many thanks

Alex

I know of three articles on Buxton-

Model Railway Constructor October 1985

Railway Modeller April 1986

Rail Enthusiast -the pages I have for this don't have a date on, but it's in a Model Rail Extra. From the text I'd say it was the 1980's as well.

The MRC article has a plan of just the station and depot area. RM has the signal box diagram for Buxton in 1980, and a suggested layout plan including the station, depot and branch lines to Hindlow and Great Rocks. Fits in an L shaped space 10ft x 7ft. Rail Enthusiast has a sketch plan of the same area as the RM layout suggestion. All three have photos of the prototype, but the ones in MRC are the most useful.

The book 'BR Diesels on Depot', by Nicholas and Montgomery [ian Allen 1984] has one photo, showing a Class 45 on the fuelling point. 'Diesels and Electrics On Shed' by Rex Kennedy {OPC 1979] has two photos of the depot, one of the interior and one of the exterior.

Hope this helps

Rob

Thanks Rob, much appreciated.

I've found some good snaps on Fotopic and vids on youtube but was looking for more to read, so thanks for the indicators as to where to look.

Cheers

Alex

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I'm looking to do some research on the Buxton area (not sure if it will be for a layout idea) and was wondering if anyone knew of any articles that have been prepared in magazines (or even books) that cover the subject.

My main timeframe of interest is 1980's.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Either PM or add to the thread - I don't mind which!

Many thanks

Alex

MRJ No. 65 has a Barry Norman "Layout Design" featuring the Midland side of Buxton. A bit out of your time, but may be of use to you.

Kevin Martin

Archived