Trying to repair Fleischmann German 2-8-2

mossdp

I was trying to repair a Fleischmann 2-8-2 loco (German cass 41?) that would not work although the lights do. The motor runs fine when current applied directly to it, but pickup from one side does not get through to the motor although all wiring looks intact with the loco and tender bodies off and also looking underneath the motor at the wiring soldered there everything seems OK. The loco is tender drive.

There seems to be some sort of plunger on the underside of the loco - were these models also for running on three rail track as I can see no reason for it otherwise? There are pickups on both sides of the loco driving wheels and on some of the tender wheels so I presume it is really meant to be two-rail or is there some switch over? I am not sure when it was made, but it looks modern. A small bit of printed circuit board inside is stamped 42/99 - I wondered if that meant week 42 1999. It is definetely Flesichmann and not a Markin three-rail locomotive.

I had initially thought that the model must be wired for some sort of DCC control as there are four wires going from the loco to the tender,but there is no sign of a chip, just what seems to be a black plug that you must undo to disconnect the wires form loco to tender. The wires seem to be for the lights and to transfer power from the locomtoive to the tender.

Does anyone know how to get access to the loco driving wheels, I can see the wires for the wheel pickups pass along the frames, but I am not sure how to take the rest of it apart so as to inspect the joins between the pickups and the wires? The model is rather delicate and there seems to be a very fine keeper plate, but even with front bogie and pony trucks taken off the keeper plate does not come off. Pickups are clean and making good contact with the wheels.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Damian M.

• RMweb Gold

........It's not a BR41 though, Fleischmann never made that (but Roco did, I have one of those)........

The Fleischmann website shows 4 versions of the BR41 in the current range, there are also several versions of the BR39 2-8-2. According to this site the current version has been in production since 1998, I think there may also have been one made in the 1960's! The manual sheets can be found on this site, the sheets for the BR41 are 4130, 4131,4132 and 4133.

Regards

Archived