Making station nameplates

Thanks Olddddders I will look at that website but I suspect they do not offer LNER type lettering and signs. The station names were usually raised lettering for the pre and post second world war signs. Colours non existent using black and white. It is trying to achieve the raised print that is my problem. Well for the time being anyway.

......... It is trying to achieve the raised print that is my problem. .....

Can I just check what you are trying to do - is it a LNER Station name lettering font to enable you to prepare a drawing for etched station name boards, because I can't see how three dimensional printing can be achieved within a domestic situation (presumably in the fantastic world we live in now, there is some commercial way!).

I suppose the letters could be laser cut out of thin card/thick paper and applied to a background, once you've found the font.

OK you may be able to intimate some shadow below and to one side, but I can't see how you could build up enough layers of ink to create true raised lettering.

Hi,

Would it not be possible to emboss the letters after the name has been printed?

You can buy personalised address embossing stamps for pressing in your address on the back of envelopes - possibly something on these lines could work?

There is 3 D photocopying machines available, but this is a commercial process and if you could find someone with the kit I would imagine it's cost to be huge.

John

Thanks Penian. I beleive you are right. I just hoped someone had a solution.

It sounds like a custom etch job to me – fully etched letters stuck onto whatever you use for the nameboard – presuming there are no suitable plastic alphabets available.

What part of the LNER are you modelling? The NER normally used enamel for their station nameboards as did the other constituents on occasion (white on dark blue was popular). Something like that you could do on your computer...

Richard

Richard My current layout is generically North Eastern with a heavy tilt towards the LNER. I would like the station name plates to reflect this with the correct font and being black on white. I am coming to the conclusion that I would best do it myself on the computer, and not worry too much about the raised print. I have tried paper mache but the smallness of the letters mean I make an unacceptable mess. I will look at the brass etched plates with interest, Thank you for your help. Skeeby

Archived