Dodgy running Bachmann 08

nse47

Hi Everyone, hopefully someone can help me with a little problem.

I have a Bachmann 08 shunter which has been running superbly under DC power. Last week I took the plunge and fitted it with a Hornby chip. Now it will only move about half a centimetre and then cuts out, give it a nudge and another half cm and cuts out and so on. At first I thought it might be an iffy bit on test track so have also tried it on the main layout and still get the same problem. I've checked the wheels and they are clean and I tested on a clean bit of track.

Does any one have any suggestions?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Everyone, hopefully someone can help me with a little problem.

I have a Bachmann 08 shunter which has been running superbly under DC power. Last week I took the plunge and fitted it with a Hornby chip. Now it will only move about half a centimetre and then cuts out, give it a nudge and another half cm and cuts out and so on. At first I thought it might be an iffy bit on test track so have also tried it on the main layout and still get the same problem. I've checked the wheels and they are clean and I tested on a clean bit of track.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Are the 'pick-ups' clean? Some of the older models had plunger picks which need fairly regular cleaning.

Sounds quite typical to me!

Clean all the track with either a high quality track rubber (Helmsman!) or CMX car or lint free cloth with meths/IPA on it.

Strip the loco chassis down, clean wheels & pick-ups with the likes of a cotton bub, again with meths/IPA - re-assemble!

What looks like clean track for Analogue DC may actually be quite mucky for Digital DCC - try running a DCC Sound class 08 next and you'll see what I mean!!!!:lol: :lol:

Once you get everything properly clean, your running should be excellent!

Cheers,

John E.

I fitted mine with a Captain Kernow inspired additional pickups and have not had any problems even on slightly grubby track.

Essentially fit two pieces of copper clad (under loco - one for each side of loco) parallel to the track solder onto each pickups to run on the wheel backs and also a feed wire to connect to the other feeds. Hey presto vastly improved running.

I also fitted an available Hornby chip (because it was a Bank Holiday Weekend and no shops open) with poor results, stuttering, stopping without reason etc. I replaced it with a Bachmann decoder with back emf, and the difference was amazing. Mind you, the space at the front of the Bach 08 is pretty tight and it took me an hour to get the body back on.

Must admit that when I did mine I used the Electricnose method (after removing board by radiator) and fitted it with a Lenz Silver. The other year I set it running on the small Inglenook and it takes a few minutes to cover 2' on notch 1 of 128! Good chip, good pickups and it's really enjoyable to shunt with.

• RMweb Premium

Agree with all that's been said so far, the Bachmann pick-ups rest on top of the wheels and collect crud and fluff as I found out when my two 08s ran badly. Also the Hornby chip has quite a low current limit so the fact it starts and then stops could be the cut out working, I've had this happen with several locos and I have swapped nearly all my Hornby chips for Bachmann ones now with no more problems. I also fitted extra pickups to both mine as shown below and they now run perfectly fitted with the Bachmann chip (36-553). As mentioned above the best way to get it to fit is to remove the pcb behind the radiator and cut off the two mounting points which then creates more than enough room for the chip once it's hardwired in.

post-6922-032878700 1289810506_thumb.jpg

HTH

Not found the need to add extra pickups to my 08's which I run on my exhibition layout. You do need to clean the wheels at the end of each running day (IPA with a cotton bud) then off you go again.

As I have fitted Express Models lighting kits to my 08's I am running Lenz gold mini's in the loco's which have been remapped to allow independant control of all the lights and the performance is stunning. Speed step 1 of 128 you are looking at milimetres per minute which is always a major talking point amongst people who stop for a chat at shows.

I have a Bachy 08 that doesn't much like my insulfrog points and mine too runs better when scrupulously clean. However, I tried running it today on 28 speed steps instead of 128 and I think it is better. It still creeps imperceptibly on speed step 1 but does not need so much "winding up" to go faster. With such a low top speed I think perhaps 128 speed steps is too many.

Harold.

Also the Hornby chip has quite a low current limit so the fact it starts and then stops could be the cut out working.

On a Bachmann 08? No way! Not a thirsty motor at all. Unless it has been tightly bound in tape!

I will also swap the chip for a Bachmann one in the near future.

Why? Hornby chips get slagged off something rotten on here because their original ones (which have since been deleted) have tarnished their name.

Their current budget ones work exactly as they are supposed to. Sure, they may lack some features which can come in useful for some locos. Shunt mode is one such feature which could be a useful one for a shunter! As mentioned earlier, they are unsuitable for current-hungry locos but are fine with most.

You don't see the same comments about Bachmann ones. I have 2 & they both ignore CV3 (acceleration) but CV4 is another matter? I mentioned it on here & effectively got sneered at. The problem definitely exists on my layout & for me, this makes them unusable in a loco. Ok in my DVT's but I'll steer well clear of buying any more.

• 4 years later...

Just to resurrect this topic, Temeraire, love the idea of vero board under your 08's what did you use for the actual pickups?

I've got a 4yr old Bachmann that's not running too well, in spite of a Zimo 648 WITH a Zimo SC68 and I suspect pickups are to blame, I rather like your idea, and the more pickups the merrier ?

- I have used guitar strings in the past but not quite as successful as yours look!

Regards,

Alan

Archived