kevpeo

Welcome to Loch Dour -

post-8271-0-10755800-1358101587_thumb.jpg

Its a bit on the late side to start a layout topic I suppose, seeing as its already finished! But due to my incompetence, the layouts getting a big saw through it on its return from Workington show this weekend. This is because the two end baseboards (one is pictured, the other is a mirror image) are too big to get down the loft stairs while boxed together. Sooner or later damage will ensue ( not this weekend I hope!) When built they were originally 5ft x 4ft, they have already been cut down once to 4ft x 3ft!

post-8271-009377600 1289836575_thumb.jpg

Everything below the bottom red mark will be removed and replaced with two new 3'6'' x 2'6'' L-shaped boards so as to keep the access holes for use when erected in the loft. This will also make these boards 6'' wider than the rest of the layout allowing a kick-back siding at each end of the layout for the snowploughs to run to & fro from. It also allows for a doubling in size of the fiddle yard in future if I feel so inclined!

post-8271-010524400 1289836678_thumb.jpg

So if you want to see Loch Dour at its only away show in its original form head to North Cumbria! kev.

ps. There's more pictures at http://lochdour.webs.com/

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 3

Hi Kev,

Great to see your layout finally appear on here! I really enjoyed seeing it in operation at Barrow show and I am glad that you are only chopping it up to make it easier for use as I did think it sounded drastic when you told me but the option of doubling the storage roads could be good - just think of all those additional trains you could run and with all those sound fitted machines you have! If you ever want to run the EWS period let me know and I can bring some stock off Rannoch! Hope you don't mind the photos I took (could have been worst if I hadn't made the show it would be my mums dodgy efforts!)

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-045242700 1289953765_thumb.jpg

post-6863-051727900 1289953827_thumb.jpg

post-6863-037394300 1289953864_thumb.jpg

post-6863-080654400 1289953883_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

''just think of all those additional trains you could run and with all those sound fitted machines you have!''

Aggh, Think of the cost though! :blink:

''If you ever want to run the EWS period let me know and I can bring some stock off Rannoch!''

Hell may have to freeze over! :lol:

''Hope you don't mind the photos I took (could have been worst if I hadn't made the show it would be my mums dodgy efforts!)''

Cheers for the photos Mark. You never got me so thats good! kev.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I lost my nerve and haven't used the saw yet! Instead I built the two new baseboards -

post-8271-023999300 1290941210_thumb.jpg

They still need cleaning up and painting yet before fitting the pattern makers dowels I use for alignment. While I've had a few mins since Workington I've been removing the electrics from under the two bits of baseboard waiting for the chop, just the track and Velcro to remove now.

Here's a view along the length of the layout taken at Workington to give an idea of size -

post-8271-009376900 1290941286_thumb.jpg

On the subject of Workington I had a nice chat with the Digi-Trains programmer who was on the L&YDcc Group's layout next to me, handy that! Thus giving me chance to listen to some of the programs. A very promising alternative to Loksounds they sounded too. Imagine my surprise then when he presented me with a disc containing four of his Loksound programs to have a 'play' with, two x 20 and two x 37! I must have a very trustworthy/fat (delete as appropriate!) face. I wont mention his name here, those who know who it is will know why! But a big thanks from me again. Mind you he may not like my 'tweaks' when he gets them back! Kev.

Website - Http://lochdour.webs.com/

• Like 5

Hi Kev,

Thats quick progress with your new boards and very solid looking compared to my lightweight ones that Rannoch sits on. I might need to have a listen to these new 37's once you have tweaked them as I still have a few more that need chipped and would add some variety to my fleet as I have another 2 37/4's to do at some point. Have you had any more snow in Barrow?

Thanks

Mark

Hello again all. I finally plucked up some courage, and picked up the saw! -

post-8271-013517600 1291657194_thumb.jpg

Once cleaned up the replacement, now painted board was put alongside -

post-8271-072976100 1291657263_thumb.jpg

That was Saturdays session spent chopping and cleaning up both ends and fitting new leg pockets to replace the ones chopped off! Sundays (very hung-over!) session involved fitting the Pattern-makers dowels -

post-8271-077116200 1291657297_thumb.jpg

Not a good job with a sore head and a blunt drill! This allowed the first assembly of a remodeled end -

post-8271-093152200 1291657323_thumb.jpg

You can see the extra space for the turnback siding (poss fiddle extension!) to the right. Now just gotta dowel the other end so I can get on with tracklaying. I've lost a bit of ground cover which will need patching up when I've finished banging about but so far no sheep! Kev.

• Like 2

Hi Kev,

That new board looks really well made - those alignment dowels look very useful, can you let me know who does those as they would be much better than the bolts I currently use on my boards? As for all that extra space at the ends ideal for the multiple units, snow ploughs and additonal locos - just think of all those extra services you can now run!

Thanks,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi Kev,

That new board looks really well made - those alignment dowels look very useful, can you let me know who does those as they would be much better than the bolts I currently use on my boards? As for all that extra space at the ends ideal for the multiple units, snow ploughs and additonal locos - just think of all those extra services you can now run!

Thanks,

Mark

Cheers Mark. The snowploughs and 101 will be the main users of the sidings, although I do have a hankering for the Mexican Bean 104 unit! As for the dowels we got a bulk lot from 'Burns & Co' at Wolverhampton I think. Much cheaper than sold at shows. Mind you I've run out now! Kev.

After having a skive off yesterday to travel to Wigan show to finally see Airthrey Park and Wibdenshaw (both seemingly much smaller ''in the flesh'' so to speak than I expected from photo's! Both very nice layouts though). Good show as always too. I thought I better push on with the track laying today and this is progress so far -

post-8271-080925800 1292177274_thumb.jpg

The curves have come out a bit tighter than I expected, down to 18inch radius in places but should be ok. I hope! This is why my loco's have the ploughs on the bogies when there's a coupling in use and not on the body where they should be. Things didn't go so well at the other end and much cursing was involved, good job the family was out! Wiring next. Kev.

• Like 1

The other end board is now wired up -

post-8271-033999800 1292700743_thumb.jpg

Just needed the inter-board 2-pin socket adding when this picture was taken. For a change I decided to go with Traintronics point motors (with built in decoders) instead of Tortoises as on the scenic boards (although I do have one Fulgurex, but I wouldn't have another!). The Traintronics ones are nicer to connect up and quieter than the Tortoises but do move across faster. Also only has one full Aux output, as against two for a Tortoise (the other is a power output to LED indicators). As you can see, no prizes for neatness, but dead simple with only three colours of wire. Blue and Black for the DCC supply and Green for the frog feed.

And heres 37 412's chassis again testing out the fully erected layout -

post-8271-074092200 1292700810_thumb.jpg

Its going to take some getting used to as only one point/signal has the same address as before, due to the two added points. Still I'm looking forward to a good ''thrash'' after I clean the track and give the layout a good 'oover! Kev.

• Like 1

Not a good job with a sore head and a blunt drill! This allowed the first assembly of a remodeled end -

Just caught up with this thread. i dont know why you would have a bad head, you only came out about 18;00 hours. Then had to be taken home by two young ladies at about 00;15. Not like R1(k and me going home in a Jo Baxie.

All the best to you and the family

OzzyO.

• Funny 1

At least I made it to the 'bitter' end! Currently having a brew and trying to stay out of the way of Zhu-Zhu pets! Those 20's you milled out for me are well on the way now. The'll be 'whistling' by new year! Merry Christmas all, kev.

While digesting turkey I've been pondering buffer stops! No problem with the usual buffer fitted stock as can be seen in this photo -

post-8271-0-33517000-1293464843_thumb.jpg

But when it comes to snowploughs this happens -

post-8271-0-26664000-1293464788_thumb.jpg

As you can see the buffer 'blocks' have been rebated to allow polystyrene to be fitted to the lower half to allow for the occasional 'rough shunt'. Time for a quick coat of matching paint and finished.

Happy new year all, kev.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now the rebuild is mainly done, (just the slight scenic damage to make good when it gets a bit warmer!) Its time to get back to stock building and programing. First up, newly completed 37 412 has had its paintwork finished off with a coat of ''West Highland grime'' courtesy of my new compressor. Well, OzzyO's cast off!-

post-8271-0-61940400-1295102689_thumb.jpg

Fitted with Bachmann 47 ploughs, an ESU soundchip and a bass-reflex in the tanks, its got a much modified T M program on board. T M's original was a work of art compared to my efforts but I just couldn't get it to work on Loch Dour! Now much simplified and amplified it gives the Howes refurb 37's a run for their money in the ''thrash'' department. 37 178 behind it has a slightly less aggressive (when I want it to be!) but just as loud ''freight'' version. Both will be making a racket as they power up the 1 in 30 gradient through Glen Douglas though. Look out for ''Reggie Rail'' 37 429 on Coppell, as it will have the ''full fat'' version of the modified program when running at Stafford show. Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Kev,

Only just found this layout / thread.

Whilst my main interest lies in BR blue china clay, I do also have a soft spot for Scottish layouts and for me you have really captured the area/eras.

Its nice to see on the vids how the trains disappear and can be glimpsed through the trees in places.

With a nicely detailed fleet of rolling stock, its the sort of layout I would stumble on at a show and then happily stand in front of all day!

Look forward to see some more shots...the BR blue sulzer type 2's and LL 37's are very compelling :D

Pete

• Thanks 1