Coldstream (ex-NER, P4, c.1950): space & time?

Tim Lewis

Tim, 

Just discovered your thread for the first time and have just spent an enjoyable time reading though what you have been doing. What a lovely layout you are developing and what a fantastic space you have to work in too. It's obviously going to be a long term project but you're doing fantastic work and I am highly impressed by the level of skill and craftsmanship that you are showing. The trackwork looks superb. It must be a huge milestone and very satisfying, not to say extremely useful, to get that complete circuit laid.

I have always loved the Tweed Valley line, it was such an interesting route, as a real notherly outpost of the NER. I particularly like the photographs of the line at the death - there are some great shots around of a BR Standard loco with often a single coach for accompaniment. It was a fascinating line and all the better for being a bit different to other routes in Northumberland. 

I will be following with interest from now on, so really look forward to reading of your progress. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work. 

David 

Edited by south_tyne
Added some stuff....
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

So, not posted anything on here for quite some time, but things have been happening (slowly).  Haven't done much on the trackwork recently, but some time ago I did the main crossover between up and down lines - here's an aerial view showing it:

DSC_4336_25pc.JPG.7478dc227f9420cf53ba3e167588cd6a.JPG

Since that picture was taken I've connected the down headshunt (the long siding on the left, though (temporarily) I haven't done the other two roads that lead off that towards the turntable and the coal drops) and a bit of the up yard road leading to the end loading dock, but I don't seem to have a picture to hand.

More recently, I've mocked up the platforms from card:

DSC_4541_25pc.JPG.1a2d262711a2fd07b4bb6b67b864d164.JPG

DSC_4540_25pc.JPG.2d871918d672c229024f7a5f7af8be0d.JPG

It's surprising how a few bits of cardboard can make such a difference to the look of it - starting to "feel" like a real place now somehow.

I've also started work on the first building - these are the component parts of what will be one of the blocks of station cottages.  Obviously some way to go!

DSC_4543_25pc.JPG.2fd0867363b52b5de087b7e021674d94.JPG

That's all for now.  Really should get back to the trackwork, but I keep getting distracted by other aspects!

Edited by Tim Lewis
Re-instate pictures
  • Like 18

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Like south_tyne above, I have just discovered this thread ..... though over 2 years later!  I've never heard of anyone modelling Coldstream before, so I shall follow this with interest.

i only know Coldstream from photos - was so disappointed to go to the site and discover there's nothing left of the station.  Photos show a rather delightful station and all the appurtences - footbridge, substantial signal box and even ex-LNER G5 locomotive 67303 0-4-4T of Tweedmouth Shed.  I'm awaiting TMC's forthcoming G5 with much anticipation!

All the best!

John S

On 18/06/2021 at 23:06, it's-er said:

Like south_tyne above, I have just discovered this thread ..... though over 2 years later!  I've never heard of anyone modelling Coldstream before, so I shall follow this with interest.

i only know Coldstream from photos - was so disappointed to go to the site and discover there's nothing left of the station.  Photos show a rather delightful station and all the appurtences - footbridge, substantial signal box and even ex-LNER G5 locomotive 67303 0-4-4T of Tweedmouth Shed.  I'm awaiting TMC's forthcoming G5 with much anticipation!

All the best!

John S

Thanks John.  I first got interested in Coldstream from the pictures of the station building in the book "Border Country Branch Line Album", and I too was very disappointed to find that the main building had been demolished.  All that's left now are the two blocks of station cottages and one of the bridge abutments.  Until fairly recently, the octagonal auction mart was still there, but was also demolished (in the early 2010s I think) - I was surprised at this as I thought it was a listed building.

I will probably get one of the TMC/Bachmann G5s when they come out, as they were quite common on the Tweed Valley line, but I need to finish my London Road Models one first (see workbench thread).  This will eventually be finished as E7304, and if I get another it will either be 67303 or 67248.

Cheers for now.

• Like 2