Coldstream (ex-NER, P4, c.1950): space & time?

Tim Lewis

Now that really does look like a railway room!

Don't know how I've missed this thread, the Tweed Valley route has long been a favourite topic of mine since Ian Futers wrote about it, along with the Wansbeck Valley, Border Counties, Rothbury and Alnwick-Wooler routes, in RM in the late 70s

Hi Tim

Great to see you finally able to make some progress with time and space to get on. No excuses.........

My Spittal and Tweed Dock EM layout is developing just a couple of miles along the road from Coldstream in a 40ft workshop in Wark. Any time you're up here doing research pop in for a chat.

Regards

Ian

Lovely track work. Glad you have a new home for it. Looking forward to seeing things progress as I'm just about to start laying track on my own or layout now that I have finally finished the templot planning, which I expect to be slow going!

Still not decided myself what glue/ballast methods to go with, leaning towards pva as I have a lot of the stuff already, though I'm using balsa wood as a track base instead of foam or cork.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"Take me to the bridge" as James Brown was fond of saying!

A bit more progress.  I've made a bridge deck for the 'gap' at the Kelso end of the station that also copes with the different alignments of the scenic and fiddle yard boards (there's one sleeper missing at the board join).  This is fine for current purposes but will probably end up getting replaced at some point.

post-7001-0-37093300-1520008021_thumb.jpg

I've also completed laying the down line throughout the scenic section (with the exception of the curved switch blades for the turnouts):

post-7001-0-01390700-1520008124_thumb.jpg

With some wiring lash-up under the boards, this allowed me to run a train from here (note subtle product placement!):

post-7001-0-91347100-1520008208_thumb.jpg

all the way to the bridge:

post-7001-0-48288700-1520008261_thumb.jpg

post-7001-0-47557600-1520008281_thumb.jpg

This was a bit of a milestone, and I ended up running it backwards and forwards about 20 times!  I took a video (not of all 20 trips), but I don't know how to upload it.

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good Tim!  When shall I tell Terry to book you for?#

The easy way is to upload it to YouTube and then paste the link into the post.

Right.  I don't know whether this is going to work or not, as I'm new to this YouTube lark.

Hopefully this will link to a video:

Not the most exciting video, but it does prove a point!  Apologies for the dodgy camera work and the focus issues: still figuring out how best to take video on my DSLR.

Cheers for now.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Another milestone reached!! A couple of weeks ago, several friends came round to help "Bridge the Gap" at the rear of the layout, and make a continuous loop (still just one track only).

Here's the D11 doing it's thing with a train of 4 Gresley non-corridor coaches:

Been watching the trains go round ever since! - must get back to some modelling!

• Like 14

Tim, I guess you will either speed up or slow down! No doubt you are keen to get another loop down so you can have 2 trains running around! The D11 does look very nice running. I guess these are straight swaps for the OO wheels to P4?

The J39.... well I think it is.... ran very nicely too!

Hi Tim, yes it feels great to hit a milestone doesn't it. A full circuit well done, I remember getting 'the full circuit' on Wharfeside and it fair cheers you up.

Last time we spoke we talked about the ballast dilemma, I've nearly finished the ballasting on Wharfeside and it's had a few nice comments which makes the effort to get it right worthwhile.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Tim, I guess you will either speed up or slow down! No doubt you are keen to get another loop down so you can have 2 trains running around! The D11 does look very nice running. I guess these are straight swaps for the OO wheels to P4?

The J39.... well I think it is.... ran very nicely too!

Yes, the D11 is a straight Gibson conversion, and with no outside cylinders or valve gear to worry about it was pretty straightforward.  You're right about the other loco: it's a Bachmann J39 body on a Bradwell chassis.  Some more details on both on my workbench if interested.

Re carrs ash ballast, I have used it but did crush it in an old pestle and mortar before use it looked OK and I used PVA and dropper method with no bits floating off.

The layout will look great when finished. I will follow with interest.

All the best

Steve

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if you do Facebook, however there are some excellent groups which have some great images of Coldstream -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688559298104109/?ref=group_browse_new - Alnwick and Cornhill Railway

https://www.facebook.com/groups/downtheline/?ref=group_browse_new The Waverley Route and branches and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110241279016234/?ref=group_browse_new Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders

Look forward to seeing more progress on your layout soon.

I'm not sure if you do Facebook, however there are some excellent groups which have some great images of Coldstream -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688559298104109/?ref=group_browse_new - Alnwick and Cornhill Railway

https://www.facebook.com/groups/downtheline/?ref=group_browse_new The Waverley Route and branches and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110241279016234/?ref=group_browse_new Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders

Look forward to seeing more progress on your layout soon.

Thanks for that.  I don't "do" Facebook, as I think it would be another distraction I could do without.  I have been aware of the Berwick and Eastern Borders group for a while (some of the photos on the disused station website are sourced from there), but I've not heard of the other two.  Perhaps I should bite the bullet and join (it seems that it's not possible to see the photos without joining).

There wasn't much progress on the layout last summer and early Autumn whilst I considered wiring and control options.  Recommenced doing a bit of trackwork before Xmas, and am hopefully going to make considerable progress in the next couple of months.  There is a little bit of progress to show (most of the up line is now laid but not yet fully operational), but I don't have any photos at the moment - maybe next week.

• Like 2