Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

• RMweb Premium

To do the Class 350/4 properly would require another new PTS car to be tooled - the sub-class has got an extra toilet so there's another window missing on this vehicle.

Do we really need that though, would people be overly concerned if re liveried without the re tool. I'm thinking Bachmann 108 masquerading as a Strathclyde 107 as a precedent . It was a sell out and you can see many of them on model railway layouts in central Scotland. If we could live with that can't we live with a 350/1 as a 350/4?

• RMweb Premium

Yes. Some would be 'overly concerned' by it being wrong. It'll always be the case the different levels of compromise will be acceptable to different people. Should they paint one white, stick a 5th coach in and call it a 444?

• RMweb Premium

Yes. Some would be 'overly concerned' by it being wrong. It'll always be the case the different levels of compromise will be acceptable to different people. Should they paint one white, stick a 5th coach in and call it a 444?

I take it you're being ironic? That's a bit different isn't it. They have their doors in different positions , it's not just an extra toilet window in the PTSO. So clearly there is a much bigger difference

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

It's an exaggerated example because some will shun a model because the window arrangement is wrong whilst some, and I guarantee there are some, would buy a 5-car 450 painted as a 444.

Do we really need that though, would people be overly concerned if re liveried without the re tool. I'm thinking Bachmann 108 masquerading as a Strathclyde 107 as a precedent . It was a sell out and you can see many of them on model railway layouts in central Scotland. If we could live with that can't we live with a 350/1 as a 350/4?

I cant help thinking if we continually demand 100% accuracy then we simply wont see models of these kind of things being produced. A sub-class of 10 requiring a new coach tooling - if they struggle to sell the 350/1s and 350/2s then I cant see those selling any better and the price would be high.

• RMweb Premium

Again, I just think that whole thing is a minefield. Look at the frothing on here about things which some would see as utterly trivial.

We do see some examples of this - N gauge Dapol mk3s with one buffet configuration for all liveries, and roof vents the same between loco-hauled and HST stock.

It would definitely have to be delicately played, and there would always be a minority who would still moan!

I picked up a 350 and a pack of Electra overlays to do a Transpenine express 350/4, whilst may be not 100% accurate it's an affordable way to create something a little different. And like others you won't see them this cheap again.

Mark

I picked up a 350 and a pack of Electra overlays to do a Transpenine express 350/4, whilst may be not 100% accurate it's an affordable way to create something a little different. And like others you won't see them this cheap again.

Mark

I'd be interested to see the results of this if you could share any photographs once completed?

• RMweb Premium

This is why I think we need to consider what is an acceptable compromise. Some people will insist that each release incorporates all of the version specific details, if that is the standard then we are unlikely to see that many modern EMU releases. There is a balance I think. And some people are very happy to accept a compromise, if we look at the blue/grey Gresley buffet coach released by Hornby a few years ago we all knew it was wrong but also knew that if we really wanted a blue/grey version we were unlikely to get a truly accurate RTR version as it was unlikely to be viable to produce and as a result many modellers accepted the compromise. The American manufacturers do road specific details on locomotives nowadays but people seem willing to spend more on locomotives and the US roads have a significant market which seems more able to support producing a range of different versions of the same basic type.

it is for that reason that I think we'll be heading for more things only produced for pre-orders or more firmer ordering commitments.

some manufacturers wouldn't be able to do that just now with the number of basic livery errors they make.

Kernow reporting in their newsletter, with regard to the upcoming Bachmann SWT 450:

Pre-orders from Bachmann are high with them looking very close to selling out before they arrive!

Thus if you have not ordered yours, I would! Great news these have been a strong seller, hopefully shall give Bachmann the confidence in more modern MUs - 185 or Electrostar anyone?

Good review photos in Rail Express Modeller in Smiths if anyone wants to see the pristine finish. 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

Anyone read the review in this weeks Model Rail mag yet. Apparently some subscribers have already received their's. What's the verdict?

Seems to be very positive, Brings up some issues that Bachmann are know for such as the motorblock being visual in the motorcoach, detailing is great, especially around the Pantograph Well. Although apparntly some paint creep due to the complex masking that is / was needed. 

Overall scored 92%

The images of it look fantastic, wouldn't mind one myself. But would rather get a 350 again (After mine, i got at release, never worked on DCC) or other Units etc.

Chris

Seems to be very positive, Brings up some issues that Bachmann are know for such as the motorblock being visual in the motorcoach, detailing is great, especially around the Pantograph Well. Although apparntly some paint creep due to the complex masking that is / was needed. 

Overall scored 92%

The images of it look fantastic, wouldn't mind one myself. But would rather get a 350 again (After mine, i got at release, never worked on DCC) or other Units etc.

Chris

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-350-2-desiro-london-midland-livery-4-car-emu-350-238-31-031-Bachmann-JJJA15422.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Hi

They could always modify whats available to get what they want.

Cheers

Paul

Surely that would involve the taboo subject of "modelling"....?

Heaven forbid, whatever next?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Class 450 is in stock at Kernow :D Cannot wait to receive mine! Remember reportedly sold out at Bachmann in a recent Kernow MRC newsletter.

Hopefully a second run in the new year announcements, along with one in First MTR livery to be launched in a matter of weeks.

• Like 2

The Class 450 is in stock at Kernow :D Cannot wait to receive mine! Remember reportedly sold out at Bachmann in a recent Kernow MRC newsletter.

Hopefully a second run in the new year announcements, along with one in First MTR livery to be launched in a matter of weeks.

And we will most likely have a new livery on the West Midlands 350s before the year is out too.

Yippee! They've got them out just in time to be up-to-the-minute current trains for two more weeks, until First MTR replaces 'South West Trains' with it's own name :no:

?? Seeing as the SWT livery on the Class 450 has been around for over 13 years (the franchaise 21 years) I don't see how it won't continue to be a popular livery to model. As NSE was around for only c.7 years and still proves to be immensly popular (I have made this point before), I find it easy to see why SWT livery is a popular livery for modellers.

• RMweb Gold

?? Seeing as the SWT livery on the Class 450 has been around for over 13 years (the franchaise 21 years) I don't see how it won't continue to be a popular livery to model. As NSE was around for only c.7 years and still proves to be immensly popular (I have made this point before), I find it easy to see why SWT livery is a popular livery for modellers.

NSE livery stands the test of time, some SWT stock was still reminiscent of NSE livery until quite recently, class 455's comes to mind.

There's still an NSE container grounded at Norwood Junction and the branding is still on signs in several places...

The livery was the "sunshine livery" of its day.

NSE livery stands the test of time, some SWT stock was still reminiscent of NSE livery until quite recently, class 455's comes to mind.

There's still an NSE container grounded at Norwood Junction and the branding is still on signs in several places...

The livery was the "sunshine livery" of its day.

Downham Market station has just been refurbished into NSE livery, including new NSE signage. Looks rather crisp.

Paul