Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

• RMweb Gold

My weathered 450 has arrived from Kernow and is currently being run in.  I was a bit apprehensive about the weathered finish but IMHO Bachmann have done an excellent job, the light coloured roof isn't as over powering as it appears in some pictures though the underframe dirt maybe goes a bit too high on to the bodyside.  Lots of nice little details printed on like warning labels and no smoking signs, seats are the correct colour in standard and first.

Little niggles - the side destinations boards only saying Waterloo when they normally say London Waterloo and I'm not 100% on the bodyside blue though this does seem to vary on the real thing depending on condition, I wonder if the unweathered version will appear darker? 

But overall I'm very happy with the unit.

• Like 2

Just as a point of interest: Even before the demise of SWT in a couple of weeks time, the weathered version 450127 is already 'out of date' as it was named "Dave Gunson" at Woking on 26th July after the guard who was killed in a hit and run road incident just before Christmas.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/15451165.Train_tribute_to_guard_killed_in_crash/

• RMweb Gold

I don't normally do 2017 era EMUs but as this is occasionally my ride to work I decided to make an exception..post-20773-0-14039100-1502560238_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-57717400-1502560255_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-07937400-1502560271_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-49569700-1502560285_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-01084500-1502560298_thumb.jpg

Really nice detail, including the roof detail.

post-20773-0-47385900-1502560901_thumb.jpg

The colour is absolutely spot on.

All cars with pickups, wiring through the couplings, expect this to be a smooth runner.

Only gripe is the extremely large block in the motorised car, it's not very noticeable unless you put it to the light (see below), but on my layout in normal light I don't see this will be an issue.post-20773-0-09639900-1502560595_thumb.jpg

Mine is going to Portsmouth, I saw reference earlier there's are going to Waterloo ?

post-20773-0-71229400-1502560370_thumb.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't normally do 2017 era EMUs but as this is occasionally my ride to work I decided to make an exception..attachicon.gifIMG_2973.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2969.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2962.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2974.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2975.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2946.JPG

All cars with pickups, wiring through the couplings, expect this to be a smooth runner.

Only gripe is the extremely large block in the motorised car, it's not very noticeable unless you put it to the light (see below), but on my layout in normal light I don't see this will be an issue.attachicon.gifIMG_2977.JPG

Mine is going to Portsmouth, I saw reference earlier there's are going to Waterloo ?

Thank you very much for posting the pictures. 

I don't usually buy passenger units but I have to say that these 450s by Bachmann look fantastic. I don't model the southern region of the country either but I may buy one or both of these 450s. The livery and attention to detail is captured really well. Just from seeing the pictures I think Bachmann deserve a big well done. 

• RMweb Gold

Weathered version has Waterloo as a destination though the unweathered review sample in Model Rail has Waterloo on the cab display and Portsmouth & Southsea on the side display?

The 450's and 444's are quite commonly seen displaying 'South West Trains' and 'SWT' on the side and cab displays respectively, maybe that would have been a better option over P&S?

I don't normally do 2017 era EMUs but as this is occasionally my ride to work I decided to make an exception..attachicon.gifIMG_2973.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2969.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2962.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2974.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2975.JPG

Only gripe is the extremely large block in the motorised car, it's not very noticeable unless you put it to the light (see below), but on my layout in normal light I don't see this will be an issue.attachicon.gifIMG_2977.JPG

That looks absolutely stunning. I have never even seen a 450 in real let alone travelled on one but just looking at those pics makes me very tempted by the model.

Well done Bachmann!

Edited by bart2day

Snap ................... oh hang yours is smaller .............

450073 on todays' 14:53 Basingstoke - Woking approaching Winchfield

post-5198-0-51292600-1502577010_thumb.jpg

Technically both models are out-of-date anyway as the real things as a fleet have been running without the water filler pipe covers on the trailer coach bodyside for some years ....................  who cares ....... these are stunning

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

O/T slightly, but in the past 2 days I have twice seen a 450/444 combo (444021 & uid 450 on Friday and 450013 & uid 444 yesterday). I don't ever recall seeing this before - does anybody know if it is a regular thing? (Both times in Pompey)

Edited by steve1023

• RMweb Gold

O/T slightly, but in the past 2 days I have twice seen a 450/444 combo (444021 & uid 450 on Friday and 450013 & uid 444 yesterday). I don't ever recall seeing this before - does anybody know if it is a regular thing? (Both times in Pompey)

Has happened for many years, the Alton turn often produced a 450/444 combo in the evening peak when I used to travel regularly. Also had a few on Weymouth/Poole services from Waterloo over the years.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

There is a booked turn for a 450/444 combo on the Poole/Weymouth line, can't remember the specific services involved however. 

• RMweb Gold

A few years back when I was a regular morning traveller my train was more often than not a 450/444 combo, I think it was due to a 444 refurbishment program being underway and also some damage to a 444 meaning there were less of them about. Normally the 450 was the leading unit to Waterloo, I always went for the 444 section and judging by how full it got it seemed everyone else did the same. Quite the reverse of the normal 2 x 444 formation where most of the commuters would try and cram in the front unit for a quick exit at Waterloo leaving plenty of seats in the rear unit.

There is a booked turn for a 450/444 combo on the Poole/Weymouth line, can't remember the specific services involved however. 

One of the mid morning Weymouth-Waterloo fasts has been joining up with a 450 at Southampton Central the last few times I've been on it, 0903 ex Weymouth rings a bell but I'm not certain.

Looking at the pictures above, can someone who already has theirs tell me if optional front end parts (such as a dummy delner) are supplied, in order to make it look a little more realistic for those who just want to run as a single unit.

For comparison with pictures of the model - link

Only gripe is the extremely large block in the motorised car, it's not very noticeable unless you put it to the light (see below), but on my layout in normal light I don't see this will be an issue.

Now that is a fine looking model! Mine is currently at the Interlink depot waiting delivery on Monday from Kernow. I cannot wait!

The block does not seem to be an issue from your photo, seeing as the access toilet module is found under the pantograph well. Thus looks fairly prototypical to me.

My only gripe from photos is the end gangway surrounds where the yellow and blue creeps onto the end. Nothing what a quick sharpie won't solve though!

There were/are up to 6 daily diagrammed 444-450 combinations on the Waterloo-Weymouth route, of the top of my head is either the 09:38 or 10:38 from Southampton Airport parkway. The 16:35 out of Waterloo is. Interestingly the 21:05 out of Waterloo is two 450s! Avoid!! Though with the timetable currently in chaos due to the Waterloo works, the 11.50 out of Waterloo is currently a combo with the 450 heading through to Weymouth.

Certainly easy to miss as only a few diagrams, but it is a regular thing.

As for a 444 model, I think we have more chance in inventing a shrinking machine and stealing a real 444 to reduce to 1:76. Though those rare Steam engines and early BR locomotives where only a dozen or so were built all seem to be getting tooled now. So never say never to a 444 model! (Though I secretly pray for a 442 model nightly)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pictures above, can someone who already has theirs tell me if optional front end parts (such as a dummy delner) are supplied, in order to make it look a little more realistic for those who just want to run as a single unit.

For comparison with pictures of the model - link

Yes they are. Same as the 350's, the object deflector plugs into the NEM pocket and the dummy Delner fits (poorly) in a hole in the chassis plus there are mouldings representing the wiring between coaches should you wish to attach them.  One thing different is that the dummy Delner head is no longer supplied pre-attached to it's arm, you have to glue them together.

Another minor difference between the 350's and the 450's packs is that the instructions, collectors club and warranty leaflets are all now combined in one neat booklet.

• RMweb Gold

The block does not seem to be an issue from your photo, seeing as the access toilet module is found under the pantograph well. Thus looks fairly prototypical to me.

Yes the toilet block is where the block is, and if you look through the window, there is a partial gap too, as if a corridor, so it's acceptable, but the block does cover the exit doors too, but we can let that pass, you won't notice it.

The weathers too nice today to lock myself in the dark of the train room, so I'll look tomorrow or tonight.

There is a parts bag supplied.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Cab front of weathered version with object deflector and droopy Dellner attached.

post-462-0-61081700-1502643992_thumb.jpg

Side display with Waterloo destination.

post-462-0-28814300-1502643981_thumb.jpg

Weather like this makes me wish I had a garden railway!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am sorely tempted to buy one of these and build a London-based layout for it. Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me the overall length of Bachmann's four-car unit?

Just over 1007mm - 42 inches in old money.

HTH

Godfrey

PS They are beautiful!

Agree with all of the above replies - I think the current ones are something to do with the Waterloo work alterations

13:19 Ports Hbr - Waterloo @ Guildford on 11/08/17 - 450113 topping 444021 (your Friday one)

Note the spanking mirror like finish of the 450 ............

post-5198-0-21922000-1502667204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 6

Guest FairwayJunction

That would be LSWR livery. Well LSWR (2017).

I did some research and the new franchise starting from the 20th of August will be called "South Western Trains". I wish they called it "London South Western" but oh well.  Anyway an interesting point to note is the new franchise is announcing plans to refurbish and enter 18 Class 442s to service for use on London Waterloo to Portsmouth services so perhaps we may see the class 442 in the future.

• RMweb Gold

the new franchise is announcing plans to refurbish and enter 18 Class 442s to service for use on London Waterloo to Portsmouth services so perhaps we may see the class 442 in the future.

I doubt it, The Desiro just needed a few tweaks to the tooling, a 442 would be all new tools and restricted to Southern areas.

There's a whole thread on the franchise and discussion on the 442's elsewhere.

How the 442's perform on a section of line they struggled on in the past and had to run as 10 cars, with restricted stops in poor conditions, remains to be seen ;) the sand bins are still there according to one of our MOM's!

Guest FairwayJunction

I doubt it, The Desiro just needed a few tweaks to the tooling, a 442 would be all new tools and restricted to Southern areas.

There's a whole thread on the franchise and discussion on the 442's elsewhere.

How the 442's perform on a section of line they struggled on in the past and had to run as 10 cars, with restricted stops in poor conditions, remains to be seen ;) the sand bins are still there according to one of our MOM's!

Yes you are quite right, I don't know what South Western Trains are planning but the future will tell.