Heljan 128

beast66606

Mancherster Victoria circa 1985

Uh oh, opportunity to model from my trainspotting days at redbank on the other side of Ducie Bridge:rolleyes:

Spot on mate (make mine 1980)! The racket they made was brilliant and the trails of clag too. Add a 25 ticking over on banking duty in the centre road, parade of 40s in and out.......the stuff of which dreams are made.

Brilliant news.... soon they will geuinely runing out of prototypes though!

m0rris

If Heljan are turning to DMU's, they have loads left to do: 100,103,104,107,109,111,114,115,116,117,118,119,120,123,124,125,126,127,129

should keep them busy for a few years

If Heljan are turning to DMU's, they have loads left to do: 100,103,104,107,109,111,114,115,116,117,118,119,120,123,124,125,126,127,129

should keep them busy for a few years

Please don't tell them about the 116, I want tried and tested Bachmann to do that! The only coach body we've had from Heljan is the rather off 0 gauge mk1s..

Presumably they chose this as its got so few windows they can put a normal centre drive in it?

Presumably they chose this as its got so few windows they can put a normal centre drive in it?

Or probably because it was one vehicle, so less tooling and hence less cost/risk for a "first" DMU. The other single car ones were the 122 (very similar to the 121 so potentially risky) and the 129 so it was probably a toss up between the two parcels units, with the 128 probably having the better press it would seem :)

Given the railbuses they're working on, this might just be a logical extension of the (essential) low profile mechanism they'll need for those, just with longer drive shafts and going to bogies rather than a pair of axles. If the railbuses don't have a low profile mechanism, I think there will be armed insurrection...

If Heljan are turning to DMU's, they have loads left to do: ...

Or probably because it was one vehicle, so less tooling and hence less cost/risk for a "first" DMU. The other single car ones were the 122 (very similar to the 121 so potentially risky) and the 129 so it was probably a toss up between the two parcels units, with the 128 probably having the better press it would seem :)

My feeling FWIW is that DMUs per se dont suit the Heljan MO. Their developing strategy seems increasingly targeted at the offbeat sort of thing that's traditionally been the province of low volume kits by the likes of Q Kits, Silver Fox and countless others.

Given the railbuses they're working on, this might just be a logical extension of the (essential) low profile mechanism they'll need for those, just with longer drive shafts and going to bogies rather than a pair of axles. If the railbuses don't have a low profile mechanism, I think there will be armed insurrection...

True. I can understand 128 vs 129, there were only 3 of the latter.

I'd forgotten about the railbus but this probably has more in common with a Hymek really for drive though it may have whatever motor they use in the Railbus to mount the shafts lower.

I'll wait and see anyway, they do look nice in green.

Guest jim s-w

Please don't tell them about the 116, I want tried and tested Bachmann to do that! The only coach body we've had from Heljan is the rather off 0 gauge mk1s..

Agreed Craig

I remember when they announced the 86 someone said I must be over the moon? My reply was something along the lines of anybody but them but I was happy to be proved wrong. In the event (sadly) I wasn't.

Cheers

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi, is there any internet link to this Class 128 news ?, had as gander on the Heljan sight nothing on there, and I have not seen a Heljan catalogue as there are no model shops within miles from here.

Watch out Bachmann, Heljan now have a 64'6" DMU chassis! Roll on a 123 set, or bigger wheels and more Southern Stuff!

Watch out Bachmann, Heljan now have a 64'6" DMU chassis! Roll on a 123 set, or bigger wheels and more Southern Stuff!

You are right Charlie, but they have to get an acceptable looking body onto it.

The 128s had loads of niggly little detail changes made over the years and I hope Heljan's research is good. those headcode boxes, then marker lights, gangways, exhausts etc, and theres some pretty fine handrails to festoon over the front. It'll be interesting to see whether the handrails are moulded on, fitted on (by factory or consumer) or left off.

I really want it to be good, because I really want some 116s.

Fingers crossed

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Anybody any news on this? Seams to have gone quiet lately. Just wondering, because all the 64` dmu shared the same 200hp underframe, and if hj do a good job with this, with different bodies you have the posibilities of everything from 114 to 127.

Will have to have a look at warley.

Guest jim s-w

Same wheelbase but that's about it in terms of similarity

For a start, 128's had no heaters, 2 leyland 230hp engines and a lathe tank at one end

Compared to class 127 2 rolls Royce 238hp engines (very different battery boxes)

Class 122 2 aec 150hp engines same as a class 120 but they had a prominent tank on both sides

118 2 leyland 150hp engines

None of the above looked alike

Hth

Jim

Archived