Heljan 128

beast66606

It isn't prototypical but has anyone put a 128 next to a 419 perhaps with the Express Parcels limited edition 08 shunter thrown in for good measure?

Not the best quality but there's my effort. Couldn't help throwing the 85 in for good measure!

It's as authentic as you want it to be.

post-9224-0-61865300-1363434194_thumb.jpg

post-9224-0-72919000-1363434223_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Well, my GSYP version arrived yesterday, so today I took it out to have a look.

Beware! Nothing loose as found by others, quite the opposite in fact. When I opened the top folding back piece of plastic the yellow gangway connection was stuck to the packing and had broken off the body. All four tiny lugs had broken. The Sellotape stuff had for no obvious reason been stuck across the end and the gangway prefer to stay attached that that. Not difficult to reattach I'm sure so I won't be sending it back, but annoying nevertheless.

After years of thinking that Heljan's boxes were superior, this new design really is the pits - all presumably so you can see what you're getting. Can we have the sturdy thicker cardboard boxes back please Heljan.

Well, my GSYP version arrived yesterday, so today I took it out to have a look.

Beware! Nothing loose as found by others, quite the opposite in fact. When I opened the top folding back piece of plastic the yellow gangway connection was stuck to the packing and had broken off the body. All four tiny lugs had broken. The Sellotape stuff had for no obvious reason been stuck across the end and the gangway prefer to stay attached that that. Not difficult to reattach I'm sure so I won't be sending it back, but annoying nevertheless.

After years of thinking that Heljan's boxes were superior, this new design really is the pits - all presumably so you can see what you're getting. Can we have the sturdy thicker cardboard boxes back please Heljan.

Yes  I  agree  with  you  the  carton  is  a  disappointment,  nearly  as  bad  as  Hornby's efforts!!

I was really looking  forward to  Heljan's quality  packing, but  I suppose  that  it is  a  sign of the  times  the pennys ( or is it Kroner still in Denmark!!)  must  be  saved, if we  are  to continue to benefit from the products  of   these manufacturers!! 

• RMweb Gold

What a superb model.  It really looks the part, and the detail on it is amazing (and includes the finest separately-fitted handrails I have yet seen on a ready-to-run model).  The underframe detail too is terrific; a step-up (in my opinion) from that on Bachmann's excellent DMUs.  The mechanism is standard Heljan fare: very heavy and very reliable. But it has a solid chassis which protrudes up into the body, and so will disappoint those who hoped to be able to use it for other purposes.  If I have a criticism, it is that no space is specifically provided for a speaker.  However, I have managed to equip my 128 with sound by using a couple of small, 20 mm high bass speakers.

This wonderfully quirky model deserves to do well, and I, for one, hope it is the first of many DMUs from Heljan.attachicon.gif128(1).jpgattachicon.gif128(2).jpgattachicon.gif128(3).jpgattachicon.gif128(6).JPGattachicon.gif128(4).JPGattachicon.gif128(5).JPG

My Second 128 arrived and has been modified to represent an updated prototype.  Here it sits in Doncaster station, and later meets its stablemate at a signal check.

post-3981-0-98512800-1363456162.jpgpost-3981-0-03253200-1363456193_thumb.jpg

post-3981-0-43393300-1363474578_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have just fitted my 128 with sound and whilst I am very pleased with the model and top marks to Heljan, why oh why don't they make decent provision for a speaker!

I have had to grind out a section of the chassis to fit a bass enhanced speaker with a little thought this could have been avoided, also why couldn't they provide solder points on the circuit board for speakers like Dapol have done on the Western thus having to avoid soldering to the speaker wires to the chip.

Quality of the Model 10/10

Ease of fitting sound 1/10

I will post some pictures later to show how I did it.

Peter

Yes  I  agree  with  you  the  carton  is  a  disappointment,  nearly  as  bad  as  Hornby's efforts!!

I was really looking  forward to  Heljan's quality  packing, but  I suppose  that  it is  a  sign of the  times  the pennys ( or is it Kroner still in Denmark!!)  must  be  saved, if we  are  to continue to benefit from the products  of   these manufacturers!! 

Have to say I agree, the outer sleeve and internal carton is dismal.

I thought the inner plastic was impressive though, with the extra flaps on the side. This was the only part of the box I thought superior to Bachmann's efforts.

The Unit itself is superb, for me Heljans best model and a sure contender for model of the year.

Off topic a bit here but, I've never understood the fascination some people have with boxes?!  As long as nothing's broken -(and mine wasn't - not like my 7mm Deltic which despite it's old style box was at best only part-assembled by the time I got it ) does the box really matter - mine fly into the bin within seconds! 

Off topic a bit here but, I've never understood the fascination some people have with boxes?!  As long as nothing's broken -(and mine wasn't - not like my 7mm Deltic which despite it's old style box was at best only part-assembled by the time I got it ) does the box really matter - mine fly into the bin within seconds! 

Couldn't agree more and those fancy boxes just add to the cost!

Its   not  really  a  fascination,  its  just  as  you  say  a comment on whether  the  article  purchased  is  protected  sufficiently  on its  long  journey from  factory to  end  user.

I have  purchased  several  Heljan locos  over  the  years  in both 7mm  and 4mm  and  never had  a problem.

I must add though  I do  retain  my  boxes,  just  in  case  i change  my  mind,  in this  world  of  instant  communication  re-selling  is  so  easy, storage  of  boxes  can prove to be a  problem expecially  with  the  Large Scale  stuff, luckily  we  have  a  large  loft!

Apologies  for the  topic  wander ------  back to the  128   Oh nearly  forgot  if  any one  from Heljan  reads  this  a 7mm version would be  nice!!

Model Rail "will have some good news" on the light blue/red stripe/dark blue variant "shortly". No prizes for guessing that it'll be a ltd edition. Source: Ben Jones on Twitter.

RWJ

Excellent news, thanks for the heads up.

To me, as a collector, the box is nearly as important! The artwork, the style, etc, is all part of the fun. For a good example example check out the Steam ltd edition Dapol Western.

• RMweb Gold

A good sturdy box is very important for many reasons, from mail order postage, transport from China to stockists, storage when out of use for prolonged periods such as layout rebuilding or long term storage. Moving house is another one. Heljan had the best boxes on the market so it's sad to see the change. Good to see Dapol using a similar box to Heljan of old.

You must be one of the "favoured" ones, Chris!!  I've just opened a second 128 (this time in green) and there are 5 parts floating around in the box before I've even removed the loco from its packaging!!

No, I've since bought a green one and there are two sandboxes loose in the packaging.

CHRIS LEIGH

It might be green, there were 2 types of green livery applied to DMUs in the early days, the lighter one was unlined. Someone will need to confirm that class 128s carried this version but class 116 definately did.

Cheers

Jim

No, definitely NOT light green. These were 1959/60 deliveries and dark green was the order of the day. The 128 in the photo is Rail blue, by the way.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

A good sturdy box is very important for many reasons, from mail order postage, transport from China to stockists, storage when out of use for prolonged periods such as layout rebuilding or long term storage. Moving house is another one. Heljan had the best boxes on the market so it's sad to see the change. Good to see Dapol using a similar box to Heljan of old.

Whole heartedly agree! There's nothing better than a good quality model in a good quality box. This is a step in the wrong direction by Heljan in my opinion.

Shaun.

PS. Mine is coming airmail and I'm dreading to see how many loose bits might be floating about once USPS have tossed it about for good measure. Will report when it arrives.

Until you change era and realise you could have got an extra tenner for your loco if you'd kept the box!

Paul

Has anyone experienced any trouble with these and running with Bachmann 21 pin dcc decoders? I have just fitted one of the new decoders to my 128 and although it runs fine, including lighting control, on its default setting of 3 it refuses to accept a change in loco number. I have managed to reprogram other locos with identical chips, just not this one. For info I am using a Hornby Elite to program on a separate section of track. The lights flash on an off as one would expect when programming, it just doesn't seem to accept the new number.

I'm not one for impulse purchases, but today I viewed a DPU at Lord and Butler and left shortly afterwards a good few shekels lighter.

Here is my banger blue variant at work on my layout - this is one model that needs heavy weathering I think.

post-1538-0-93720600-1363638710.jpg

post-1538-0-59538100-1363638753.jpg

What a lovely model.  

post-1538-0-97804300-1363638788.jpg

post-1538-0-41755800-1363638824.jpg

Archived