Heljan 128

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

certainly in the 70s, the ScR seemed to use cl.122s for parcels work

particularly the three cl.131 conversions 55013-5, which had sealed/modified doors and blanked out or meshed bodyside windows

55014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/6132770705/in/set-72157603648796702

iirc they were often used attached to a 3-car cl.101

I remember seeing 128's at Reading in the mid 80's, in filthy bangar blue and for some reason only seen by myself on overcast rainy days!

Perhaps the above reason is why I never got a decent photograph of one, they had a strange fascination being so fugly with their sheeted over gangways and tiny windows under the layers of grime, the antithesis of the more glamourous HST's and class 50's that dominated proceedings at the time.

The first time I saw one I never realised what its purpose was, and assumed it was some sort of departmental vehicle for laying sandite or whatever...I was around 14 at the time though...

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing 128's at Reading in the mid 80's, in filthy bangar blue and for some reason only seen by myself on overcast rainy days!

Perhaps the above reason is why I never got a decent photograph of one, they had a strange fascination being so fugly with their sheeted over gangways and tiny windows under the layers of grime, the antithesis of the more glamourous HST's and class 50's that dominated proceedings at the time.

The first time I saw one I never realised what its purpose was, and assumed it was some sort of departmental vehicle for laying sandite or whatever...I was around 14 at the time though...

They didn't look too bad when new - the lined green was quite nice when clean and provided the ends were kept clean the blank door always looked presentable.  But when they went into blue they looked like so many other things - absolutely soulless and just a dismal shape unrelieved by anything such as lining.

They didn't look too bad when new - the lined green was quite nice when clean and provided the ends were kept clean the blank door always looked presentable.  But when they went into blue they looked like so many other things - absolutely soulless and just a dismal shape unrelieved by anything such as lining.

The Red post office livery certainly changed that!

They stood out from the crowd in that livery for sure.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

certainly in the 70s, the ScR seemed to use cl.122s for parcels work

particularly the three cl.131 conversions 55013-5, which had sealed/modified doors and blanked out or meshed bodyside windows

55014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/6132770705/in/set-72157603648796702

iirc they were often used attached to a 3-car cl.101

I was unaware of these. Possibly a good subject for a limited-series commission from one of the retailers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w
I was unaware of these. Possibly a good subject for a limited-series commission from one of the retailers.

Or a nice simple project for someone who actually wants to do some modelling!

I've just has an email from Hatton's saying Heljan have given them a release date of March '13, any news from inside sources? 

I had vouchers for Christmas that I am saving to spend on the BR green with yellow gangway covers, I just hope Antics don't go bust or I may Loose my vouchers!!!

Hattons have today advised delivery in August 2013 (my green whiskered one anyway).

Funny - my e-mail said :-

"Heljan 8900 Class 128 DPU W55991 in green with speed whiskers. £94.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us March 2013".

Left hand / right hand ?!?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi Tase

The mystery is indeed solved, and is because my message and your info relate to the AC Railcar and not the Class 128 - so for some reason I ordered the wrong item! :scratchhead: :blush: :banghead:

Just as well I posted!  Oh well, off to change my order :locomotive:

• 4 weeks later...

The following models are due for release next week (25 Feb) so should be in shops the week after:

8900 - W55993 in BR green livery with speed whiskers

8901 - W55992 in BR green livery with yellow gangway doors

8902 - W55991 in early BR blue livery with yellow gangway doors

8903 - M55994 in BR rail blue livery with full yellow ends

Hmmm, given Heljan's track record, I'll wait until I see the reviews before I part with cash for one of these. Apart from a small photo by Model Rail, I've yet to see close-up detail shots of these models. Hopefully they'll turn out to be a faithful reproduction. Fingers crossed.

• RMweb Premium

I'll await my in-stock notification email from Liverpool and see if there are any reviews before making a decision.  The parcel cars ran outside my area of interest (just) but Rule 1 applies and several other itmes which never ran in Cornwall appear on the layout including Falcon and a pair of Claytons :O

Hmmm, given Heljan's track record, I'll wait until I see the reviews before I part with cash for one of these. Apart from a small photo by Model Rail, I've yet to see close-up detail shots of these models. Hopefully they'll turn out to be a faithful reproduction. Fingers crossed.

There are some reasonable side-on shots of the Heljan pre-production model on the Hatton's website (http://www.worldwidemodelrailways.com/stocklist/1000399/1000588/1000673/1000818/Heljan_OO_Gauge_1_76th_DMUs_United_Kingdom/sceneprodlist.aspx) but I haven't seen any others. 

(I used the new Hatton's live chat facility to check these were of the Heljan pre-production model).

There are some reasonable side-on shots of the Heljan pre-production model on the Hatton's website (http://www.worldwidemodelrailways.com/stocklist/1000399/1000588/1000673/1000818/Heljan_OO_Gauge_1_76th_DMUs_United_Kingdom/sceneprodlist.aspx) but I haven't seen any others. 

(I used the new Hatton's live chat facility to check these were of the Heljan pre-production model).

Many thanks for that. Something is better than nothing at this stage, but I'll wait until I see something a bit more concrete.

RWJ

• RMweb Gold

When this does come to be reviewed I hope the respective editors remember that these units were designed and diagrammed to haul tail loads and give us an idea of their capacity.

This follows Chris Leigh's entirely reasonable comments on the 2-BIL thread about not testing haulage capacity on mutiple units unless there were unpowered units on the market for them to pull. As Chris's lifelong interest in WR diesels is well known I don't think he'd need reminding but other magazines might. The 128s both in WR and LMR service were used to pull several vans of parcels and mail around as well as operating singly, and in later years when Barmouth Bridge was suffering from marine worms and locos were banned, they pulled engineering trains across it.

When this does come to be reviewed I hope the respective editors remember that these units were designed and diagrammed to haul tail loads and give us an idea of their capacity.

This follows Chris Leigh's entirely reasonable comments on the 2-BIL thread about not testing haulage capacity on mutiple units unless there were unpowered units on the market for them to pull. As Chris's lifelong interest in WR diesels is well known I don't think he'd need reminding but other magazines might. The 128s both in WR and LMR service were used to pull several vans of parcels and mail around as well as operating singly, and in later years when Barmouth Bridge was suffering from marine worms and locos were banned, they pulled engineering trains across it.

I understand that I'll be seeing a review sample very soon and have already started writing the prototype notes etc. I saw W55991/2 every time I went trainspotting and they usually had tail loads. It is worth realising that the loads were limited, however. I would be looking for the model to pull about four vehicles, but we shall see. I do have an unpowered  old TRi-ang EMU to put behind the 2-BIL but to date Model Rail has not received a review sample of this model. Seems the Barmouth bridge job also included recovering stranded wagons from the 'wrong' side of the bridge - mainly gunpowder vans from Penrhyndeudraeth.

CHRIS LEIGH

PS. Ten minutes later, a Thumper has arrived for review. You wait ages for a multiple unit, then three come at once.....

Archived