Horniman Park

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I've just bought a digital camera and here's my effort in building a portable layout in my flat, it's 3ft 6in X 4ft 8in and can be stacked away when not in use. Track is sectional Fleischmann Profi and the inner circuit is DC (analogue) only and the outer circuit is DC/DCC enabled. I haven't made much progess lately as not surprisingly I'd rather run my trains!

post-850-002621800 1290260102_thumb.jpg

post-850-067712000 1290260120_thumb.jpg

post-850-036647600 1290260181_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Recently I've done more work on the layout, I've bought two Bachmann Scenecraft buildings, their industrial unit and office block to fit in some of the layout's corners.

They've been tried out to see how they fit before developing the ground around them, including putting in parking bays, etc, so they can sit properly in their surroundings.

I also bought 15 models of contemporary vehicles (rather upmarket!) for 69p each from my local Tesco superstore, they are rather overscale, but a cheap way to populate the scene.

White platform edgings will appear in due course together with other physical work in my time off from work over Xmas.

post-850-023725200 1292771134_thumb.jpg

post-850-018515700 1292771243_thumb.jpg

post-850-063404900 1292771346_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Also, I've trial fitted a road overbridge, made up of balsa wood piers and the deck made from two cut up long potting trays bought from a local DIY superstore. Work on fitting and modelling the bridge will be done at a later stage as I still have plenty of work to do on other parts of the layout.

If I wanted to run it in the steam era or don't feel like placing the bridge on the layout for a running session I can put it aside, I can vary some of the buildings as long as I have the space for them, and it'll be a long time before I run out of ideas for this layout, even if I stay put or have to move into another flat

post-850-093140300 1292773060_thumb.jpg

post-850-029940900 1292773097_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is all the work I done as I'm off work today:

1. The office block was demolished and replaced with an enlarged car park. Some more fencing has been added near the curved platform and bedded in with the scenics, the PVA's glue drying, hence its partly white appearance.

White edgings have been added to both platforms.

A football match will be taking place soon (once I've bought more figures) but the scratchbuilt stand isn't yet completed. I envisage this station will be open peak hours only and also when football matches are being played nearby.

post-850-0-47518100-1303490598_thumb.jpg

2. I can move with the times, here's a recycling point in the car park!

post-850-0-64408900-1303490667_thumb.jpg

3. Moving on from the last set of photos, I turned round the industrial unit so the entrance faces inwards, this gives more room for loading vehicles, etc. The level crossing has had STOP road markings added.

post-850-0-38016400-1303490951_thumb.jpg

4. The church was demolished due to it being in poor repair (it's actually in storage awaiting refurbishment, being a Hornby plastic kit structure) and has been replaced in the meantime by an office block.

post-850-0-06169200-1303491087_thumb.jpg

I've deliberately not placed any of my model trains in any of my scenes as it can be a good test of how well the scenery's modelled and in working out the era of the layout.

• RMweb Premium

I found the outer curved platform was glued on fast at one end by the PVA used to hold the fencing and the scenic scatter in place.

Luckily it hasn't affected running clearances but I'll see how well the platform copes when it's stacked away vertically, as it protrudes further out than the walling and PW hut as shown in the very first photo posted about this project.

It may even be a bonus as the curved platform was awkward to store away from the layout, however the inner platform will still be kept loose.

The Fleischmann Profi track used here are 2nd and 3rd radii (I've given comparable Hornby radii in brackets)

Radius 1 is 356.5mm (371mm)

Radius 2 is 420mm (438mm)

Radius 3 is 483.5mm (505mm)

Radius 4 is 547mm (572mm)

• RMweb Premium

Here's my first photos featuring some of my collection. I own few post-2000 prototypes but I'll start off with one of my favourite formations: a 67 (Lima, s/h, DC only) with four air-con Mk2s. Health and Safety dispensation has been given for short platform working, I've travelled on services calling at Dilton Marsh and Freshford (both in Wiltshire) in the past where the platform's much shorter than the train!

I own a few sound fitted locos and having a station on this test layout gave me practice in driving them with the right amount of power like the prototype without overshooting the platforms.

post-850-0-16728200-1304114846_thumb.jpg

When Bachmann's Collector Club brought out their Silverlink 150/1s, I just had to own one, although some may think the purple and lime green livery looks garish I rather like it. Another plus point is the longevity of their livery, they were first painted in 2000 in that style and although their franchise terminated in Dec. 2007, their basic livery, minus logos, continued with London Overground, and with FGW at least into this year.

post-850-0-57525900-1304114897_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, class 66...

BTW my track is pre-ballasted Fleischmann Profi but I've blended it with N scale granite chippings so they're indistinguishable. The track costs more than Hornby, Bachmann or Peco Setrack but I can easily reuse it should plans change, it's only pinned down.

Any developments on Horniman Park will be posted for all RMWebbers to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

1. Horniman Park can host many events, here it hosts its first bus and vintage vehicle event, a carefully selected range of vehicles to represent geographic spread.

post-850-0-55854500-1305222783_thumb.jpg

2. Many of these operators present at this inaugural event represent where my family and I lived over the years, plus a special invite for Ford Anglia and Morris Minor enthusiasts. Incidentally my mum's first car was a Morris Minor then when that blew a gasket that cost too much to repair, she bought a Ford Anglia 105E.

post-850-0-32551900-1305222828_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-07438000-1305222868_thumb.jpg

3. Wait a minute ... hey my London friend's arriving now to join the party!

post-850-0-03804000-1305223075_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I've included two photos showing 1980s Network SouthEast, Western Region trains, as I lived in west London as a student between 1985-88, hovever, at the moment, I own plenty of buses, London and provincial, but very few cars suitable for mid to late 80s.

post-850-0-51537400-1305309206_thumb.jpg

Although bubble cars (121s) would have been used, I give preference to Birmingham-built units hence a WR Met-Cam DMU appears on peak-hour duties.

post-850-0-09529500-1305309236_thumb.jpg

In storage are NSE platform fittings for "North Southall" very vaguely based on the Greenford-West Ruislip section, which I modelled years ago on paste table sections before I dismantled the boards, include trademark red lamp posts, shelters, and timetable displays, are in stock to complete the scene, but they're very securely packed away and it'll take ages to extract and fit them on the layout, compared with the time to photograph them, so I decided to leave them alone.

One implication of all this is you need just as much room to store all the accessories and buildings off site, especially, if like me, you model more than one era.

• RMweb Premium

This morning, in order to house all my models in one cupboard I took out a large box containing accessories and scenics and unpacked my dormant set of NSE platform fittings for "North Southall".

As my layout has to be stacked away at short notice, I don't attach too many fittings onto it at any one time as it becomes a hassle to remove them all. Even so I only attached the lamp posts with Blu-tak and left some of the signage off as I didn't want to drill too many extra holes in the platforms and baseboard.

post-850-0-87437400-1305362437_thumb.jpg

Moreover, as this is only a test track, I want the option to attach different station fittings depending on the location and the era.

The shelters are etchings produced by Dart Castings some 20 years ago, and the lamps by Knightwing, the station nameboards were scratchbuilt and lettered using waterslide NSE transfers (decals), the choice of name, as well as my wish of it being in west London, was also constrained by the letters available on the transfer sheet.

post-850-0-87387300-1305362361_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's my Southern Electric rail blue/grey collection:

No third rail present, as of course, it's a test track.

Bachmann's 4CEP with headcode 8 (Portsmouth Harbour-London Victoria)

post-850-0-58068200-1306657928_thumb.jpg

2 X 2EPBs, one the new Bachmann BR Mk1 version and the other is the Bulleid styled version, made from an Ayjay limited run resin kit and is a dummy unit, bought complete as used off a well known auction site, but needs repairs before entering service, but suitablly posed, interesting to compare both styles.

post-850-0-30950000-1306657982_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-04728400-1306658074_thumb.jpg

Depending on how Hornby's forthcoming 4VEP in all over blue pans out, I may give the 2 X 2EPBs either a South Western Division (73) or Central Division (62) headcode.

• RMweb Premium

Although clearances through the curved platform were OK even for Mk3s, my mum brought up the last of my model train collection that was stored at home, including a Dapol Pendolino.

This was the platform before it was modified to cope. Instead of Blutak I used the sticky black stuff Hornby uses to hold wiring and weights in place to fill the holes.

post-850-0-39254600-1307124980_thumb.jpg

The Pendo scraped along part of the platform (from Bachmann's Underground Ernie range) leaving a tiny mark on the lower corner of the red area of the nose, so I had to very patiently scrape enough plastic off with the back of a Stanley knife, with the platform in situ, to allow vital clearance even when in motion, as the Dapol model wobbles a fair bit.

In the end, I scraped about 2mm off the overhanging edge, this shows how far I cut back, which meant repainting the white edge. Having said that, I'm still imposing a speed restriction and the powered car has to lead in the formation, but at least I can run it occasionally.

post-850-0-28963700-1307125054_thumb.jpg

Also I accidentally slipped the blade over the platform, so I decided to disguise that by some imagined digging up and also added a filled in trench for newly installed lights and area where an old shelter existed, also blended all that in with the ballast, as repeated vacuuming round there from having to remove plastic scrapings meant some of the ballast chippings disappeared.

post-850-0-35119200-1307125135_thumb.jpg

Hi

Great progress as usual. I wondered if you'd considered adding some backboards round the outside. I found a massive improvement to the 'look and feel' when I installed mine. It helps to frame it.

And your ballasting progress puts me to shame....

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks,

The layout has provision for backscenes and/or low relief structures, but as I can only run my trains on this layout in the living room, it has to be portable at short notice.

ATM I haven't made any, as this would be yet another thing to assemble and disassemble, but would be desirable.

Adding backscenes means the layout forms a box-like structure that protects the track and structures, and allow me to place details on it like lamp posts without damage, but I've no room to stack it away in that mode and "Horniman Park" is designed so that I can move it--if needed to--without harm to myself.

Thanks,

The layout has provision for backscenes and/or low relief structures, but as I can only run my trains on this layout in the living room, it has to be portable at short notice.

ATM I haven't made any, as this would be yet another thing to assemble and disassemble, but would be desirable.

Adding backscenes means the layout forms a box-like structure that protects the track and structures, and allow me to place details on it like lamp posts without damage, but I've no room to stack it away in that mode and "Horniman Park" is designed so that I can move it--if needed to--without harm to myself.

I now see your quandary - pros/cons etc.

Anyway, I still think it's great.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I'd rather run something than nothing (half glass full, goes the saying), even with huge compromises!

My main motivation for posting these efforts here is I'm trying to show fellow RMWebbers--young or old, novice or old hand--that anything's possible, even if you live on your own in a (rented) flat, my message to you is don't worry if it's roundy-roundy and looks toy-like, it's your own effort.

If I complete this football stand, that'll be yet another distinctive feature, however I've yet to decide on a fictitious name for the club, but this will be posted here anyway.

There are also other odds and ends to do:

Paint and weather the track and ballast;

Finish the road overbridge as shown in post 4;

Blend scenery wise, the factory unit;

Refurbish the Hornby kit-built church, shown in earlier postings, in temporary store

and maybe others as they crop up ...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Over Xmas I spent time weathering the track, including painting the rail sides and dirtying the ballast especially near platforms where fuel and general rubbish accumulates (I don't have an airbrush). This is the overall aerial view below:

post-850-0-47938500-1325519304_thumb.jpg

Also, this is a closer-up view near the level crossing (fittings not attached at this stage):

post-850-0-10121200-1325519859_thumb.jpg

And, near the platforms emphasising the different weathering:

post-850-0-48601700-1325520037_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-82351900-1325520137_thumb.jpg

(excuse the shiny platform, I didn't wipe all the water off before taking this photo)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

A word of encouragement for those who have had to store their layouts for ages due to personal circumstances.

In May 2013 I had to cocoon this layout in heavy duty plastic sheeting because of a move to a new flat. My initial tenancy agreement was for six months but once that expired I then signed up for another 12 month tenancy at the same address. In the meantime I was reluctant to unwrap it because I was also sorting out a lot of my other possessions at the same time.

post-850-0-02894400-1387991263_thumb.jpg

At last, today, I've unwrapped it and to my pleasant surprise very little needs attention.

post-850-0-34948400-1387991827_thumb.jpg

Parts of the Ratio concrete fence need regluing and the card pavements have gone wavy in two places. One other card wall needs re-fixing.

In any case, buildings and other loose fittings and fixtures were stored separately for the move. I'm keeping the plastic sheeting in case I have to move or to store the layout for months at a time.

• RMweb Premium

When I bagged this layout up in May, I didn't seal to make it fully airtight as I knew it was going into a spare room and not up into a loft.

However I regularly checked it and saw no signs of moisture even when the spare room got cold.

• RMweb Premium

One other result of my move meant I had less room to store accessories off the layout and many of the extras such as my church, office block, road bridge and factory featured in earlier posts were disposed of.

My layout has to be stacked away after use, however, from experience on how the existing fittings survived after being cocooned in plastic sheeting, I could model structures that were no taller than 6cm (just over 2 inches) and still get away with the structure permanently mounted on the board.

This morning I began a quickie project to scratchbuild open air football terracing using balsa and some florist's wire.

post-850-0-28214900-1388240104_thumb.jpg

I already own a scratchbuilt larger football stand as seen in earlier posts, but due to its size could only place it on the board as a separate item. The new structure is smaller and will need to be properly incorporated onto the layout but at least I can have something which stays on the board all the time.

post-850-0-86131400-1388240376_thumb.jpg

Archived