Prototype Deltic DP1

Pandora

Just arrived back from a Saturday at Warley show.

Two stands had Deltic for sale, at close of first day of show two left at £89.99.

Good looking model and ran well on exhibition.

The loco on the Bachmann test track had marker lights with blue leds instead of yellow or white, that seems to be the only flaw

Worth the wait.

Dealers should have them during the next 7 days

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to pick up a Graham Farish DELTIC DP1 (372-920) model at the recent Warley 2010 Exhibition. I have posted a number of photos of the loco, for those who may undecided whether to purchase the loco.

I shall not review the model but I will say that it is very finely detailed and the printing is superb. I have taken some closeups that show this. The model claims to be 6-pin DCC ready, though I have not yet taken the body off.

I hope you like the photos.

Well done to Bachmann Farish for a superb model!

Cheers,

Ixion.

DELTIC Front, angled view:

post-6532-023475900 1290459855_thumb.jpg

DELTIC Side view:

post-6532-077260800 1290459881_thumb.jpg

DELTIC Name:

post-6532-015412200 1290459866_thumb.jpg

DELTIC EE Logo:

post-6532-034202800 1290459893_thumb.jpg

DELTIC Works Panel:

post-6532-058245500 1290459906_thumb.jpg

DELTIC Nose:

post-6532-028117700 1290459843_thumb.jpg

DELTIC Nose Works Plate (fantastic!):

post-6532-050809500 1290460147_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to pick up a Graham Farish DELTIC DP1 (372-920) model at the recent Warley 2010 Exhibition. I have posted a number of photos of the loco, for those who may undecided whether to purchase the loco.

I shall not review the model but I will say that it is very finely detailed and the printing is superb. I have taken some closeups that show this. The model claims to be 6-pin DCC ready, though I have not yet taken the body off.

I hope you like the photos.

Well done to Bachmann Farish for a superb model!

Cheers,

Ixion.

Thanks for posting such great pictures.

I saw them for salr on Cheltenham's stand when I bought my B1. I was sorely tempted but wanted the B1 and really couldn't justify to myself buying both. I'm now left thinking I should have done those close-up pics show just how good it is - truly stunning, what a model!

Regards

Roy

I was fortunate to get one at Warley this weekend too. I am very pleased with the finish the detail and the running qualities although it did take a good few hours on DC to get it running really sweetly :-)

Now anyone tried to put a chip in one yet? I am having trouble getting the bodyshell off of the chasis. The exploded diagram shows a two piece bodyshell - upper and lower which includes the fuel tanks - not quite sure how hard to ease and pull the upper bodyshell for fear of breaking something or scratching it - at least it is a tight fit!

Is there directional lighting on the model?

As you can see from the 'in service pictures' on the link, the built-in lights were rarely used, and then just the RH one only looking at the front. You could add a couple of LNER pattern round-bodied oil headlamps to the front to good effect, though.

I was fortunate to get one at Warley this weekend too. I am very pleased with the finish the detail and the running qualities although it did take a good few hours on DC to get it running really sweetly :-)

Now anyone tried to put a chip in one yet? I am having trouble getting the bodyshell off of the chasis. The exploded diagram shows a two piece bodyshell - upper and lower which includes the fuel tanks - not quite sure how hard to ease and pull the upper bodyshell for fear of breaking something or scratching it - at least it is a tight fit!

Hi Madmax,

Yes I've put a 6 pin DZ125IN inside mine. The bodyshell is a tight fit, I gently inserted a couple of modelling knife blades and very carefully worked them down each side. Then I switched to using my finger nails and worked on one end until the body overcame the ridges at that end.

Yes, it's a beautiful model.

Hope that helps.

Nigel H

Hi Madmax,

Yes I've put a 6 pin DZ125IN inside mine. The bodyshell is a tight fit, I gently inserted a couple of modelling knife blades and very carefully worked them down each side. Then I switched to using my finger nails and worked on one end until the body overcame the ridges at that end.

Yes, it's a beautiful model.

Hope that helps.

Nigel H

Thanks yes I've done mine now! Took a while to get the courage to pull both sides apart in the middle enough to get in a fingernail both sides - then you need another hand to pull it off - definitely a three-handed job. I have put in an old Zimo chip and it runs like a dream. It did take about 8 hours running to loosen up enough though. Just need some more crimson and cream coaches to offset the light blue...

Next job detailing the nr 1 end with the air pipes and then soundblink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

what is the cosmetic difference between the model that is included in the Mersey Express set and the standard issue. Most pictures of the real loco are in black and white, so i can't tell what these will be.... thanks for help

I was wondering the same thing, since a couple of retailers are listing that the Deltic in the Merseyside Express sert is unique to the set.

Looking at pictures the one in the set seems to be lighter blue and have a much whiter roof, but whether those are accurate is anyones guess at this stage.

I'm also interested to know if the Stanier coaches in the set have different running numbers from the previous released ones (the Granite City express had unique Mk1's so Farish have done this before). I guess we'll have to wait till someone gets their hands on one to find out.

R E Faust

• RMweb Gold

I agree great model could you please tell me how you know which is no 1 end :rolleyes:

Ian

look at the centre roof section, the extra port on the roof is at the #1 end, there is also a small extra grille at cantrail height (on both sides), this is at the #2 end of this roof panel.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at pictures the one in the set seems to be lighter blue and have a much whiter roof, but whether those are accurate is anyones guess at this stage.

Both are correct.

The train set version is finished in the paint scheme the loco carried whilst in service. Before it was handed over to the Science Museum (which went on to become the NRM), it went back to English Electric for a re-paint using slightly different colours and it is in this livery that the non train set version is finished in.

What DCC address have people given it? Given that it never carried a number I went for 1, as in DP1.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The Merseyside sets arrived at my local store today. Whilst not my scale, I could not resist a peek, and what a fantastic model!

I had just parted with my cash for the new 7F, but for a few pounds less with track controller and coaches, this is a steal!

N

Both are correct.

The train set version is finished in the paint scheme the loco carried whilst in service. Before it was handed over to the Science Museum (which went on to become the NRM), it went back to English Electric for a re-paint using slightly different colours and it is in this livery that the non train set version is finished in.

Steven B.

Actually I was referring to the accuracy of the photos, not the livery, as colours can often be inaccurate to the real thing if the pictures are not taken with appropriate white balance.

R E Faust

Having the same thoughts - Holt seem to about the cheapest £96.60 inc postage (advance order) for Merseyside Express

Considering you're getting £25 quid plus worth of the excellent recent Stanier coaches and the loco livery is unique to the set that is looking very tempting indeed...

R E Faust

Archived