Prototype Deltic DP1

Pandora

Hi Gang;

Picked up my 'as preserved' model for 75 notes at Wigan on Saturday.

Got round to testing it on the test track last night and it is an exquisite model. Well worth the money.

Might try and work out a way to yello or dull down the LED lighting though.

Later;

STU from EGDL

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

Guest no1stpaddy

Stunning loco in N gauge, at last we are getting the same specification as european manufacturers from Farish and Dapol. Just need Farish to produce a Class 55 to the same standard as DP1.

For those wanting the set, Taw Valley Trains have it for £94.25 including postage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello gentleman, what a great little thread this is.

I have some questions regarding the Merseyside Express set, I do not have any English N (I only have recent production Arnold in my collection) and was wondering if anybody can elobrate more on the quality of these models. My questions being:

Do these models heat up with use?

Are they silent runners?

How good is the Farish track in comparison to Peco or Arnold (the new production stuff)?

How does the set model compare to the individually boxed model, are they of the same specification in terms of mech and level of finish?

Anybody managed to put an ESU loksound mini sound decoder in one of these yet?

How big is the set box?

Lots of questions!! But I hope someone can help address these little points for me so that I may make an informed purchase.

I attach a picture of one of my N gauge ladies:

arncrock3.jpg

Stef

Do these models heat up with use?

With the latest mechanisms generally no as they draw so little current (<75mA)

Are they silent runners?

Yes more or less. There is always slight wheel/rail interface noise, but that's the same on any model, any scale.

How good is the Farish track in comparison to Peco or Arnold (the new production stuff)?

Farish used to use Peco track, though I'm not sure if they do now.

How does the set model compare to the individually boxed model, are they of the same specification in terms of mech and level of finish?

Models are identical in specification and level of finish. The set Deltic depicts it at an ealier point in its life, with slightly different blue finish. This is accurate.

Regards,

Alan

Farish used to use Peco track, though I'm not sure if they do now.

They now produce their own though a limited number of pieces (standard and double straight, 22 1/2 and 45 degree curves in first radius, all compatible with Peco Setrack and mixes in fine with that, though not identical in appearance.

• RMweb Premium

I have some questions regarding the Merseyside Express set, I do not have any English N (I only have recent production Arnold in my collection)

Remember that British N scale is 1:148 (everywhere else uses 1:160) so won't match Arnold exactly, though the models will of course run on the same track.

Are they silent runners?

Mine is slightly noisier than my Farish Class 37 but I think that's due to individual variation as the mechanisms are very similar.

Anybody managed to put an ESU loksound mini sound decoder in one of these yet?

* :D

I attach a picture of one of my N gauge ladies:

Very nice :)

*yes I know the Prototype didn't sound exactly like this but it gives an impression.

Hi

Here you go a couple of photos on how to remove the bogies. All you need to do is pull them off. See the lip below the 2 silver pick ups this is what holds them in. Pull at a slight angle.

010.jpg

009.jpg

I got mine posted out to Australia before Christmas and the postage was very cheap. It is not a very big box but I cannot give you any dimensions.

I have never seen a Deltic or any English locos but I can tell you the finish is A1 a brilliant job. Coaches are very highly detailed also .The cab detail is beautiful and painted up, crew and a cab light I will look very good. I would easily give this set 9/10.

By the way was their generally 2 drivers in the cab for this era and what did the drivers wear, a uniform? What colour?

I have started adding sound to mine but I still have not decided on Zimo or Loksound. I am waiting for the new Zimo MX646 to arrive and then I will decide. Plenty of other work to do to it before the chip and speaker go in.

Best of luck getting the bogies off.

Martin

I recently got the set from Taw Valley at the bargain price. My friend has the non set version. Straight from the box, his ran quieter and smoother. I oiled mine thoroughly and ran it in for a good few hours. The loco is now almost silent and runs very smoothly. Very pleased with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

T

hanks to everybody for the help, Martin, can you please tell me how much space is inside the body for putting a sound decoder in?

I think I will be putting my order in next week!

Stef

Plenty of space even more if you remove the PCB board and hardwire it. It will take a Lok micro with a 16x25mm sealed speaker or a Zimo with with the QSI 14x24mm oval speaker.

Best of luck, if you get stuck pm me.

m

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got my original-liveried DP1 from Rails of Sheffield last week, so it seems they've got a new batch in. Livery looks spot on for 50s/60s layouts compared with the preserved one. Plus the box contained a Merseyside Express headboard! Brilliant!

• 1 month later...

Hi

Here are a couple of photos of the Deltic cab is this right for the Farish one, the colours of the cab? I want to paint the cab the correct colours. I have a couple of the Merseyside Express Set.

Here is the link

Class 55 Deltic Cab

Class 55 Deltic Cab

I will add a cab light I assume their was only 1 light see photo.

Class 55 Deltic Cab

Thanks

Martin

Archived