10000/10001

Pandora

My goodness! :blink: Did anybody actually order any in the first place?!

(Sorry, couldn't resist :lol: )

Yeah, and they still have not announced a price reduction. The possibility is that Dapol may well have produced their version first, almost a year ahead of Bachmann, and you never know it might just be OK! But I agree they have no track record with locos although some of their modern image wagons seem good. The non arrival of the class 22 gives us no chance of assessing their competence and the longer they take to produce the twins, and hence the closer to Bachmann's release,(in the green liveries) the more likely people will cancel at the much higher price. (after dealer discounts, you will almost get both for the Hattons price for one!)

• 3 months later...

I've tried searching for old posts on this subject but can't find the info I need. I believe the Twins were used on Blackpool-Euston during their first spell on the LMR. I recently found a photo of 10000 in LMS black at St.Anne's on Sea, and a few months back there were some photos on ebay of a Twin leaving Blackpool, which went for quite high prices. Sadly, I didn't note which Twin(s) & the dates. However, I seem to recall seeing a photo in one of the monthly mags, about a year ago (?) of one of them at Preston on a Blackpool train, but I haven't been able to track it down. The thing is, I placed an order for one of the Twins on the strength of this photo. This was several months ago, & my recollection was that I had ordered 10001 in its earliest (BR black, large logo) livery. When I found the picture of 10000 at St. Anne's, I thought I'd have that model as well. When I logged onto Rails' site I discovered that I had in fact ordered 10000 in the early BR guise! So did I make a mistake when I placed my original order, or had I mis-remembered the loco in the Preston photo?

Does anyone recall the Preston photo, or any other which would help me decide which versions I want? The only important criterion is that the loco is on a working to/from the Fylde. As the release dates for the Rails/Hatton's models approach I need to make my decision soon...

On a similar note, some of you may have seen a photo of the Deltic prototype apparently coming off the Blackpool line at Preston, with a train of smart blood & custard ex-LMS stock, the impressive spire of St. Walburge's in the background. It seems to have been an English Electric publicity shot, which raises the question: was it actually working a train from the Fylde, or had it been posed there for the shoot? Can anyone confirm if DP1 actually worked a train, whether in service or on test, on the Fylde? At least one of the Twins did & so did DP2, and before the War, Dick, Kerr as well as the LMS tried out various experimental MUs in the area, so it's quite plausible.

I would be grateful for any info on the above.

The book lms diesel locos states that both were used on london blackpool trains between 49 and 52, usually at the tail end of the year (the quick look i had the other day sugested july onwards). No mention of them opertating in multi though.

DS Smith

The book lms diesel locos states that both were used on london blackpool trains between 49 and 52, usually at the tail end of the year (the quick look i had the other day sugested july onwards). No mention of them opertating in multi though.

DS Smith

Thanks Cheesysmith! I think the first livery version for each loco would fit the bill. Not sure I need a fancy wooden box so I'll get them separately if it's cheaper that way.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

From what I've seen of the various samples which have been going the rounds for quite a while now.....the last being at Barrow Hill last Saturday.....he's 'on the money'. What,I think ,primarily,sets it apart from the Dapol offering is a more prototypical ride height above the chassis. A model I have been relishing for quite a while........and I already have a FIA Trains 10000......greedy boy! My tip for diesel 'Model Of The Year'. I now await the howls of disagreement........never mind,it'll be an interesting debate. P.S....the FIA Trains is probably the very best R-T-R in my fleet but is a tad temperamental with some sections of track.

• RMweb Premium

Message from Rails this morning, the green ones are set for a November release, looking at them in Model Rail they are stunning locos to look at, if they run as well as the Deltic they will be very popular locos indeed. I suspect if they are at Warley there will be a lot of happy people.

• RMweb Premium

Has Rails given any more indication as to when the black ones will arrive?

No they did not unfortunately, I am only in the market for a green one. But I guess they will be soon-ish

Spoke to them in the shop last week and they reckon the black ones will be next year now.

I thought it would be now, I heard it mentioned a month or 2 ago that they weren't too sure but just wondered if anything had been set in stone yet (as far as can be with these things)

Thanks for up date though

• RMweb Gold

I will start the ball rolling... though I have one on order I agree with the Model Rail review about the brow above the windscreen. The prototype seems  to be lower, were as the model is higher giving a wider appearance to the front of the loco.

Paul

See post 86 above. There is a fine line to be drawn between a prototypical 'ride height' and the necessary limits on the track of most layouts. Comments have been made on this forum recently concerning some r-t-r diesels fouling bodywork on certain radii. Putting it simply ,there has to be sufficient clearance to sustain acceptable track performance.A faithful-to-scale model would probably spend its existence 'on display' in a cabinet.

If you look at Hattons Dapol offering,you will notice a vast improvement in this area with the Bachmann version.All I can say is.....having seen them recently in the flesh.....Bachmann seem to have achieved the best of both worlds

See post 86 above. There is a fine line to be drawn between a prototypical 'ride height' and the necessary limits on the track of most layouts. Comments have been made on this forum recently concerning some r-t-r diesels fouling bodywork on certain radii. Putting it simply ,there has to be sufficient clearance to sustain acceptable track performance.A faithful-to-scale model would probably spend its existence 'on display' in a cabinet.

If you look at Hattons Dapol offering,you will notice a vast improvement in this area with the Bachmann version.All I can say is.....having seen them recently in the flesh.....Bachmann seem to have achieved the best of both worlds

I think he was talking about the brow giving it a wider front appearance, rather than ride height.

• RMweb Gold

This sort of discussion always amuses me.

We talk about the look of a model loco, the prototype of which went to the gas axe about 50 years ago, when all we have to compare it with is two-dimensional photos taken with a variety of lenses at all sorts of angles.

For what it's worth here is my shot of 10001 in the Bachmann showcase today. Compared with the late green nyp version of 10000 the shape of the cab looks totally different to my eyes. After studying them for a few minutes I decided that the difference in the roof painting makes the height of the cab front look different.

post-9767-0-39390600-1381008092.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This sort of discussion always amuses me.

We talk about the look of a model loco, the prototype of which went to the gas axe about 50 years ago, when all we have to compare it with is two-dimensional photos taken with a variety of lenses at all sorts of angles.

For what it's worth here is my shot of 10001 in the Bachmann showcase today. Compared with the late green nyp version of 10000 the shape of the cab looks totally different to my eyes. After studying them for a few minutes I decided that the difference in the roof painting makes the height of the cab front look different.

attachicon.gifPA050038 (640x383).jpg

I quite agree SE - it's something over 50 years since I last saw one of these locos 'in the flesh' and that was in any case from ground level in Willesden shed and quite bluntly I haven't got a clue if 'the brow' looks too big or too small but overall the loco looks right to my memory of half a century ago (although I haven't see the model from the equivalent of ground level inside a loco shed ;) ).

Archived