Who makes brass OO gauge GWR wagon Kits ?

I know Falcon Brassworks do a range of OO gauge GWR wagon kits but I am not sure if they are still operating. They also do not have a phone number or email address and that makes it difficult to place an order from Australia. Does anybody else make GWR brass wagon kits in OO gauge ?

• RMweb Gold

I know Falcon Brassworks do a range of OO gauge GWR wagon kits but I am not sure if they are still operating. They also do not have a phone number or email address and that makes it difficult to place an order from Australia. Does anybody else make GWR brass wagon kits in OO gauge ?

What kit are you after Brian out of interest.

Does anybody else make GWR brass wagon kits in OO gauge ?

OTTOMH

Southwark Models - do some GWR among them Toads and wonderful hoppers (lots of LWSR kits too) they are really good kits, 1st class instructions but not for the beginner

Dragon Models - also very good - the later kits come with instructions that contain build photos - inspirational! Also very good kits - though really Welsh GWR precursors.

Frogmore Confederacy (via Dart Castings) - more Toads - above average quality (but not perfect) - soon to appear on a blog near you ;)

All the above answer the phone and email and are very helpful (though remember the time difference if calling by phone - these are not big businesses an may be asleep when you are awake ;)

I would steer clear of the Falcon ones unless you are desperate to do a lot of scratch building and start by replacing the chassis.

There is a reasonably comprehensive list here of all GWR wagon kits by our very own Mikkel: GWR.org - kits

Richard

Sadly many of the ones listed are neither brass (eg David Geen - whitemetal, Parkside & Coopercraft - plastic) or still available (pocket Money) ... a few are not worth looking for even if you are desperate !

Decent wagon brass kits in 4mm are becoming quite a rarity in the market place and for some reason generally restricted to brake vans.

7mm is better served - but even so ...

I was particularly interested in the engineers department wagons : permanent way van, ballast plough van, tool van, single bolsters etc. Not too many manufacturers make these types of wagon kits.

I order items from the UK all the time. I call at midnight my time which makes it mid afternoon over there ; I just quote my card number and things are here in about ten days.

There is also Blacksmith Models - http://www.blacksmit....com/kits_1.htm

I understand that this business may have been recently sold or is up for sale in any case...dilbert

Good for brown stock - the N13 Horsebox is a fine example (if a bit of a challenge IMO) I haven't attempted the Loriot yet and they do of course do the unique Manure wagon :D (which despite its prototype numbers - every layout should have one :D )

I understand you problems with paying by credit card. Not every small supplier can afford the swinging costs added by the banks for having such a facility.

Bill Bedford does a P4 permanent way wagon, and Blacksmith do a few others...

Nick

Worth noting the brakes are backward on Bill's pw wagon. You can turn them around but lose all the detail.

Great Western N30 Loco Coal Wagon from Dragon Models, nice wagon kit to build although not so much engineers in your period. Compensated instead of sprung too which is a pity.

The Southwark Bridge ballast hopper seems ideal for you though.

Have you read Model Rail Railway Moddeller adverts. Look for Agenoria Models they have just introduced some new stuff,I just finished 2 scratch built Bullionvans and they have a kit for ??35

That is interesting - do you know if they are reductions from 7mm kits or new kits?

Also are there any wagons listed?

From what I have seen of his loco kits they could be of a high standard.

Worth noting the brakes are backward on Bill's pw wagon. You can turn them around but lose all the detail.

Just dug mine out ... I'd assembled it the right way round because I always assemble brake parts by looking at them until I know how they were meant to work, not by reading instructions, then assemble them that way. You are right, though, there is more detail on the back :rolleyes:

Nick

Just dug mine out ... I'd assembled it the right way round because I always assemble brake parts by looking at them until I know how they were meant to work, not by reading instructions, then assemble them that way. You are right, though, there is more detail on the back :rolleyes:

Nick

Yes that's how I build brakes and therefore how I noticed. Its the same with his 16T mineral underframe. It would have been just as simple to 1/2 etch both sides too!

[naive mode]

if you half-etch the same detail on both sides - don't you get thin air ?

[/naive mode[

The brakes are two layers folded up with a third layer of etch popped in between, only one side of the fold up was 1/2 etched (the wrong one as it happens). On my own kits i've folded lengthways with the brakes incidentally to give you more control and a more sturdy piece to make the fold on, they are also 4 layers thick which gives 4 layers of detail per side and something closer to scale thickness.

Yes if you etch 1/2 through on both sides of the same piece you would indeed get thin air!

Archived