Farish Class 101

TomE

Very nice. The finish appears great, especially the way the window frames and door handles have been neatly picked out. Shame about that huge coupling gap; why can't they display it with shorter internal couplers fitted and the ones at the ends removed to have it looking even better? Just a little more care in presentation would make it so much more attractive and have even more people cooing over N gauge.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Shame about that huge coupling gap; why can't they display it with shorter internal couplers fitted and the ones at the ends removed to have it looking even better?

Quite agree, that gap looks even worse than on the old model.

• RMweb Gold

Looking superb but agree totally about the coupler comments. There really should be a close coupler system within the unit along with the NEM sockets on the driving ends.

Apart from that niggle (which I'm sure is easily rectified), what a cracking little unit. Hope it appears in NSE...laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

I believe Farish indicated the chances of a NSE 108 were quite slim due to sales of the OO version not being great, but I could be wrong.

It is a shame they haven't worked out a way to install the close coupling system from the Mk1s into their units, even just in the non powered trailer. It would make a huge difference.

Tom.

I believe Farish indicated the chances of a NSE 108 were quite slim due to sales of the OO version not being great,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Their logic always ceased to amaze me :O

as for the coulping distance - i guess it'll come supplied some shorter couplings - like the 150 - I know its not 'true' close coupling though :(

tfn

jon

Nice to see the regional 101 doesn't have radio pods moulded on , like the lima version.

Conwy Valley, early 1990's anyone?

I was thinking Tamar Valley , early 1990s :) the regional unit will do very nicely.

tfn

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe Farish indicated the chances of a NSE 108 were quite slim due to sales of the OO version not being great, but I could be wrong.

They also said that would not do electric traction in N gauge because the old Farish electric locos they had in the range were very poor sellers - the worst of the lot apparently. But look what's about to be released; an electric class 350 Desiro and an electric class 410 4-CEP.

Fortunately things change and what they say is not always what they mean or do. Bring on some NSE stock. :yahoo:

G.

• 5 weeks later...

Did anyone pick up from MREMAG yesterday that the 371-501 Class 101 2-car DMU in Regional Railways livery Nos.51533 + 51224 has left the factory in China and is on it's way to shops in the UK? This is good news as they were cited for August/September delivery, and while they still have to be shipped to the UK, clear Customs and be sent to retailers, at least they're on their way, and hopefully the other liveries won't be too far behind!!

• 3 months later...

Just reading the review of the 101 in the latest NGS journal and I note that one small but nice feature is included in the new 101 - switchable lights. So they can apparently be switched off if required. A nice touch, and great for multiple running.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold
Also the NGS review referred to it being happy pulling a couple of coaches - what chance Bachfarish releasing unmotorised versions of the 101 and 108 to allow for 2x2 car formations etc.

Yes, that would be a nice touch...but seems to be more Dapol's way of doing things...

Am happy to just get hold of a powered one after waiting so long for it to be retooled...!

I'm sure I read somewhere that Bachmann have no plans to make unpowered versions of any of their engines or multiple units. It seems they don't see it as commercially viable, but Dapol seem to take the opposite view. It does seem daft to many they have no plans for an unpowered class 20. Of all the classes that ran in multiple that seems the obvious one

I suspect the way the current Farish DMUs are designed doesn't lend itself to giving sufficent cost benfit by dropping the motor and gear train out to give an unpowered version, and this has probably never been a design consideration to Bachmann. Dapol obviously did consider this

Archived