Farish Class 101

TomE

I haven't seen anyone mention that these have hit the streets now - green 2 car, green 3 car, Regional Railways 2 car, all blue 2 car. Very nice they look too, I had a look at them in the shop. I picked up a green 2 car version with small yellow warning panels. It runs smoothly out of the box. Mine is an Eastern Region unit with headcodes "B2" and destinations Hunstanton/Kings Lynn.

I have fitted DCC decoders, I found that the top on the power car was a very tight fit and I needed to be very careful of the delicate exhaust when removing the top. It came off with a combination of thumbnail and scalpel blade being inserted either side positioned near the steps towards the rear.

It's a very nice looking model, streets ahead of the old 101 and I'm very happy with mine (I also have 3 car unit on order as my local supplier has sold out).

Nigel H.

Have they hit the streets? They haven't turned up at my local shop, and I have been keeping a beady eye out for their arrival as I really want one of the Blue and Grey 3 car sets. I know that BachFar had scheduled the first tranche of 101 releases for a Sept/Oct release but as they had not been announced on any of the box shifter's sites I had assumed that there had been delays due to shipping/customs, and the blue/grey ones were always going to be about 4 - 6 weeks later!

AFAIK from dialogue with my local stockist last weekend, the ones already reviewed in the inkies, most recently the plain economy Blue version, was going through Customs when the rep visited the shop and updated them, this time last week.

EDIT: what he said!

Blue and Grey six weeks behind then?

Hattons are now advertising that the class 101's are now in stock - sorry if I appeared to doubt you Nigel, but they have been a long time in coming! Mind you the BachFar web site has yet to be updated as its still showing all items as being due in the next 60 days, including the two blue and grey versions of the 101 (3 car set and parcels livery). I wonder if they will arrive for Warley?

Linners

Hattons are now advertising that the class 101's are now in stock - sorry if I appeared to doubt you Nigel, but they have been a long time in coming! Mind you the BachFar web site has yet to be updated as its still showing all items as being due in the next 60 days, including the two blue and grey versions of the 101 (3 car set and parcels livery). I wonder if they will arrive for Warley?

Linners

It looks like the Regional Railways version has sold out within 24 hours at Hattons!

Still plenty of smaller places listing them as in-stock even if the Liverpudlian emporium has sold out. ;)

Interesting as previously sectorisation has not sold as well as earlier versions. With more stuff to run it with (150s, 153s, 156s etc) I wonder if we are now reaching the "critical" mass where sectorisation era RR are really viable? Is an NSE 101 planned? I wonder if we will see a blooming of this era?

Still plenty of smaller places listing them as in-stock even if the Liverpudlian emporium has sold out. ;)

Interesting as previously sectorisation has not sold as well as earlier versions. With more stuff to run it with (150s, 153s, 156s etc) I wonder if we are now reaching the "critical" mass where sectorisation era RR are really viable? Is an NSE 101 planned? I wonder if we will see a blooming of this era?

The RR ones lasted a very long time - until 2003(?) - so their life goes way beyond sectorisation. Most people will remember them around Manchester in their last few years, running alongside privatised liveries such as NWT and Virgin.

• RMweb Premium

The 101s lasted in service until December 2003, the final survivors wore Regional Railways, Strathclyde orange, and the one-offs "Daisy" green 101 685 and Strathclyde blue 101 692, in fact plenty of opportunities to bring out limited editions.

Harburn Hobbies/Model Rail brought out a limited edition Strathclyde 107 3-car unit in OO but who knows they might do the same in N.

Having looked at Farish's images they're doing a Scottish Region post-1985 3-car unit with orange cantrail stripes, white destination apertures and lower rail blue bands, the width of the lower blue bands depended on where the units got repainted.

...in fact plenty of opportunities to bring out limited editions...

You're absolutely right, and not just the 101's either. I would love to see the NSE livery applied more widely, and the Tren Y Cwm (Valley lines) logo as well (not on the same units mind!)

Hi Chaps,

Here's a couple of shots of my 101 in Regional livery which arrived today, just waiting the blue/grey version now. This really is excellent, smooth running & the detail is superb :D

Here's a couple of shots for you...

post-5923-0-82200300-1320527510.jpg

post-5923-0-85509500-1320527512.jpg

post-5923-0-92989500-1320527516.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

I'm sure I read somewhere that Bachmann have no plans to make unpowered versions of any of their engines or multiple units. It seems they don't see it as commercially viable, but Dapol seem to take the opposite view. It does seem daft to many they have no plans for an unpowered class 20. Of all the classes that ran in multiple that seems the obvious one

I agree with the sentiment, When first introduced from the photographic evidence I can find 20's were often used singly, but in later years were almost always seen in pairs with cabs outwards. I believe visibility when running bonnet first was a bit of a challenge?

I do tend to agree that for this specific loco an unpowered version (Or a boxed set pair powered and unpowered, especially given that the unpowered one could also have provision made for sound) would appear to be a good idea, However, if we assume having alternative tooling for a specific unpowered loco chassis is immediately discounted, then how much of the powered one would need to be used/left off? Would it be worth it? Probably not. Would Bachamnn prefer us to buy two powered ones instead? I suspect therein lies the answer.

Dapol have seemingly made a different decision and see a market in releasing unpowered diesel locos in some cases. All down to a business decision at the end of the day, Whether it is a good or not so good decision will depend on sales, and all I would say is that there appear to be no unpowered Dapol 26's planned and plenty of their unpowered Hymeks around going fairly cheap.

Regards

Roy

Dapol have seemingly made a different decision and see a market in releasing unpowered diesel locos in some cases. All down to a business decision at the end of the day, Whether it is a good or not so good decision will depend on sales, and all I would say is that there appear to be no unpowered Dapol 26's planned and plenty of their unpowered Hymeks around going fairly cheap.

I believe that Dapol are doing unpowered class 26s for Rails (Sheffield) as part of a twin pack - locos in green with headcode discs.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks, the RR set is very good and looks and runs well. In Brian Morrisons book BR dmu and railcars pub 1998 is a pic of 101660 in RR livery with no NRN roof pod/ plate. Some of the sets were fitted with RETB series 3 for East Sufolk line and had differing areials. Also 101655 dated August 1992. , roof right for model for this one , 101680 has the vent free roof. but patches instead.

The model is shown as a Birmingam - Nottingham service which dates it around 1994 when the 101s were under RR central and trasfered away from Norwich in favour of 156s. the 101s then worked around West midlands and were common on the Rugby - Crewe stoppers. or Leicester - BHM - Shrewsbury workings if no sprinter to hand. Not common on Cross city as wires up but I did guard one or two on Xcity vice 4 car dmmus... bit cosy.

On the model I changed one inner coupler for a short shank as supplied in bits bag - looks a lot better and happy on 9" curves on Templedean. Two shorts virtually close gap and ideal for display or straight line working !

Looking forward to parcels. For NSE it may be necessary to club together and order a batch ! I hope that Farish having got into departmentals will look at IRIS II I would have thought a 3 car Daisy would sell as well.

Robert Shrives

Archived