Farish Class 101

TomE

hi Re coupling , If you use two short to each other then other than straight track no points terminus is your limit . I have fitted one med and one short to trailer and unite to "power" cars with the opposite size so [short]+[med/short]+[med] if that makes sense and nothing on ends. In this way I can run a power twin and still be close coupled. To note trailer is not configured for lighting as bogie not pin point pick up type so bang goes a quick power trailer set !

Robert

Hello.

I'm new to the forum so hello everyone. Not sure if I am jumping in with the right part of the conversation.

I got my hands on a blue grey 101 last week and it is fantastic, well done Bachmann. To reduce the gap between units I used the short length Dapol couplings which come with their MK3 coaches. May be worth a try if you have any spare but tight curves may still be an issue.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Mine finally arrived in Spain today.

First glimpses look like its been well worth waiting for the upgrade from the old tooling. I only actually need to run it as a two car, but thought I had best have a three car blue/grey and keep that as a spare.

Paul - Haven't looked yet but is it possible to insert a small slither of tracing / grease proof paper as a diffuser?

Just a thought...

edited from my iphone !-)

I only actually need to run it as a two car, but thought I had best have a three car blue/grey and keep that as a spare.

Watch out with the numbering there Pete - you've got a power twin on your hands now!

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Watch out with the numbering there Pete - you've got a power twin on your hands now!

Yikes...didn't think of that... :no:

Hmmm...more research required.

Thanks for the heads up Steve!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Quite a number of threes became power twins over the years so with removal of front set numbers you should fool most.

As the trailer car not set up for pick ups changing body over will mean jumping power or a fun evening swapping bits about ! Followed by a bit of renumbering!

On 4 CEP i fitted some tamyia masking tape to help defuse the LED and loos much better.

Robert

hi Re coupling , If you use two short to each other then other than straight track no points terminus is your limit .

Robert

I will beg to differ, at least partially.

I put short couplings (item 379-402) between all the cars but needed to snip the dropper off the one coupling fitted to the bogie of the powered car so that this would hang horizontally. I coupled the cars together on a straight piece of track and using a semi-straightened-out paper-clip ensured the couplings were even (this part is not too easy and I needed my 'close-up specs' for that). I turned on the power and watched with baited breath....

In pulling mode no problem even around the one section of track which has "just-tighter-than-first-radius" curves. The corridor connections do rub, but no de-railing and no buffer locking. Maybe the only surgery will be to carefully file <1mm off the corridor connections. But in pushing mode not possible.

OK, I will not understand why Farish did not fit body mounted close coupling gates to the non-powered cars à la MK1 coaches, would have made sense, and a step in the wrong direction, but we're not here to reason why.

Regards

jgp

I'm going to try with some Dapol couplings when they come out in the next few weeks.

OK, I will not understand why Farish did not fit body mounted close coupling gates to the non-powered cars à la MK1 coaches, would have made sense, and a step in the wrong direction, but we're not here to reason why.

Regards

jgp

Why not? I believe Dapol have really got on top of their customer communications with their Facebook page, open days and participation in forums like RMWeb. Whilst some people are overly critical and negative, I expect Dapol find it on the whole a positive experience. It would be good if Bachmann Farish were to do the same, as you say the bogie mounted couplings seem like a backwards step, so if someone from Farish could come on here and explain their logic, I think modellers would appreciate it.

Andy Y, if you see this, how about contacting Farish, and asking them?

ATB

David

PS the fool who follows really ought to think for himself.

Popped into Modelzone in Holborn today and spotted the Express Parcels set has arrived....and very nice it looked.

It's worth noting that this release has both cars powered - I presume the prototype hauled fairly decent trains which would explain the need for additional grunt.

Good donor for anyone needing a pair of DMBS's though, here's mine that's half way to becoming the Plasma Torch Met-Cam lightweight. So far it's had the lights re-done, the lower skirts fitted, bodyside grill filled and the MU connectors fitted. The second power unit was ripped out and put aside for a rainy day (Mmmm, 123). Just need to finish the fibre-optics for the plasma torches, redo the roof vents and dunk it in some blue paint. B)

iphonemabob002.jpg

Cheers,

Pix

• RMweb Premium

The second power unit was ripped out and put aside for a rainy day (Mmmm, 123). Just need to finish the fibre-optics for the plasma torches, redo the roof vents and dunk it in some blue paint. B)

Hi

Isn't the chassis a little short for a 123 as I thought they were 64'6" (46'6" bogie centers).

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

The motor bogies is just a self contained clip-in unit, so I've takenit out the 57 foot frame and will build the 123 chassis to have the bogie clip in too. It's a really neat little design!

Pix

Hi Pix

I didn't realise that. I am using the TPM unit for my 123/124 unit.

Cheers

Paul

I didn't realise that. I am using the TPM unit for my 123/124 unit.

I'll try and grab a photo Paul - it would be a nice accessory to be able to buy on the side, I'm planning on trying Bachmann to get some spares so if it comes off I'll let you know.

Be interested to hear about tour 123/124s - I started off about thinking of using Mk1s and etched sides but now I'm moving towards 3D printing and etched sides to get the right profile. Perhaps something for a PM rather than this thread!

Pix

• RMweb Premium

I bought a three car set at the Wakefield show this weekend and I'm very pleased with it. The only thing I don't like is the overly-bright destination boards. When I open it up to add passengers and decoders I'll have to see if it's possible to add a resistor (or even disconnect them completly).

Only trouble is that I'm now tempted by the plain blue version...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

I bought a three car set at the Wakefield show this weekend and I'm very pleased with it. The only thing I don't like is the overly-bright destination boards. When I open it up to add passengers and decoders I'll have to see if it's possible to add a resistor (or even disconnect them completly).

Hi

I thought the same about the brightness and further up the thread someone suggested inserting greaseproof or tracing paper as a diffuser. Haven't tried this yet as I had enough trouble getting the bodies off to put the DCC decoders in so I thought I would leave it until later. I currently have the lighting brightness CV set to 80 which helps.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

As an OO scale modeller I hadn't looked at this thread before, but then I saw the photos on Hattons website and thought wow.....almost!

Hopefully Bachmann will in due course scale this model up to OO, but if they do I really hope they will make two important changes

I think the windscreen surrounds might be a little overdone... however that's the sort of thing that's hard to judge before you see a painted sample..

Funny that nobody seems to have mentioned this since your post last year BenA. They really do stand out way too far and scaled up to OO will look ridiculous. Flush windscreen surrounds would be a much better option in my view.

Why is the bulkhead solid behind the windscreen when this was glass in the prototype and an outstanding feature?

Gerry

Whatever the reason in N, I certainly hope in OO clear plastic would be possible.

But in the meantime, for once I'm envious of you N-gaugers!

Hi

I thought the same about the brightness and further up the thread someone suggested inserting greaseproof or tracing paper as a diffuser. Haven't tried this yet as I had enough trouble getting the bodies off to put the DCC decoders in so I thought I would leave it until later. I currently have the lighting brightness CV set to 80 which helps.

Cheers

Paul

A better solution would be to use some nd lighting filter, as used in theatre/film to lower the intensity of luminaires. It's available in -1, -2 and -3 stops, and would be heat resistent. Sample books of lighting gel are available free and would include all three varients ;) Lee Lighting are usually happy to send a book out free.

R E Faust

It's worth noting that this release has both cars powered - I presume the prototype hauled fairly decent trains which would explain the need for additional grunt.

I think the reason for the duplication is less scientific than for extra haulage capacity. I believe it is actually because it was more cost-effective to deliver it with two motorised chassis like that than to do tooling for a dummy Driving Motor Brake unique to this model.

Regards

Roy

• 5 weeks later...

Well im more than happy with my 101 BR BLUE 2 CAR ...fitted mine with corridor connection walkthroughs, looks realistic and as i have no 1st radius curves which to me are un-realistic but thats just me, they work perfectly ! the only touchwhich is wrong on these from 50s to late 70s they had lanten lights so i will make or buy them and fit where lights are should give just enough glow through sweet runner both ways on dc so with sound and dcc which i have for her should be great.

Mark.

Archived