Dapol HST

TomE

Enjoyed....to the max...

Thanks for sharing

No worries I am pleased you enjoyed it. Legomanbiffo did the HST soundfile and I stuck it all together. I dont think you will need to sell your car but I loved the comment. I added DCC Concepts "nano lights" and used 4 functions per car for lighting.

I am not a prototypical modeller so most of whats being mentioned by you guys seems to have being fixed. I can say the production models are A1 and Im sure it will put a smile on many a face.

Cheers

Martin

The Swallow livery was the one I was looking at purchasing, but something seems to have gone seriously wrong if the colours of that pic are accurate :(

R E Faust

things to remember that photo is taken in a display cabnet in an artifically lit area. so the light will distort thr colours bud. its also a PRE-production model meaning that it will not be perfect. why not wait for it to be released and wait to see :P

things to remember that photo is taken in a display cabnet in an artifically lit area. so the light will distort thr colours bud. its also a PRE-production model meaning that it will not be perfect. why not wait for it to be released and wait to see :P

Oh I'll gladly wait to see the finished product, in fact I was wondering if the discrepency might be the reason the blue/grey and virgin sets are imminent and swallow livery isn't - in order for some adjustment to be made. Having said that, the lighting conditions don't seem to have affected any other colours in those pictures, and even if the white balance is off, it shouldn't be out to that extent..the area in question seems overly dark as well as green.

If it does turn out that I pass on purchasing, it leaves me with £200 or so for other stuff anyway :D

R E Faust

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify the first batch of HST 'book sets'.

Virgin is .....well Virgin livery,

Blue/Grey is a western region 253 set to go with the western region allocated MK3's we produced.

Intercity 125 is the original livery using executive dark grey upper works (not swallow livery)

Intercity swallow is the revised swallow using Falcon grey upper works (we are releasing MK3 coaches separately to go with this)

However, all is not doom and gloom on this as we are currentl making the FW, GC and XC HST's for delivery later this year and i will slot in a batch of Executive Dark Grey original book sets as well , so dont sell your coaches yet.:)

Any news on the Network Rail NMT book set ? Hattons web site currently says

ND111e

Dapol Model Railways

Class 43 HST Bookset in Network Rail (NMT) livery 43014 + 43062. Due into stock mid 2011

Do they know something ?!

What is to plan with the Dapol HST power cars as twin packs and any news for thier possible release. Like other modellers, I have built up a rake of MK3 TS & TF coaches only requiring the power cars and eventually a TGS & Buffer car so the planned book sets would be of no use to me.

If HST's are only going to be released as book sets with TS/TF coaches, then many modellers are going to up up wih a few surplus coaches if they have already obtained their MK3 TS & TF coaches!!

Dapol, will the power cars eventually be released as twin packs?? I am awaiting the Blue/Grey livery versions.

253 045 was a XC set and EC or NL would have done a power car swap - the stock is a 254 set as it has two TF. When I meant by 'branded' set I meant power cars and trailers being WR 253 stock.

Sorry to dig up this old post, but this needs slight correction

Class 253 sets during the 1980s were formed :

TF+TF+TRUK+TS+TS+TRSB+TS

Later these were revised to :

TF+TF+TRSB/TRUB+TS+TS+TS+TS

Hence, why there are two First Class coaches visible

It wasn't until the mid 1980s when the TGS vehicles were added that one of the First Class coaches was dropped on all the Class 253

TF+TF+TRUK+TS+TS+TRSB+TS

It wasn't until the mid 1980s when the TGS vehicles were added that one of the First Class coaches was dropped on all the Class 253

By 1980 all the WR Class 253 sets (253001-27 and 253028-41 - the latter still being delivered) had already been reduced to one catering vehicle. This being either a TRSB or TRUB, the short lived WR TRUK's had long since been incorporated in-to the first twenty ER Class 254 sets (254001-20).

From memory the TGS vehicles were progressively incoporated in-to the WR Class 253's from mid 1980 onwards. However these replaced an existing TS, not a TF.

There may be some confusion here between the WR Class 253's and the eighteen sets (253042-59) built for the NE-SW services introduced in 1981/82. These had only one TF from the outset.

Due to the intoduction of the TGS vehicles and the (late) decision to reduce the catering provsion from two to one vehicles resulted in a re-shuffle of the the coaches. Therefore not all the TS or TRSB coaches in the NE-SW sets would have been strictly new. Furthermore I believe several surplus prototype Mk3 vehicles were re-used in these sets.

Of course over the years with successive reallocation(s) of the sets (particularly from the WR to the Midland Main Line in 1982/83) resulted in numerous conversions of TF to TS and visa versa. Several surplus TGS vehicles were converted to TS.

TF+TF+TRUK+TS+TS+TRSB+TS

Jonathon covered most issues but I don't think any sets had a TRSB and a TRUB, the only sets with regularly a TRU(F)B and TRU(F)K were the two EC Pullmans which were TF+TF+TRFK+TF+TRFB+TS+TS+TGS, later upgraded to 9 cars with an extra TS. Very occasionally you would see 40513 added to a normal set for private use.

Looking at the Palin episode on the first great railway journeys series gives a good idea of the set make up of EC HSTs in 1980.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification regarding the HST sets. I'm after an Intercity Executive set - there have been no coaches released in this livery yet, have there? I've only seen ones with Swallow branding, not Executive (British Rail font).

I note there are 2 SO coaches down for release in this livery (NC065a & NC065b). Am looking forward to eventually getting a full properly numbered rake in this livery!

Edit: Checking back over the 2011 catalogue, the Blue/Grey models shown have the roof deflectors, but the above model shown in the pictures doesn't. Does the impending book set have them?

Does anyone know the answer to the above question regarding smoke deflectors on the blue-grey power cars now that delivery is imminent? Thanks, Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

News on the Dapol website that Virgin livery HST Book Sets have arrived and are being packed for dispatch, the Blue/Grey version has been delayed at the docks:

and we dont envisage them being sent to shops for around 10 days.

Regards, Gerry.

Hi all

Some photos of the new Dapol production HST.

015.jpg

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Coupling with the standard rapido coupler, very very good.

014.jpg

017.jpg

021-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

Here are my first impressions of the HST. Livery and attention to detail of the actual body are excellent. It must be noted that when it comes to the livery I have never actually seen one so I will leave that to the experts.

Livery and exterior.

I'm my opinion Dapol have captured the essence of the HST. The lines are sharp, crisp and they is a consistent quality through the body. The actual tool used is of very high quality as I could find no flash and no stress marks in the plastic so good cool down time was observed. I really like the hand rails and the fact their is no over spray. ON close inspection the attention to detail is fantastic eg the exhausts are not blanked off they are proper holes, the logos lettering are very sharp and easy to read. My only one concern with the body is the yellow over blue, in saying that you will not notice it any more than 100mm from the loco. All in all I will give the body of the HST 9/10 she just looks the part!

Bogies excellent attention to detail, no flash at all. Gearing has a smooth feel and a very low rolling resistance. Go easy on the lube but otherwise they are very realistic.

Chassis/ Motor housing + interior soldering is excellent, no cold solder joints at all, shiny clean joints what I like to see. 3 pin Molex plug on lighting PCB again board has clean joints. I gave it a good tug and no break on any joint. Wiring is colour coded to suit DCC thats another plus for anyone who wants to hard wire it. It comes with the standard 6 pin NEM plug with plenty of space for a decoder. Wiring harness is neat and user friendly. Some may argue that Dapol should have gone the next step and added 1 red wire on the pick up, I disagree I cannot see the point.

All in all the main part that I work with has being very well engineered, I always considered the Dapol 67 a superb piece of engineering that would be hard to beat well Dapol have set a new bench mark with their HST. A lot of thought has gone into this and I like the little touches, foam dampening around motor. It will help to reduce noise and vibration. As far as the standard modeller is concerned adding a decoder will be very easy. The body comes off readily with minimal pressure and their is plenty of room for decoder of choice.

Lighting is great with head lights and red markers on each unit. Pick ups are stiff so you will get good constant positive contact from both bogies. The dummy will require a separate 2 function decoder to get the full effect in DCC. I ran it in for 1 hour on DCC on the rolling road and then put her through some paces on a small loop I have for testing with some points. No problems at all considering it has bounced all over the place as hand luggage. The motor pulls about 150mA after about 1 hr running in.

Highly recommended I will give this a 9/10 as Dapol have really made an effort here to get it right. I have put a fair few through their paces and no running problems, actually little to note at all. If your unsure go and have a look at one in a hobbyshop you will not be disappointed.

Summed up simply with "Outstanding"

Cheers

Martin

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting.

Roll on the phone call from Alton Model Centre to say its arrived. Out of interest, did you order any extra coaches as well? Just wondering what the rake together looks like?

Thanks

Steve

Thank you Martin for the review and photos. The HST I have on order from Dapol is my first UK model, do you mean that it needs the gears oiling before use (like the class 67 according to Dapol website) when you say...

Bogies excellent attention to detail, no flash at all. Gearing has a smooth feel and a very low rolling resistance. Go easy on the lube but otherwise they are very realistic.

...what oil did you use please? (I know it sounds a stupid question but I have never had to oil one of my European N models out of the box!)

...what oil did you use please? (I know it sounds a stupid question but I have never had to oil one of my European N models out of the box!)

Use something thin like MaGer oil or Daywat oil. Mager can be got from N Brass locos, Daywat from BR Lines. A bottle will last for years.

http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/Road.html

http://www.brlines.com/index.html

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1