Shifting Sands - A Day Trip to Somerthorpe

sandshifter

Shifting Sands - A Day trip to Somerthorpe

by sandshifter

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Sun May 18, 2008 1:54 pm

We decided to head to the coast today, my excuse being that I wanted to try out my new camera. As we went to Cleethorpes only a fortnight ago I suggested to my wife we went to Somerthorpe instead. "Somerwhere?" she asked, "I bet there's a railway there isn't there?" Not replying we set off for the sea, and parked up at the south end of the town near the Thorpe Sands holiday park and Funland. A nearby blast of a whistle confirmed my wife's fears. There was a railway here icon_biggrin.gif

The whistle came from Pandora, the Somerthorpe Miniature Railway's 2-6-2 tank loco:
ShiftingSandsMay001.jpg

Waiting to leave Shifting Sands station:
ShiftingSandsMay002.jpg

Chatting to the chaps in the shed, they let me have a wander around, and I captured this shot just before Pandora set off:
ShiftingSandsMay003.jpg

The diesel loco Intrepid seen from the dunes:
ShiftingSandsMay004.jpg

Thunderbolt is the line's oldest steam loco:
ShiftingSandsMay005.jpg

Don't tell anyone at the council this, but I stood on a litter bin to get this shot:
ShiftingSandsMay008.jpg

The railway's Ravenglass built tram loco Cumbria:
ShiftingSandsMay006.jpg

I'm told this is not SMR coaching stock, but built for another railway!
ShiftingSandsMay009.jpg

Towards the end of the day Thunderbolt and Pandora sit outside the shed:
ShiftingSandsMay007.jpg

All in all, a great day out, I think the new camera works!

Colin icon_rolleyes.gif

??? posted on Mon May 19, 2008 6:38 am

43003 wrote:
That looks to have been a nice day out Colin. icon_mrgreen.gif I do like the concept of the layout, it reminds me of a few I've seen about.

Would you be so kind as to refresh my memory on the gauge that the line would be to the scale population? icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif indeed thanks all for your comments.

For those who may have missed the layout on previous forum appearances, Shifting Sands is built to O-9, that is 7mm scale (same as O gauge) on 9mm gauge track, representing a railway of 15" gauge, based very loosely on the Cleethorpes and Fairbourne lines.

Colin

??? posted on Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 pm

VEEDUBBEETLE wrote:
I know nothing off the origins or history of this layout but it looks a real breath of fresh air. Is it active on the show circuit?

For more details see the link in my signature, should answer most questions! It isn't active on the show circuit, but does occasionally make appearances at shows where either myself or my Dad are members of the organising society.

Neil wrote:
Don't start thinking that you can sneek this sort of comment past us by hiding it half way down the page. Do tell. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif Wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that! Not a lot too tell really, the Heywood inspired bogie coach was started yonks ago but only finished during my winter "finishing off stuff" frenzy and the brake van was built as something to do over a couple of evenings to match it. Not really sure what I am going to do with them to be honest!

Colin

??? posted on Wed May 21, 2008 9:55 pm

IanHolmes wrote:
Homesickness time again...
Lovely set of Pictures there Colin.
I do like the Duffield Bank brake van

Thanks Ian, one day you will get to see the layout for real! I think it is actually an Eaton Hall design, but what would I know, I'm a Greenly-ite!

peterl wrote:
Briliant layout Colin, I only hope that I can get to that standard when I get my 0-9 layout started. icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Peter, how are you getting along with those coach kits icon_wink.gif

Colin

??? posted on Sun May 25, 2008 4:07 pm

Phil wrote:
It is another contributor to RMweb who sees the whole picture and merges everything together into one seamless model. I'm guessing the little blue diesel started life as a Park Royal railbus ?

Thanks for the kind comments Phil (and Pennine and F-Unit), Yes, the blue diesel is Dapol railbus with a smattering of Drewery shunter, for details see here: http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/p/intrepid-a.html

F-UnitMad wrote:
Realistic positioning? Yes, the Driver of Pandora looks very comfy in this pic... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Is he an Ex-RAF Rear Gunner, perchance icon_razz.gif ???

Actually he fought for the other side, the drivers of both Pandora and Thunderbolt started life as members of the Preiser Luftwaffe ground crew set, a multi-pose set of figures with alternative arms, heads, legs etc: http://www.ontracks....k/index.php?pag ... catID=1039 Very useful for squeezing into small locos in 7mm scale!

Colin

??? posted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:05 am

Sorry to drag this one back up, but it saves starting again icon_biggrin.gif

In preparation for the 7mm NGA members day in Mickleover on the 17th Jan (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35718) I have been test running, checking over the layout etc (OK, playing...) for a week or so over Christmas. There are several jobs to do, some idiot (me icon_rolleyes.gif ) dropped the stock box a month or so ago and several little people tried a bid for freedom from the confines of the SMR stock. They all need reattaching, some of the cheekier ones icon_rolleyes.gif tried to steal the seats too....!

The SMR have been busy testing a new diesel loco, built in the Summer but only recently painted:

KnightwingDec001.jpg

KnightwingDec004A.jpg

KnightwingDec005.jpg

This is a drastic rebuild of a Knightwing diesel kit, up a scale or two and down in gauge! It will be running at Mickleover for those who wish to take a closer look.

Hopefully see some RMweb'ers there...

Colin

Now, where were we...? The main project for Shifting Sands this year has been the production of a 'scale' outline Pacific 'King George VI', based on the design of 'Prince William', resident at the Evesham Vale Light Railway and former Fairbourne machine 'Ernest W Twinning', now sadly exiled in Japan. This loco is built upon a Farish 'Duchess' Chassis and uses parts from N-Brass such as the front bogie, buffers, chimney, dome and handrails. The tender top is a Farish 8F one as this was a more appropriate shape than the Duchess one. Nameplates are a set from A1 Models' assorted nameplates box, but are appropiate for the period the real loco (if there had been one) would have been built.

PacificOct003.jpg

PacificOct002.jpg

PacificOct001.jpg

PacificOct004.jpg

PacificOct005.jpg

PacificOct007.jpg

I'll be adding a construction gallery to the Shifting Sands website soon...

Finally, a reminder, Shifting Sands makes its final public appearance for the forseeable future on 21st/22nd November at the Retford Model Railway Exhibition, details here: http://www.bnnrs.net/show.html

Colin

What a fantastic layout. I love something different and the idea of a seaside railway is brilliant. In terms of stock, it reminds me of the Stapleford Miniature Railway just down the road from me although sadly open to the public only a twice a year. The mix of American and British outline stock sets the scene nicely. The caravan by the loco shed works well to show off the diminutive size of the locos.

I quite fancy building something more akin to the Southport Prototype. The general run down state of the railway and surrounding area and the "coarse" scale locos would not be easy to capture.

I will look out for your construction photos with interest.

Really lovely modelling and excellent photography. The way the sand dunes merge into the backscene is truly inspirational cool.gif

Thanks Chris, coming from the master of both landscape and photography that has certainly made my day! biggrin.gif

Lovely concept and well excecuted. I am interested in you Knightwing shunter based loco, can you briefly describe the mods you have made to this?

Thanks Rob, more details on the Knightwing conversion (and it's predecessors) can be found here

Essentially the loco was reduced in length, width and height. This can be summarised as:

• shortening the bonnet to just the length of the vents;
  • narrowing the footplate to 28mm wide andshortenning to length of cab an bonnet;
  • removing old door surrounds from the cab and creating new doors around the larger window - I extended the doors downwards to make it easier for 7mm scale figures to get in!
  • narrowing the bufferbeams, removing detail and reducing in height
  • cutting and shutting the chassis sideframes. My method for this is to cut between the rear axle springs and the steps (which are discarded), and again a few mm ahead of the rear axle springs. I then swap the pieces around and what was the front overhang becomes the section between the axles, with a new section at one end to replace the steps. 
  • reduce the chassis sideframes in height both top and bottom.

I hope this helps, it is easier to do than describe! The resultant loco is perhaps a little bulky for Shifting Sands, I bought another Knightwing kit yesterday so it may actualy get replaced with something similar, on a bogie chassis, with a narrower cab...

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Terrific stuff Colin, I've long been a fan of Shifting Sands, but to my regret I've never actually seen it. Its one of very few layouts that have successfully captured the look and feel of the seaside miniature railway. You've also conveyed the sense of place very successfully, it shouts "East Coast" to me, and stirs some very distant childhood memories of the Lincolnshire seaside.

And your new camera is working very well, what is it?

All the best,

Dave.T

Great to be reacquainted with this again! Your skillful photos make me pine for the seaside in summer. And I think you've done an amazing job on that Princess - somehow the compromises of the original model seems to actually help in your conversion to minature railway loco. Brilliant, but it sort of hurts my head to think of the multiple scales you must be working in on the one layout - the landscape in one and then the stock in many others!

Raphael

Terrific stuff Colin, I've long been a fan of Shifting Sands, but to my regret I've never actually seen it. Its one of very few layouts that have successfully captured the look and feel of the seaside miniature railway. You've also conveyed the sense of place very successfully, it shouts "East Coast" to me, and stirs some very distant childhood memories of the Lincolnshire seaside.

And your new camera is working very well, what is it?

Thanks Dave, I have to say that a good familiarity with the prototype helps ;) Observation is they key, my objective from the start was bogie coaches and tender locos, which is a far cry from what the O9 trade was providing at the time (they are learning though...)

The camera, not so new these days, is a Canon Powershot A720 IS - a compact, but with a full manual mode, which in conjunction with a tripod, produces good enough results for my purposes!

Great to be reacquainted with this again! Your skillful photos make me pine for the seaside in summer. And I think you've done an amazing job on that Princess - somehow the compromises of the original model seems to actually help in your conversion to minature railway loco. Brilliant, but it sort of hurts my head to think of the multiple scales you must be working in on the one layout - the landscape in one and then the stock in many others!

It certainly beats the winter blues Raphael :D. You are right , the compromises on the original, such as the slightly undersize wheels, are lost in this format. Just to clear things up, it was actually a Duchess (well, City) and the body is all-new, as seen here in the 'plastic':

PacificJune006.jpg

As for scales, everything on the layout is to 1/43rd scale (or thereabouts), it's just that some things are models of small items (shades if Father Ted here...) Of course, some bits are sourced from other scales and used as appropriate.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Dont think I have seen anything like this before.

Then I highly recommend reading Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, published quarterly by Roy Link.

http://www.narrowgau...om/magazine.htm

Full of high quality modelling and historical articles on British narrow gauge, in all its weird and wonderful variety.biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dave.T

I am so much more impressed after seeing that in plain plastic [as it were]. You deserve a double-flake 99 for that level of work.

Is it just me?: I almost prefer models under construction and not totally finished. Its a bit like photographic grey - shows up everything better for the camera. [No offence intended of course!].

Raphael

I am so much more impressed after seeing that in plain plastic [as it were]. You deserve a double-flake 99 for that level of work.

Is it just me?: I almost prefer models under construction and not totally finished. Its a bit like photographic grey - shows up everything better for the camera. [No offence intended of course!].

None taken Raphael! I do agree,and I do feel a great sense of relief at seeing a model completed and ready for paint. There is also something very satisfying about a model freshly coated in primer, it seems to even everything out and hide many sins!

Colin

Thank you for posting these pictures - I have enjoyed looking at them more than any other layout on this forum so far. You obviously really enjoy the hobby and have a great deal of skill in model making and composition.

Thank you once again

Chris

Thank you for posting these pictures - I have enjoyed looking at them more than any other layout on this forum so far. You obviously really enjoy the hobby and have a great deal of skill in model making and composition.

Thank you once again

Thanks Chris, I'm not sure how to respond to such praise! Yes, I do enjoy the hobby, although I do find that this avenue takes (at least) twice as long to achieve anything compared to RTR based forms or even something reliant on kits. As for composition, I spent some time considering the balance of the layout, for instance initially the shed are wasn't there, it was added to balance out the cafe area. Anything else, just fel into place ;)

Colin

Perhaps if we all keep on at Colin he won't retire the layout?  :icon_sad:? There are other 09 locos around and Colin does have some good pics of them. ? The Heywood 'Katie' has been seen at Somerthorpe?  :icon_thumbsup2:? As well as Colin's new 'Pacific'

One or two other modellers are now looking at building 09 layouts after the inspiration that came form Colin. ? Hopefully we will see some here soon

Peter

Lovely Henry Greenly feel to the steamers, right combination of size and scale for the narrow gauge look of the many Amusement lines, and Beach Railways once so popular in the UK....I had wondered about a Hastings flavoured one, with shingle, nets, and fishing boats a few years ago...but it was put aside.

Stephen.

Perhaps if we all keep on at Colin he won't retire the layout :icon_sad: There are other 09 locos around and Colin does have some good pics of them. The Heywood 'Katie' has been seen at Somerthorpe :icon_thumbsup2:

You can try.... but other things have to take priority at the moment :(

We have had one or two visitors over the years, some have even had the honour of pulling the odd train!

The first was really a 'cheat', as it was 'Robin Hood' - a loco that was built by myself and sold on, which returned for the layouts first appearance at Retford back in 2006:

ShiftingSandsVis001.jpg

The next three visitors came from Andrew Blackwell, a O9 modeller in the North East. Andrew and I have corresponded for some time on the subject of O9 stock and he has adopted similar building techniques to myself, right down to butchering Dapol and Knightwing kits, he has even thrown in some 009 bits too! His locos visited the layout in September 2007 at Cleethorpes.

His Pacific is Greenly style on a modified Farish GW Prairie chassis, incorporating Dapol 'City' parts:

ShiftingSandsVis002.jpg

ShiftingSandsVis003.jpg

ShiftingSandsVis004.jpg

Andrew's 2-8-2 is a real beauty, one of the first O9 locos that made me green with envy :D . This is built on a Farish 8F chassis with modifications, the body and tender use some Airfix 'Schools' parts:

ShiftingSandsVis005.jpg

ShiftingSandsVis006.jpg

The diesel, in Romney style, is built on a Bachmann US chassis and incorporates Knightwing and Dapol parts:

ShiftingSandsVis007.jpg

ShiftingSandsVis008.jpg

(The SMR management would dearly like a similar loco!)

The most recent visitor has been the prototype kit for Heywood's 'Katie', on loan from N-Drive courtesy of Paul Windle and our own Peter Leadley:

NDriveKatie.jpg

Whilst exhibition-goers have inspected visitors at shows, at home visitors are inspected by the SMR's chief train-watcher, Mr Sooty. Here he inspects the long-term visitor that the SMR has been operating for the last year (the gren Knightwing conversion seen several posts above):

SootyLayout002.jpg

We have no visitors planned for Retford this year, but the home fleet should be in full attendance. A subtle reminder that the exhibition is next weekend, 21st/22nd November, at Retford Town Hall.

Colin

Archived