Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• RMweb Premium

Waste of time when asked about the 29 at warley more or less blanked me

Thats my order cancelled for one now

I got a more positive response - livery samples expected around the end of this year with finished product available mid next year subject to all the usual vagaries of production and shipping

Not much sign of the lower bodyside valance turn-under being re-worked...

The Nim.

It wont be, that was the first EP which was still on show. I was told the tumblehome was on the work to do list - and as above painted sample in the next month, on sale mid year. Although at Ally Pally where I first saw the EP and was told it would be early 2019, so slippage is occuring.

The Great Eastern locomotives headed north at the same time.

They are doing D6118 and D6120 in plain green.

The version they are not doing is D6100-09 with the two part radiator grille as fitted when new to the Great Northern.

But they were altered to one piece mesh grilles very shortly after introduction due to them overheating whilst still based at Hornsey.

• RMweb Premium

6123 was re-engined at Paxman's Brittania works in Colchester, which were sited behind St Boltophs station with rail access. I think this was in 1963, so after the move north and the application of yellow panels. I would therefore think that running this in an East Anglian setting could be justfied under the idea it was undergoing testing after the re-build. All the other 19 were subsequently re-engined in the north, at North British I believe but not sure.

Izzy

6123 was re-engined at Paxman's Brittania works in Colchester, which were sited behind St Boltophs station with rail access. I think this was in 1963, so after the move north and the application of yellow panels. I would therefore think that running this in an East Anglian setting could be justfied under the idea it was undergoing testing after the re-build. All the other 19 were subsequently re-engined in the north, at North British I believe but not sure.

Izzy

The loco didn't have a yellow warning panel when it was sent to Colchester. There is a photo on a Paxman website of the loco during conversion with the Ventura being lowered in. The loco was Stratford's pet during the testing period on the GE mainline and apparently it could be heard coming a mile away because it sounded so different to the other diesel locomotives working the route at the time. Edited by Baby Deltic

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Not that much longer and we will have waited ten years!  Is this a record?

And we are still waiting to see if the absent turnunder at the bottom of the bodyside as seen on the EP's will be rectified. I am certainly not holding my breath, because that suggests a deficiency that may derive from the original research. So the correction may require fresh research, correct the CAD, then retool ...

Whatever, I think my hacked about Hornby body on filed down Bachmann class 25 mechanism will be on my GN section inner sub duty a little longer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/02/2019 at 21:22, locoholic said:

Has there been any sign of progress with this model in the last year or so?! I would quite like to buy one before I'm consigned to the care home...

what it's been 10 years since Dapol announced the class 29...really???

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm so convinced that this will never appear (under Dapol control) that I've dug out the Worsley Works scratch aid and will get it started shortly after Modelrail*.

Thanks

* Modelrail - AMRSS Annual Exhibition at SEC Glasgow - this weekend coming!

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ScRSG said:

Just looked at the Worsley Works site, can't find any reference to Class21/29, can you help, please?

HI there, listed as your choice  Cl21 or Cl29

Link to N gauge/2mm list

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/2mm/2mm_Diesel_Locomotives.htm

You have to ask if you want it in other scales (4mm)

Thanks

Phil H

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2019 at 10:54, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And we are still waiting to see if the absent turnunder at the bottom of the bodyside as seen on the EP's will be rectified. I am certainly not holding my breath, because that suggests a deficiency that may derive from the original research. So the correction may require fresh research, correct the CAD, then retool ...

Whatever, I think my hacked about Hornby body on filed down Bachmann class 25 mechanism will be on my GN section inner sub duty a little longer.

I doubt if it is a record. As I recall Peco had the N gauge GWR 2251 in their catalogue for what seemed like decades before it appeared to the surprise of practically everyone.

Chris

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Small = far away. Only an eighth the size of OO, so that was really about four OO years... ;)  Or something.

Except that time does not scale it is a constant, (as is gravity), I remember extensive correspondence in the Railway Modeller some while ago with various contributors trying to be Physicists instead of modellers, and getting it entirely wrong!

jim

18 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Except that time does not scale it is a constant, (as is gravity)...

I know, thus the winky. Although there is Einstein's famous line "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute."

But back to the 21/29. It does seem to be 'unlucky' as a project. It was a real surprise when there was clear progress at last in the form of the EP samples: and it had a clear inaccuracy in the body shape, and not a minor 'matter of interpretation' at that. How did it get to be like that? Has to be research failure at bottom in my opinion. Which implies significant delay in correction.

I've been in contact with Joel from Dapol. Last response was in Oct, which he informed me they were working on the decorations. Now 4 months later I'm awaiting a response from him for another update.  He maybe waiting as Model Rail Scotland is imminent and might be preparing to show them there, fingers crossed. I will update if he gets in contact again.

Edited by spackz
  • Thanks 1