Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Will take some pictures later today 

they were old plates I’ve had a long time could be Jackson and Evans 

On 26/05/2019 at 22:55, brenn said:

Nice work..where did you get the builds plate..Dapol?....have you got some shots of the front?

F39F8EA7-3BFC-483F-B54C-EF7C9B67E690.jpeg

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Decorated samples on Hattons website, I think that the upper green on the class 29s looks too bright imho

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=476

Jim

Hmmm, I agree, that upper green does look a bit intense! It could be the lighting, although Dapol don't have a great track record on colours for some of their models.

5 minutes ago, Downer said:

Is there any difference - other than the number - between the two plain green ones?

You mean D6121 and D6120? Apparently just the running numbers, they're both Class 21.

Incidentally, it's interesting that the "Revised Class 21 running numbers" call-out is placed alongside the Class 29 locos! :)

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, truffy said:

You mean D6121 and D6120? Apparently just the running numbers, they're both Class 21.

Incidentally, it's interesting that the "Revised Class 21 running numbers" call-out is placed alongside the Class 29 locos! :)

Two Ipswich ones - surprising, I'd've thought they might have chosen one from the GN as well as a GE one.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

They are looking good, the bodyside turn under looks better than the early samples. I'm not replacing my BR blue Bachby-Hornman hybrids, due to the blood, sweat and time that went into them, and particularly as Dapol have chosen the same 2 numbers that I have already done.....! :mocking_mini:

IMG_20170303_190939.jpg.ea8c1e827bc110ee5e4afc7a10992993.jpg

But I may well be tempted by a two tone green version which would allow my third hybrid to become oddball class 29 D6123 with disc headcodes.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

Two Ipswich ones - surprising, I'd've thought they might have chosen one from the GN as well as a GE one.

Hi Steve,

Without getting the books out, weren't the GN batch the pilot batch and had a different grille arrangement for the radiator intake? They were altered to be the same as the production batch after being transferred to Scotland. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve,

Without getting the books out, weren't the GN batch the pilot batch and had a different grille arrangement for the radiator intake? They were altered to be the same as the production batch after being transferred to Scotland. 

Ooh I don't know; I didn't get my books out either when I made that comment!  But I seem to think the GN ones were low numbered so I'm sure you're right.  Thanks for letting me know; it'll save me making a mess with transfers ....

• RMweb Gold

D6121 is in its pre 1964 condition, before it swapped cabs with D6122 following an accident.

D6122 had windscreen wipers at the bottom and (D6122- onwards) no cab vents, unlike D6100-21.

Post 1964 D6122 was rebuilt as a 29, and D6121 became stuff of legend in Barry with both numbers showing through.

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve,

7 hours ago, 31A said:

Ooh I don't know; I didn't get my books out either when I made that comment!  But I seem to think the GN ones were low numbered so I'm sure you're right.  Thanks for letting me know; it'll save me making a mess with transfers ....

Some time ago when discussing the Hornby 29, BernardTPM pointed me to a Wikipedia photo of D6103 in 1959 at Harringay which shows the original grilles: 

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_21

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Some time ago when discussing the Hornby 29, BernardTPM pointed me to a Wikipedia photo of D6103 in 1959 at Harringay which shows the original grilles: 

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_21

On a train composed of LNER postal coaches. It also has LT trip cock gear fitted, which I haven't noticed on this batch before.

• Like 1