Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, JiLo said:

RevolutioN put out the feelers for an N 21/29, there wasnt enough interest to progress, sadly

Fair comment.

But also in fairness, there wasn't enough interest in a crowdfunded 21/29 from a fledgling (at the time), unproven (at the time) two -man band (at the time). Things are likely to be different now, with a proven track record of delivering quality powered and unpowered models to the N and OO market.

For Dapol, with a lot of the hard work already done for the OO model, it might be a bit more palatable for them.

32 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Fair comment.

But also in fairness, there wasn't enough interest in a crowdfunded 21/29 from a fledgling (at the time), unproven (at the time) two -man band (at the time). Things are likely to be different now, with a proven track record of delivering quality powered and unpowered models to the N and OO market.

For Dapol, with a lot of the hard work already done for the OO model, it might be a bit more palatable for them.

It would certainly be good to see, Im not an N modeller but still would be good to see it on the market

1 hour ago, WesternKing said:

I know all about it but not everyone follows the press or has the internet.

Well if they dont follow the press or the internet, how else are they going to know about it, apart from exhibitions?  But RevolutioN aren't at every exhibition?  

I havent seen a RevolutioN stand at an exhibition so I dont know if they promoted it on their stands but I imagine they would have 

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’m going to ask a stupid question here but I’ve noticed that all the Dapol Class 21’s listed are in green but were any painted blue in real life?

Someone more knowledgeable might correct this, but the short answer is no. The longer answer is D6109 was painted blue when it was externally a Class 29, but with original engine.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I have checked with Dapol about how the NEM pocket is mounted. It will be mounted on a simple single-screw pivot on the chassis underside, in the same manner as their Class 22. This is not as good as on the Warship they make for Kernow, but much better than on their Class 73 (pocket moulded into bogie frame, completely unusable for close-couplers, and no room to fit a cam device).

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

This is not as good as on the Warship they make for Kernow, but much better than on their Class 73 (pocket moulded into bogie frame, completely unusable for close-couplers, and no room to fit a cam device).

The Warship that Kernow produce themselves?

Roy

18 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

.... This is not as good as on the Warship they make for Kernow...

28 minutes ago, GordonC said:

...the Kernow exclusive that they commissioned Dapol to produce

Queen Anne is dead. Kernow parted company from Dapol almost exactly six years ago, then later parted from Dave Jones, and now manage the process directly with the factory.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Queen Anne is dead. Kernow parted company from Dapol almost exactly six years ago, then later parted from Dave Jones, and now manage the process directly with the factory.

oh ok, I hadn't seen that, only the original announcements that it was with Dapol

8 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Part of the problem is that old topic titles and content haven't been - or cannot be - edited to reflect current status, so out of date information does tend to hang around.

yeah it would also have made sense with Dapol doing the other NBLs that there would have been some re-use of at least CAD elements even if not tooling itself

• RMweb Premium

I'm fairly sure Andy Y could do some infrequent editing to put a more current sense of a project on any threads that might need it - if asked nicely and paid with a Cornish Pasty and a pint of beer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2019 at 18:46, WesternKing said:

One was painted blue but it had modified cab ends like the class 29's

I think it was pretty much converted as far as the body was concerned. It had the modified grilles too. I think they hit a snag when they got to the engine fitting bit and stopped the conversion and refitted a refurbished MAN engine. Maybe it had some sort of accident damage in the frames.

Edited by Baby Deltic

17 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

I don't believe this book has been mentioned yet on this Dapol topic, if you missed it:

Well worth the price, I thoroughly enjoyed the read.  

Thanks for drawing attention to this book and its thread on this forum.  A. bit odd that it has taken over a month for the two to be linked!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, rembrow said:

The latest Dapol advert, appearing in the December Hornby magazine, of products coming soon, has shown the Class 21 and 29 models for the first time, as well as the GWR parcels railcar. Normally a sign that they are in production.

It is in Model Rail mag too. Their stand is opposite my layout at Alsager show in Crewe this weekend so hopefully they may have some on display.....

On 26/10/2019 at 17:56, TheEngineShed said:

I don't believe this book has been mentioned yet on this Dapol topic, if you missed it:

Well worth the price, I thoroughly enjoyed the read.  

It is a good book, I purchased it recently. Still a distinct lack of photos clearly showing the revised class 29 exhaust ports though unfortunately, which would have been handy for modelling purposes.

A couple more shots showing grille and bogie detail and the lower bodyside turn under which look excellent to me. Again, this is only an unmotorised class 29 "decorated sample" with, I'm told, tweaks still to be made, rather than the final production model.

20191109_092312.jpg.7e84a1059c0ea64fd02ede5eb581136c.jpg20191109_092152.jpg.1ac818d4ea13b738ac38b2d8252a357a.jpg

The colour shades used on this and the blue version look spot on imho.

My thanks to Dapol for the photo loan of the model.:good_mini:

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2