Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• RMweb Gold

I took a couple with my camera phone at Warley on Saturday. There was such a scrum that I wasn’t able to hang around with my son in tow. To my eye they appeal, even if I model the western region! 

49123247148_32e21a63a6_b.jpg

49123931032_3680f43d8a_b.jpg

Sorry the lighting was rubbish, so photos appear dark. 

cheers Peter

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

OK then; who’s gonna be first to hack a pair into D6123..? :)

The left over parts could make D6109, the only 21 to get headcode boxes and BR blue livery.....but it did have a few other 29 specific mods too. :good_mini:

Not quite the methodology I was thinking of, but might hack my Bachby 2 tone green one into 6123 and get a standard Dapol 29 to replace it.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 15:36, G&A Track said:

info I got from Dapol 14/11, “The Class 21’s are on the ship and should be here first or second week of December. The Class 29’s are going through QC now and will be a few weeks later.”

Any further sign of those 21s yet? Will they make Xmas I wonder?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Do all the green SYP Class 21 models have eyebrows? I'm modelling D6137, which is without eyebrows, and trying to find a suitable base model. However, it's hard to tell from the Rails website as none of the photos match the descriptions. Are there any other differences to be aware of between the SYP batches modelled? Or will I just have to remove the eyebrows?

Thanks! 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick question. Is an easy way to tell if a loco has been converted to a 29 , the presence of 4 digit headcode?   Fancy a loco but want a disc  version not one with a headcode , does that mean I restrict myself to a 21 . Did they last long enough to pull blue & grey mk1s ?

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Just a quick question. Is an easy way to tell if a loco has been converted to a 29 , the presence of 4 digit headcode?   Fancy a loco but want a disc  version not one with a headcode , does that mean I restrict myself to a 21 . Did they last long enough to pull blue & grey mk1s ?

I believe the Class 29 with discs was D6123, but it had the other Class 29 external modifications - AFAIK.  However the 21's did live long enough to be seen on B/G mk1's

MM

Edited by MM1991

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

I believe the Class 29 with discs was D6123, but it had the other Class 29 external modifications - AFAIK.  However the 21's did live long enough to be seen on B/G mk1's

MM

Thanks MM . I’ve been studying George O’Haras excellent book BR Diesel Traction in Scotland and there are lots of pictures . Unfortunately , at least to me, it’s not clear if these were rebuilt or not . Of course if most of these locos without headcodes are actually 21s he wouldn’t see the need to state anything different .  I think a small yellow panel 21 beckons . 

Oh dear on the diesel hydraulic front! 

46 minutes ago, D7100 said:

Have I missed a history lesson somewhere.

image.png.97c821b976df7acfd265389fd0f20e42.png

Class 21/ Class 29 Diesel HYDRAULIC locomotive.

I thought these were all Diesel Electric

Gievn that within about ten minutes of a new model arriving someone will identify a boo-boo, if that's the worst thing on this model I can live with it......

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’ve been studying George O’Haras excellent book BR Diesel Traction in Scotland and there are lots of pictures . Unfortunately , at least to me, it’s not clear if these were rebuilt or not . Of course if most of these locos without headcodes are actually 21s he wouldn’t see the need to state anything different 

In the simplest of terms, if its two tone green or blue it's a 29, if its just BR green it's a 21.  Only 21 to lose the plain green was D6109 for blue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

In the simplest of terms, if its two tone green or blue it's a 29, if its just BR green it's a 21.  Only 21 to lose the plain green was D6109 for blue.

Thanks Simon . So simple even I can’t get that wrong . Appreciate you and MM taking time to answer

Strange, isn't it, that although other Type 2s sported either an off-white stripe or lighter-green band on their dark green livery, the NBL Class 21 had neither and the Class 29 had both! 

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but if the Class 29 conversions are listed in date order all of the blue ones were completed last, and all in 1967. These were therefore surely blue from conversion and never carried two-tone green (so Hornby's Chinese-produced D6119 was incorrect). I've certainly never seen photos of D6100/7/8/19/24/29/37 in ttg, and don't expect to.

I really hope that Dapol will amend the full yellow ends on 6107 & 6112 before production, to have the slight vertical wrap-around onto the cabsides. D6129 is correct, I believe this kind of minimal yellow application was an Inverurie habit, also used on its early Class 20 blue repaints, as was the use of block serif numbers throughout 1967 (something it shared with Swindon).

The availability of the Dapol Class 29 won't stop me finishing my Hornby/Bachmann model of D6123, which only requires painting. I made those revolving roof vents from Hornby coupling rivets set into the roof with a pair of those tiny Lima Mark 1 round coach buffers glued into those - about the only good use I've ever found for them!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, D7100 said:

Have I missed a history lesson somewhere.

image.png.97c821b976df7acfd265389fd0f20e42.png

Class 21/ Class 29 Diesel HYDRAULIC locomotive.

I thought these were all Diesel Electric

Makes the first preview of the sound fitted model more interesting, whats it going to sound like?