Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2020 at 10:39, Mad McCann said:

Any ETA on the Paxmans (Paxmen?) yet?

Davy.

Hattons have just sent me a notification saying on or after Friday 31st. That's for D6114, I assume its got company.  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Modifications to couplings for a neater (better?) appearance.

IMG_20200112_143850.jpg.c866f0b4a1e7a1ebacff47403f4c0833.jpg

IMG_20200112_143907.jpg.96f5cc05efd3b51ddf34ea042a5c051d.jpg

merely a small brass plate drilled 3mm to fit over original spigot with 0.8 wire used to form the loop of the coupling and soldered to the plate. Original screw used to hold with a few fibre (or other) washers to take up slack.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Picked up D6114 in Two Tone Green with Yellow Panel and D6129 in Inverurie blue from Hereford model shop today, and very nice they are too. Only had a quick look at them so far, but of note is that D6129 doesn't have the "eyebrows" above the front windows, and a thin bar across the radiator panel, as per the prototype, and D6114 has the "eyebrows" and a thick bar across the radiator panel, carrying the white line, also as per the prototype, so whach out when considering renumbering them.. Dapol look to have done a 1st Class job on these models.

Paul J.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The final SYP Class 21 of this first batch appears to have landed. Class 21s are really a bit early for my core modelling period but I have such a soft spot for the NBL D6100s that an unrebuilt one was a must. The other SYP version in the first batch was D6116 which became a Class 29 in 1966 so I've held out for this other one. From photos it appears that they have modelled D6111 rather than D6122 which was the announced version (at least as far as I had seen), but as D6111 was a late survivor (withdrawn May 1968) that's fine.

As for Class 29s, I'm waiting for the late Blue and Green FYE ones so will hold out on the two just arrived.

By my reckoning, the release of the Class 21 now means that every single mainline diesel class of the BR modernisation plan has been made as an RTR model in 4mm. I'm discounting the Playcraft H0 D6100 for this exercise. Off the top of my head, the list of each class followed by the first RTR model would be:

Class 14/15/16/17 - Heljan; Class 20 - Hornby Dublo; Class 21/22 - Dapol; Class 23 - Heljan; Class 24 - Bachmann; Class 25 - Hornby; Class 26/27 - Lima; Class 28 - Hornby Dublo; Class 29 - Hornby; Class 31 - Triang; Class 33 - Lima; Class 35/37 - Triang; Class 40 - Jouef; Class 41 - Kernow; Class 42 - Lima/Mainline; Class 43 - Bachmann; Class 44/46 - Bachmann; Class 45 Mainline; Class 47/48 - Hornby; Class 50 - Lima; Class 52 Hornby/Lima; Class 53 - Heljan; Class 55 - Lima.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

Unexpectedly found this girl in C&M, Carlisle on Saturday. She was waiting for me with a blue sister who I’ll collect later.

So pleased with the quality and absolutely worth the near ten year wait.

On the late transition ScR front these are the last piece of the jigsaw for modellers of that place/time.

I’m very happy with the model and she’s been a ray of sunlight in a couple of dark, rough, days. 

Davy.

DBCA6641-B6A6-4E23-ABE7-8494A9E03610.jpeg

6560E21D-AC81-4704-86A8-84E9D961F124.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, andyman7 said:

By my reckoning, the release of the Class 21 now means that every single mainline diesel class of the BR modernisation plan has been made as an RTR model in 4mm. I'm discounting the Playcraft H0 D6100 for this exercise. Off the top of my head, the list of each class followed by the first RTR model would be:

Class 14/15/16/17 - Heljan; Class 20 - Hornby Dublo; Class 21/22 - Dapol; Class 23 - Heljan; Class 24 - Bachmann; Class 25 - Hornby; Class 26/27 - Lima; Class 28 - Hornby Dublo; Class 29 - Hornby; Class 31 - Triang; Class 33 - Lima; Class 35/37 - Triang; Class 40 - Jouef; Class 41 - Kernow; Class 42 - Lima/Mainline; Class 43 - Bachmann; Class 44/46 - Bachmann; Class 45 Mainline; Class 47/48 - Hornby; Class 50 - Lima; Class 52 Hornby/Lima; Class 53 - Heljan; Class 55 - Lima.

No 48 Andy.... significant roof differences from 47 . Will anyone ever be brave enough - other than Clive Mortimore that is?

9 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Class 14/15/16/17 - Heljan; Class 20 - Hornby Dublo; Class 21/22 - Dapol; Class 23 - Heljan; Class 24 - Bachmann; Class 25 - Hornby; Class 26/27 - Lima; Class 28 - Hornby Dublo; Class 29 - Hornby; Class 30 - Airfix GMR/Lima?; Class 31 - Triang; Class 33 - Lima; Class 35/37 - Triang; Class 40 - Jouef; Class 41 - Kernow; Class 42 - Lima/Mainline; Class 43 - Bachmann; Class 44/46 - Bachmann; Class 45 Mainline; Class 47/48 - Hornby; Class 50 - Lima; Class 52 Hornby/Lima; Class 53 - Heljan; Class 55 - Lima.

Yup, that makes the point that there's nowhere to go but duplication now for this tranche of traction.

One missing (and oft forgotten class) added. Whether Airfix GMR or Lima are better accorded this one, others may decide.

On grounds of the Playcraft HO 21 (and Fleischmann 42) exclusion, the distinctly HO hybridised Lima 55 is 'dubious?'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Yup, that makes the point that there's nowhere to go but duplication now for this tranche of traction.

One missing (and oft forgotten class) added. Whether Airfix GMR or Lima are better accorded this one, others may decide.

On grounds of the Playcraft HO 21 (and Fleischmann 42) exclusion, the distinctly HO hybridised Lima 55 is 'dubious?'.

I think if going with H/D for the 28, they should get the accolade for the Deltic too? Unless the criteria is "near scale appearance"......not that the Lima one was perfect by a long chalk....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I think if going with H/D for the 28, they should get the accolade for the Deltic too? Unless the criteria is "near scale appearance"......not that the Lima one was perfect by a long chalk....

The H-D Deltic is best politely forgotten, under the heading 'great crimes committed late in their career by once leading model producers'. It could almost as well be a candidate for the Class 37... How bad was the H-D 28?

Should that Ssouthern electro-weasel thing be on the list too? Same sort of dates as the class 50.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You could also say the same of the hybridised Lima class 50.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

No 48 Andy.... significant roof differences from 47 . Will anyone ever be brave enough - other than Clive Mortimore that is?

Ah, thank you! I wondered if Lima might have put a 48’s number onto a 47 without my ken. Would Kernow be brave enough d’you think? After all, the Cornish persuaded Bachmann to modify the roof of the 37 to produce the less hacked-about variant of the 37/9s.

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There’s another way of looking at it: sub-classes! I have a few 37s and no particular desire for more but Accurascale has cunningly announced a 37/6. I wonder might they be brave enough to knock out the missing 37/9.

Of course, as alluded to, there are other tranches of traction.

4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Indeed. I included it on the basis that the original Hornby release lists it as a class 47/48 on the header card, regardless of prototype fidelity.

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

There are a few difficult ones - H/D did the Deltic, Trix the Western (class 52) and Warship (class 42). But I treated the 'first' model as the first one that had any kind of serious resemblance to the prototype (of course an endlessly debatable point in itself!)

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I agree with the gist of the above post, that all the BR mainline classes have now been done in rtr and pretty much all of them are now done to the current exacting standard. All that’s left is the short lived Class 48 (which could be lumped in with other small sub classes) and oddities such as the Fell and the ‘Super’ Clayton.

Back OT, sadly I can’t justify a Class 21 for myself as I use 1970 as a cut off (unless they produce a cheap scrapline train pack!), where as the Class 29 is very tempting. The problem is new Heljan 27s, Oxford ScotRail Mk3a, Hornby J36. Scottish railway modellers have never had it so good/financially challenging.

Brian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, andyman7 said:

52 would be Trix surely ?

42 Fleischmann ?

To complete the list though 56- Mainline, 57 Heljan (Lima used the 47 shell), 58- Hornby,60,66, 67 Lima, 70 Bachmann.  

Leaves new class 69 tbd... and prototype HST.

when it comes to AC electrics however.. 82,83,84,88,93 are all available.

12 minutes ago, turbos said:

I agree with the gist of the above post, that all the BR mainline classes have now been done in rtr and pretty much all of them are now done to the current exacting standard. All that’s left is the short lived Class 48 (which could be lumped in with other small sub classes) and oddities such as the Fell and the ‘Super’ Clayton.

Back OT, sadly I can’t justify a Class 21 for myself as I use 1970 as a cut off (unless they produce a cheap scrapline train pack!), where as the Class 29 is very tempting. The problem is new Heljan 27s, Oxford ScotRail Mk3a, Hornby J36. Scottish railway modellers have never had it so good/financially challenging.

Brian.

Prototype HST and I dont think we've seen a 10800 (prototype of the Class 16s) RTR

maybe more of the electrics will get picked up now

12 minutes ago, turbos said:

Brian.

Prototype HST and I dont think we've seen a 10800 (prototype of the Class 16s) RTR

maybe more of the electrics will get picked up now

3 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The Triang "class 31" must have been a class 30, since (what became) the class 31s didn't exist at the time it was introduced.

As revealed visually by the small exhaust ports associated with the Mirrlees contents, a trait shared with the Airfix moulding.

The Nim.

13 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

Unexpectedly found this girl in C&M, Carlisle on Saturday. She was waiting for me with a blue sister who I’ll collect later.

So pleased with the quality and absolutely worth the near ten year wait.

On the late transition ScR front these are the last piece of the jigsaw for modellers of that place/time.

I’m very happy with the model and she’s been a ray of sunlight in a couple of dark, rough, days. 

Davy.

DBCA6641-B6A6-4E23-ABE7-8494A9E03610.jpeg

6560E21D-AC81-4704-86A8-84E9D961F124.jpeg

It looks great....can you get the builders plates off easily as i plan to have my blue renumbered tops so will have to move them.

does look a good model...well done Dapol:)

B