Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

52 would be Trix surely ?

42 Fleischmann ?

To complete the list though 56- Mainline, 57 Heljan (Lima used the 47 shell), 58- Hornby,60,66, 67 Lima, 70 Bachmann.  

Leaves new class 69 tbd... and prototype HST.

when it comes to AC electrics however.. 82,83,84,88,93 are all available.

Trix 52 is a contender but it is seriously remiss in actually looking like the loco it is supposed to represent. Fleischmann 42 is H0 and therefore disqualified :). I stopped at Class 55 as from class 56 onwards they are not modernisation plan era but the original 4mm 60, 66 and 67 models were all done by Lima.

Edited by andyman7

4 hours ago, brenn said:

It looks great....can you get the builders plates off easily as i plan to have my blue renumbered tops so will have to move them.

does look a good model...well done Dapol:)

B

My feeling is they will come off ok, though I have not tried; they appear to be etched and are legible, which really tested my phone camera focus! 

20200203_230336.jpg.e27e0404240ce7dfde501a6082d129a7.jpg

As can be seen there is the merest hint of Dapols adhesive visible in the photo, suggesting they are simply stuck on and which is not visible to the naked eye. The absolutely minute Shed plates are a nice bonus, again appear to be etched and glued in place.

The only real let down I feel is the exhaust outlets which look basic and could at least have been painted black, indeed the blanked off original exhaust position IS painted black! Not insurmountable but an error easily avoided perhaps.

20200203_211940.jpg.1b4469c08f3bc8c2e26f506df2d3c3c7.jpg

Overall it is a cracking model though I think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brenn said:

It looks great....can you get the builders plates off easily as i plan to have my blue renumbered tops so will have to move them.

does look a good model...well done Dapol:)

B

I haven’t tried the builder’s plates, but I removed the shed plates on mine. They were attached with a (slightly over large) blob of cyano type glue. I levered them off with a knife and they came off easily, but left a small blob of glue underneath. This I removed with a light sand and T cut and it disappeared under my weathering, but was slightly glossier than the rest before I weathered.

I think the builder’s plates would be the same, although slightly larger of course!

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

How do the colours on these look in the flesh (the upper green on the two-tone, and the rail blue)? I only ask because of course Dapol have "form" with poor colour choices, and the upper green looks odd in the pre-production photos. 

6 hours ago, Daddyman said:

How do the colours on these look in the flesh (the upper green on the two-tone, and the rail blue)? I only ask because of course Dapol have "form" with poor colour choices, and the upper green looks odd in the pre-production photos. 

Funny you mention that... I did do an NBL line up last night. Kernow win for me with that nice satin finish... the Dapol blue of the 29 is a bit flat or matt, but it is much closer to correct than the seaweed colour of the first Class 22. I'll take some more tonight 

20200204_192308.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Grasslands said:

Funny you mention that... I did do an NBL line up last night. Kernow win for me with that nice satin finish... the Dapol blue of the 29 is a bit flat or matt, but it is much closer to correct than the seaweed colour of the first Class 22. I'll take some more tonight 

20200204_192308.jpg

Is the yellow correct on D6129 there where there's a horizontal step between the windscreen yellow coming down and the yellow front? without looking at reference pictures, it looks odd and the style on D6318 looks more what I would have expected

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

Is the yellow correct on D6129 there where there's a horizontal step between the windscreen yellow coming down and the yellow front? without looking at reference pictures, it looks odd and the style on D6318 looks more what I would have expected

I would agree with Phil for D6129 and it looks like the other Dapol BR Blue one that is imminent has a different iteration of the yellow (I think the 'yet to be released' one has yellow ends that go further up the cab).

Any feedback on my headcode paper query? Was it missing in mine or does the model simply not come with any optional headcodes?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Classes 21/22/29 looked sad enough at the best of times, but those three in their last days at Glasgow Works are positively heart-breaking !

I know ! Sorry - but it did illustrate the point.....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

D6129 had blue in Inverurie 'minimalist' style along with 4 others - D6108, D6119, D6124 and D6137. The other blue Dapol class 29 is the more fullsome Eastfield St Rollox style which only D6100 and D6107 received. The remaining 13 locos were all TTG FYE by withdrawal.

I should add that D6119 received a re-paint in 1971 with St Rollox yellow fronts, 4-months before withdrawal...

[Thanks to A. Sayer's recent class 21/29 book]

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Grasslands said:

Any feedback on my headcode paper query? Was it missing in mine or does the model simply not come with any optional headcodes?

Not sure if this is of any help but Heljan 17 s & 27s both came with paper headcode options including the quirky variations often found on Scottish lines such as ***2 or ***1.

HTH

David

• Like 1

Both the current blue and green 29 models appear to have the same headcodes, ie ..1.  No alternatives supplied, not sure how easy they would be to change (particularly if wanting them to be illuminated). They are also set quite far back behind the headcode box "glass", which is noticable when viewed from above particularly.

Colour wise they look good, the BR blue shade is much better than the class 22 imho.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Scots were prone to economy with headcodes often displaying only the train class in a random position in the digits....

We have yet to find a model that we havent been able to change headcodes on even if that means sacrificing the original glazing when the headcode has been printed on the back. Not usually the case with Dapol.....

Precision Labels versions have always worked well for us....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve now fitted a sound chip to my Dapol Class 21. I chose the Coastal DCC product, recorded off a DB class 218 which had a similar engine, although how much the hydraulic transmission would affect the sound I’m not sure. Kevin has programmed all of the Dapol light settings onto the Loksound chip. It sounds nice and bassy but I’ve no idea whether it’s accurate. 

Here are a couple of short videos of it running on my layout Gresley Jn. Any comments on the sound welcome.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

OK, so what do people think of the visibility of the communicating doors on Dapol's class 29?

As far as I was aware these were panelled over during conversion, and yes the weld lines did become steadily more visible as withdrawal approached, but surely not when first converted? (Rails photo) It's almost like they have been inspired by Hornby! 

4d-014-001.IMG_0622.jpg?preset=large

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

OK, so what do people think of the visibility of the communicating doors on Dapol's class 29?

As far as I was aware these were panelled over during conversion, and yes the weld lines did become steadily more visible as withdrawal approached, but surely not when first converted? (Rails photo) It's almost like they have been inspired by Hornby! 

4d-014-001.IMG_0622.jpg?preset=large

Compare with these two:

72 131 100672  Glasgow Works D6101+D6133

Picture from same Flickr photostream as Phil Bullock used upthread.

One on right looks to slightly show door outline below headcode box, but nothing above.  

Picture of real ones suggests a pretty “clean” face compared to model, e.g. lamp irons also seem more prominent, presumably an issue of what can be reproduced commercially?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, stovepipe said:

I was curious and had a look through a few photos of these last night. It does seem that the recesses on the gang doors are more prominent on the two/tone green versions (most shots including a dusting of dirt). Conversely, the doors are very smoothly welded on most BR Blue versions. 

• Agree 1

Has anybody applied the bufferbeam details yet ? I notice there's differently shaped receptacle holes but without any illustrations that I can see on the instruction sheets it's a reference to prototypical images :)

The drawgear hook itself seems to be red on the green liveried version.

14 hours ago, stovepipe said:

'Tis the old story, that as the general level of fidelity improves, what would have been overlooked on a less refined model comes to the fore. This is rather like the old issue on Bach's mk1s with mountainous representations of the roof panel welds, which BR were extremely proud of having flush welded with no further finishing required. I had to scrape them off until Bach saw the light.

If it offends, then filler it has to be. Never having seen a 29 in reality it escapes my notice: but the oval bufferheads with the long axis off level, eye gouging!