Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Two thoughts, firstly my only minor critism is the buffer heads have the same curved face as the cl 22. Something I must get around to sorting, I have no idea why I even own a cl22! Secondly here is a link to a Flickr gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/adogriff/galleries/72157632187208901/with/5861057843/

Of note is 6111 with discs still running in 1967/8 the caption doesn't confirm for sure the date but it's stabled with a blue cl29. 

My first Class 29 has arrived. Here is something I can’t altogether explain. There has been a long wait for both this and Bachmann’s 24/1. Both are very fine models and I’m very impressed by both. Yet there is something intangible about the 29 that generates (in me if no-one else) more sheer delight than the 24. Perhaps it’s because I have a few 24s but no 29s (apart from an ancient Hornby one). Perhaps it’s because of the imaginative two-tone green – I might have been rather less enthusiastic about the blue. What is it about the “reborn” Dapol? The 68s produced the same delight. The 68s are easier to explain – brand new locomotives on the network are rare enough.

Taking a cooler look; how embarrassing to describe it very prominently as a diesel hydraulic on the box, especially as the drawing is correct! The instructions are also somewhat inadequate. Removing the screw underneath doesn’t seem to loosen anything – it seemed a likely place for a decoder. I peered through the roof grill, searching for a fan. No fan but instead a far-off glint. It turned out that the body is held on by two clips on each side and the place for the decoder is on the PCB as might be expected. The “far-off glint” was from the bottom of the space for a speaker, intended to be held in by clips. The cabs are held in by screws but light shields of sticky tape might cause trouble.

I can’t add anything to the beautiful pictures already posted but here is one of the interior, which might help. The recesses for the body clips can be made out and also, just under a single red wire on the right, one of the cab securing screws. Unfortunately, wires between the body and chassis prevent moving the body farther away for a clearer picture of its inside.

D6114 Interior.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

... there is something intangible about the 29 that generates (in me if no-one else) more sheer delight than the 24...

I have a 21, and it similarly entertains me. Among the smaller diesels on the layout, second by a short head to NBL's type1 from Heljan. I think it is the characterful styling. The type 1 exterior definitely put in the hands of a man who was an enthusiast for, and knew all there was to know, about ventilated steel cabinets. The type 2 DE, perhaps by someone influenced by early science fiction films, possibly Fritz Lang's metropolis? Combined with a massive Glasgow style hangover from 16 pints of heavy with whisky chasers.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

...The instructions are also somewhat inadequate... 

Unfortunately, wires between the body and chassis prevent moving the body farther away for a clearer picture of its inside...

For me it's the lack of an assembly diagram that is the one real omission. All it needs is a PDF download made available by Dapol. They surely must have a diagram?

But of course the wires are all neatly plugged in to the board. I will be colour dotting all the plugs and sockets if I ever need to unplug, to make reassembly a little easier.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Despite currently having no where to run one, could't resist getting D6114 on Friday, also bought the excellent book detailling the history of the class.

As an aside, Pen and Sword are due to release a similar volume on the Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bos

The Metropolitan-Vickers Type 2 Co-Bo Diesel-Electric Locomotives: From Design to Destruction

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Despite currently having no where to run one, could't resist getting D6114 on Friday, also bought the excellent book detailling the history of the class.

As an aside, Pen and Sword are due to release a similar volume on the Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bos

The Metropolitan-Vickers Type 2 Co-Bo Diesel-Electric Locomotives: From Design to Destruction

On 22/02/2020 at 21:17, w124bob said:

Of note is 6111 with discs still running in 1967/8 the caption doesn't confirm for sure the date but it's stabled with a blue cl29. 

And that blue Class 29 has a data panel, which suggests the photo was taken at some point after D6111's withdrawal. The latter's dirty windscreens would support this.

Talking of data panels, I note that Dapol's Gfy 6112 correctly has these, but Bfy 6107 doesn't - surely they'd have been applied by the time its D prefixes had been painted over......?

11 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Talking of data panels, I note that Dapol's Gfy 6112 correctly has these, but Bfy 6107 doesn't - surely they'd have been applied by the time its D prefixes had been painted over......?

The photos that I've seen of 6107 show it without data panels, right up to withdrawal. It also shows that it had the three bars across the cab door windows to prevent them being smashed during tablet exchanges

Paul

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

And that blue Class 29 has a data panel, which suggests the photo was taken at some point after D6111's withdrawal. The latter's dirty windscreens would support this.

I think you may be right, notice also that the higher ride height of D6111, as if it has been de-fuelled. There's certainly a lot of fuel/oil down the sides. D6111 was used after withdrawal as carriage heater at Cowlairs in Dec '68 and Jan '69 so the fuel stains might possibly relate to that.

Well after the "fun" of converting my 29 to EM Gauge, I finally got to run it in anger on North Ballachulish this last weekend at Model Rail Scotland. I'm pleased to report it ran without trouble all weekend, a fine, almost silent runner, running just as good as the Sutton 24 which also made its debut.

In fact it ran so well I went and got a two tone green one. Bring out the wheel puller.

501719540_29capture.jpg.b274767f227114e3aaad243068b10a38.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/02/2020 at 10:23, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The H-D Deltic is best politely forgotten, under the heading 'great crimes committed late in their career by once leading model producers'. It could almost as well be a candidate for the Class 37... How bad was the H-D 28?

Should that Ssouthern electro-weasel thing be on the list too? Same sort of dates as the class 50.

the Horby Dublo 28 bodyshell  matches drawings,  the failing is the model is devoid of  apparatus  suspended from the underframe

Edited by Pandora
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2020 at 21:23, adb968008 said:

The bright green on the Dapol one, compares loudly to the much darker looking shade on the above picture.

i’m waiting for the full yellow ended versions, before I judge the sealed doors.

however I have the good book in front of me, and page 68 shows D6114 in Inverurie works for attention, in its workstained class 29 guise, and those sealed doors are exceptionally visible !

It does seem that the door welds were much smoother than what is represented on the BR blue model.......Filler it has to be!! Has anybody got a suggestion as to which manufacturers warning yellow best matches the shade of model for airbrushing?

THK

B

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2020 at 21:36, andytrains said:

Floppy lamp iron though!!!!

I was wondering what colour that lamp iron is, it doesn't look yellow...

theres a colour picture if it here, now its minus the “D”, the bracket looks blue, it also has a TOPS data panel..

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47894-sad-eyed-people-the-class-21-and-29-livery-resource/&do=findComment&comment=1795507

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, brenn said:

It does seem that the door welds were much smoother than what is represented on the BR blue model.......Filler it has to be!! Has anybody got a suggestion as to which manufacturers warning yellow best matches the shade of model for airbrushing?

THK

B

I was thinking to use a tiny bit of filler, then mix a bit of Phoenix Yellow, with some grey to lighten it to a match, them just use a tip of a cocktail stick to line out the filler, as there should be some outline visible.

Is it me or is the light green on the TTG 29 a little bit bright?

Comparing to photos of the real thing it looks much too light. Did it weather down more on 29s than it did on Brush 4s?

Having decided to have a bit of a 1971 ‘green’ cameo on Clackmannan Goods with a 29 and a 17 keeping modifications down to P4 wheels, couplings and weathering I now find myself thinking the blue 29 will be a better bet that doesn’t need a partial repaint to get it looking right.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Waveydavey said:

Is it me or is the light green on the TTG 29 a little bit bright?

Comparing to photos of the real thing it looks much too light. Did it weather down more on 29s than it did on Brush 4s?

Having decided to have a bit of a 1971 ‘green’ cameo on Clackmannan Goods with a 29 and a 17 keeping modifications down to P4 wheels, couplings and weathering I now find myself thinking the blue 29 will be a better bet that doesn’t need a partial repaint to get it looking right.

I reckon the early light green was lime green, thinking of early Deltics and Hymeks. I'm sure it was toned down for the later BR Sulzer Type 2s and Brush 4s.

11 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I reckon the early light green was lime green, thinking of early Deltics and Hymeks. I'm sure it was toned down for the later BR Sulzer Type 2s and Brush 4s.

From memory I think the lighter green was referred to as 'Sherwood' Green. Photos of early diesels in plain all over green seem to be shades of olive green rather than Brunswick or maybe that is down to film emulsions of the day

D336 Vulcan loco.jpg

• Agree 1